+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Gaming Thread, Next generation consoles. What to expect in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And why would Microsoft do this? They'd be changing from being a gaming power house to a peripheral maker... Not exactly improving their position in the market.
    They can try and make more consoles but a subscription based gaming service which is about say 80 for arguements sake vs buying an expensive console with maybe one controller and one or two very cheap games

With the cloud solution you at least get a bunch of games and are ready to rock and roll where as with the console solution ie PS 3 or even an XBOX 360, the console is aprox 200 plus without any games and one controller.

Ref only being a peripheral maker that was with regards to another comment ie different controllers that xbox ( Microsoft ), Wii ( Nintendo ) etc make and they can still use said controllers with a cloud solution and keep the console / computers in a data centre and do everything on line.

Personally I would go with the cloud solution if a few of them went with it as it would mean it would be cheaper, easier and I could get all the games I wanted online as apposed to having to order stuff and wait for the postal service to get my game to me in a reasonable condition or me going out to buy the console / games / controllers etc

I would only have to get the starter kit that would connect to my router at home and have as many controllers as I wanted and I could manage which games / gaming packs I want via a quick and easy online purchase and the game(s) would be ready to play after the download ( which with the connection I have would be fairly fast ) or a lot quicker then waiting a good 3 days to get it via snail mail or even quicker then me going to the store, would take me a good 2 hours to get a game from the store.

edited

I can see what you are saying ref the internet connection going down although if it does go down it isnt normally for too long that I have experienced with Virgin Media and as of yet have not had my internet go down when I want to use it - they normally do maintenance in the early hours of the morning ie 4am.

Think it stopped working once on mine but that was only due to BeThere not advising me that they were changing there DNS Servers and called there tech support number and there was a voicemail before anyone answered advising of the new DNS Server IP Addys so that resolved that issue.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 3rd December 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OnLive is an interesting concept but I've never been able to see how centralised hardware for this sort of application could be better than local hardware. Indeed I was reading Ars Tecnica's review of this the other day and they were using words such as 'noticeable drop of frame rate', 'compressed images' and 'automatic resolution adjustment'.

It's clever technology but it is already struggling. What's going to happen if they get the subscriber numbers the average console sells? (apparantly 44.6million XBOX 360's sold so far!). Is it really cheaper putting the hardware to power 40 million consoles in the cloud? What sort of an effect would those sorts of number have on lag? Whats the contention ratio's of the broadband connections and the host hardware?

I like the idea of subscription based gaming rather than out right purchases of individual titles, it may get more online players for other whys usually unpopular online games (monopoly, risk, sort of thing). I like the idea of downloading games rather than buying physical media - I personally find it a more convenient format. But I think streaming has too many pitfalls to work reliably anytime soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    OnLive is an interesting concept but I've never been able to see how centralised hardware for this sort of application could be better than local hardware. Indeed I was reading Ars Tecnica's review of this the other day and they were using words such as 'noticeable drop of frame rate', 'compressed images' and 'automatic resolution adjustment'.

It's clever technology but it is already struggling. What's going to happen if they get the subscriber numbers the average console sells? (apparantly 44.6million XBOX 360's sold so far!). Is it really cheaper putting the hardware to power 40 million consoles in the cloud? What sort of an effect would those sorts of number have on lag? Whats the contention ratio's of the broadband connections and the host hardware?

I like the idea of subscription based gaming rather than out right purchases of individual titles, it may get more online players for other whys usually unpopular online games (monopoly, risk, sort of thing). I like the idea of downloading games rather than buying physical media - I personally find it a more convenient format. But I think streaming has too many pitfalls to work reliably anytime soon.
    good points - maybe they could still sell consoles / controllers and give the user the choice when they purchase a title ( whether game or movie ) to

1. Download to own or rent ( without physical media )
    2. Download to own or rent ( including physical media )

That way like the PS 3 store you can download the game straight away without having to leave the sofa and once it has downloaded you can play the game, not really checked for popular games as it seems that I would have to purchase said titles from places on or off line ie play.com, amazon.co.uk or going to a store in person.

Although knowing my luck if they did this - they would charge more

Although if they improved broadband speed as per say japan / hong kong or the likes - gigabit to home

Then they wouldnt need compression or as much compression
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th December 2010 at 05:23 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456