+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Next generation consoles. What to expect in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by jamesb I did mention that it would be throttled - if I go over 10GB a month ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I did mention that it would be throttled - if I go over 10GB a month then I get throttled to 1Mb/s for the next month. At the time I got it they were offering an 8Mb/s package, which is the fastest my line will handle and I refuse to pay for speeds 'up to' 20 Mb/s if I can't get them.
    Then that is your choice, not theirs. You can't claim that you can't get the connectivity simply because you disagree with some of the pricing...

Yes, which'll give us great high-speed connectivity. Now what about server bandwidth availability? While we're on the server-client model still, we'll need servers which can cope with all of this new high-speed access.

Again though, if CCNx comes in then the game's going to change completely and we may actually get the speeds they're boasting about. At that point streaming live games to consoles with no local storage at all (maybe a few gig for saves) will be an option. Even if that happens though I doubt it'll be adopted immeadiately.
    Last I checked, data-centres kept up with bandwidth requirements of their customers... Look at Google, they have mega connectivity - as does any company which offers server side stuff.

You are throwing obstacles in the way that don't actually exist now, let alone in 5 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    But you could afford the $120 for a new release game? (That's the price for Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 from Mighty Ape.co.nz). Compared to the UK where it is £38.
    Yes but that ia the game plus the media, downloading it still incures the charge to buy it along with the additional bandwidth cost. Its not like they are going to give you the game free as the internet costs so much. Alongside that is the percived value, lots of people will part with the $130-$140 per game but would not on something like internet access.

When the delivery method costs as much as the product you need to reassess.

As you say, in five years such things ay be viable in many more places but certainly not all, these are likely to be much smaller non-westernised markets though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You are throwing obstacles in the way that don't actually exist now, let alone in 5 years.
    Not exactly, I'm just trying to explain why I believe we'll go to a streaming model rather than a download model. With the size of the downloads requiring certain speeds anyway, you'll be better off streaming the game directly rather than pulling it down to your computer and having your own local copy.

This'll also allow games to be much, much bigger (since local disk space is irrelevant), DLC will now just unlock new areas/levels, and DRM will no longer be an issue since you won't be able to copy the game. All of this, however, requires the infrastructure to be in place and possibly a brand new networking model based much more on a web of server/clients rather than a single server (meaning anything up to a full datacenter).

I can see the day when the gaming methods described in Halting State become a reality much more easily than I can the day when digital distribution is the rule.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Meh, listen to you all with your Xboxes, PS3's and tiggle giggle grigglelop GXMXBMX cards. My system makes all of yours look and smell like a pair of stinky pants:

This my friend is pure power.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I had wondered where the cpu from my toaster had got to

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Meh, listen to you all with your Xboxes, PS3's and tiggle giggle grigglelop GXMXBMX cards. My system makes all of yours look and smell like a pair of stinky pants:

whoa whoa whoa, you got 6 games with yours. is that the binatone with downloadable content? bloody showoff!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    The next Xbox will be released sometime in 2012 with an AMD Fusion II processor.

http://www.kitguru.net/software/gami...-for-xbox-720/

Although this is a rumour, it does sound plausible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I was thinking services similar to onlive.com

Welcome to OnLive.com

That way you don't have to worry about compatibility ie this game only works on xbox or PS3 or wii etc, you pay the subscription fee, all the GPU / CPU work is done in data centres and you just use your net connection - would be good if virgin media or other broadband providers would get to around a 100mbps or even 50mbps.

Then you have access to all the games, no discs or much of anything else laying around to be trashed / scratched etc.

Onlive.com is offering the starter bundle for $99 which I reckon would be around the £60 mark give or take a bit and then aprox $10 a month to subscribe to the game pack which is around a fiver ??

That's where I think gaming will end up once broadband improves to reasonable speeds.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That way you don't have to worry about compatibility ie this game only works on xbox or PS3 or wii etc, you pay the subscription fee, all the GPU / CPU work is done in data centres and you just use your net connection - would be good if virgin media or other broadband providers would get to around a 100mbps or even 50mbps.
    I can't see the console makers going for this. If you don't have to worry about compatibility how are they going to differentiate themselves from the competition?

More importantly, where's the room for innovation (such as the Wii when it came out) if you have to use the same control interface for everyone?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A lot of console makers don't make money from the hardware itself. It's the accessories, the games, licenses etc...

Thank Post
    I can't see the console makers going for this. If you don't have to worry about compatibility how are they going to differentiate themselves from the competition?
    Live game streaming already in Beta

Thats Mass Effect 2 in HD played on a stock EEE netbook, console makers might not get a choice in the matter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    Live game streaming already in Beta

Thats Mass Effect 2 in HD played on a stock EEE netbook, console makers might not get a choice in the matter.
    Which'll end the console wars. That'd be a great loss. Most of the innovation comes out of trying to get one up on the competition - if they're all just getting identical games, why bother trying to come up with a USP?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Which'll end the console wars. That'd be a great loss. Most of the innovation comes out of trying to get one up on the competition - if they're all just getting identical games, why bother trying to come up with a USP?
    They could sell there own controller(s) and have there own game subscription packs and still continue - just it will be electronic aside from the controller and game packs - as per the one / link I posted, it was 10 US Dollars for one game pack so they could make there own game packs / controllers etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    They could sell there own controller(s) and have there own game subscription packs and still continue - just it will be electronic aside from the controller and game packs - as per the one / link I posted, it was 10 US Dollars for one game pack so they could make there own game packs / controllers etc.
    And why would Microsoft do this? They'd be changing from being a gaming power house to a peripheral maker... Not exactly improving their position in the market.

Thank Post
    Hmm, I've been thinking about this after reading this topic...

In regard to streaming, I somehow doubt that this will happen yet. The whole reason why I don't really like streaming that much is because I like to have a copy of whatever media it is that I have downloaded. Even if my internet does go down (and it does... dodgy BT) it means that I can still watch/play/listen to the media on my hard drive and with 2TB of space, I'm not going to run out of that any time soon. I think that a lot of others also see this the same way.

I think that the future will simply expand upon what we have now. VR may eventually come along but it is a way off at the moment. All of this motion control business is great but what I find is... how long can you actually stay moving around in front of a console before you simply get tired out? I'm quite fit but even the wii controller begins to hurt after a while of doing similar sorts of motion!

For the near future, 3D gaming will probably also take off... and I'm not talking about the kind where you need any glasses to see the 3D effect, this will be 3D by just looking at the screen.

Decent voice controls as well... imagine being able to issue specific commands to your squad in Call of Duty? "Alpha One, Shoot the guy on the top of the ridge"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast