+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Next generation consoles. What to expect in Fun Stuff; nlike on the PC, you can't download games like Call of Duty: Black Ops on consoles can you? There are ...

Thank Post
    nlike on the PC, you can't download games like Call of Duty: Black Ops on consoles can you?
    There are lots of full games for download, but I like to have a disk that I can take to the game shop and get some money back on.

Thank Post
    So who can bring themselves to buy one of those lady toys for the ps3? why did they not try and make it look better then the wii controller?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That is simply a decision by the studios. There's no technical reason not.
    A couple of game downloads each month, which is much less than I'd buy normally, would probably bump me over my download limit and get my broadband throttled\suspended.

Of course, that's not a technical reason but is something to bear in mind for us poor people stuck with very little choice on broadband.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    So who can bring themselves to buy one of those lady toys for the ps3?
    you've given a whole new meaning to 'motion sensors' and re-opened an old gaming market...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    A couple of game downloads each month, which is much less than I'd buy normally, would probably bump me over my download limit and get my broadband throttled\suspended.
    Well that's partly a politcal question for the government and an economic question for ISP's. I think everyone in the telecoms industry know which direction the market is going in. DLC of various types is becoming more important now, let alone in some future console time frame. Customers are already saturating ISP's bandwidths and complaining about imposed caps. Given the time frame we are talking about I would expect to see some major changed over the next five years to broadband speeds, prices and caps.

If for no other reason than mobile operators will soon be beating at traditional ISP doors with their 4G offerings...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Internet rumour mills do indeed point to a 'Wii-HD' being the next move, it's a strong brand and I expect Nintendo will look to draw more of the 'hardcore' crowd with a machine that will play ports of games from the other formats, while remaining casual-friendly.
    That's all the Playstation Move is, a 'Wii-HD'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Of course, that's not a technical reason but is something to bear in mind for us poor people stuck with very little choice on broadband.
    You can't get BT broadband then? The BT package I'm on is unlimited (well, within reason)...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No get be unlimited there speed is brilliant! I have been with them years now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can't get BT broadband then? The BT package I'm on is unlimited (well, within reason)...
    I certainly can't $120 per month for 40GB and $2 per GB above that, gaming markets are not just limited to the US, UK and Japan. There are still many places a long way away from even the current level of internet affordability enjoyed by the US/UK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I certainly can't $120 per month for 40GB and $2 per GB above that, gaming markets are not just limited to the US, UK and Japan. There are still many places a long way away from even the current level of internet affordability enjoyed by the US/UK.
    But you could afford the $120 for a new release game? (That's the price for Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 from Mighty Ape.co.nz). Compared to the UK where it is £38.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine's unlimited too, so long as I don't go over 10GB/month...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine's unlimited too, so long as I don't go over 10GB/month...
    Then you're with a poor provider. It isn't anyone's fault that you chose to go with someone who only provides a 10GB cap.

You're kinda missing the point anyway! Sure, some people would struggle *right now* to download content, but in 5 years, do you really think it'll be the same?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then you're with a poor provider. It isn't anyone's fault that you chose to go with someone who only provides a 10GB cap.
    I'm with BT, on the best package they provide in my area.

You're kinda missing the point anyway! Sure, some people would struggle *right now* to download content, but in 5 years, do you really think it'll be the same?
    In five years I doubt there'll have been a completely revitalised infrastructure capable of supporting so much additional demand (although if there is it does raise the question of why you'd have any content downloaded locally at all), unless CCNx gets going which'd change the ballgame completely.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the vast majority of "unlimited" internet packages have a "fair use" policy ("fair use"? what's fair in advertising something as unlimited when it clearly isn't?)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm with BT, on the best package they provide in my area.
    Then you're being fibbed to. Regardless of where you are, you have the BT Home Broadband Package 3 available at £27.99 a month normal price. This has no cap, but fair use. I have hit 70GB a month a few times and have never heard anything from them about limits. A 10GB limit means you are on the most basic package.

In five years I doubt there'll have been a completely revitalised infrastructure capable of supporting so much additional demand (although if there is it does raise the question of why you'd have any content downloaded locally at all), unless CCNx gets going which'd change the ballgame completely.
    As the 21CN should be nearing completion in 5 years time, and the fibre rollout will be well under way, along with companies like Virgin rolling out 100Mbit connectivity soon. The likelihood of some form of high-speed connectivity being available in the majority of areas will be quite high in 5 years time. The same can be said of many counties in Europe, America and even Asia...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then you're being fibbed to. Regardless of where you are, you have the BT Home Broadband Package 3 available at £27.99 a month normal price. This has no cap, but fair use. I have hit 70GB a month a few times and have never heard anything from them about limits. A 10GB limit means you are on the most basic package.
    I did mention that it would be throttled - if I go over 10GB a month then I get throttled to 1Mb/s for the next month. At the time I got it they were offering an 8Mb/s package, which is the fastest my line will handle and I refuse to pay for speeds 'up to' 20 Mb/s if I can't get them.

As the 21CN should be nearing completion in 5 years time, and the fibre rollout will be well under way, along with companies like Virgin rolling out 100Mbit connectivity soon. The likelihood of some form of high-speed connectivity being available in the majority of areas will be quite high in 5 years time. The same can be said of many counties in Europe, America and even Asia...
    Yes, which'll give us great high-speed connectivity. Now what about server bandwidth availability? While we're on the server-client model still, we'll need servers which can cope with all of this new high-speed access.

Again though, if CCNx comes in then the game's going to change completely and we may actually get the speeds they're boasting about. At that point streaming live games to consoles with no local storage at all (maybe a few gig for saves) will be an option. Even if that happens though I doubt it'll be adopted immeadiately.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast