+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Next generation consoles. What to expect in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by kevbaz i wonder if anyones original PS3 or 360 will actually live seamlessly for 10years? my ps3 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    i wonder if anyones original PS3 or 360 will actually live seamlessly for 10years? my ps3 decided to stop working this weekend and is stuck on trying to install an update which it always fails! was working fine before... but its out of warrenty and im not paying for it to be fixed! my origional xbox rrod and could never be fixed! my 2nd i recently sold when i bought the new 360 'slim'
    Have you tried recovery mode to reflash firmware? The other way is swapping the HDs out and letting it reformat. You've only got a software failure and most of the time you can recover these (you may lose lots).

PS3 = 4 years this month.

Has anyone got their first/second year 360 and is it still working?
    I dont know anyone that has had less than 4 replacements!

PS4/XBOX3 will still be a bit off yet. MS will blink first imho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Agreed. I dare say they will also release an inferior games console but the console will survive due to the strength of its games. IMO that's what happened when the 360 was released. They clearly could have built a much better machine if they'd included wireless, free online gaming (I know it's notpartof the machine but so what), HD drives (I know they released HD-DVD drives for the 360 but they died off and then did nothing to replace them) etc... There were so many things Microsoft did wrong, which had they done right they'd have killed the PS3 off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    So expect uber-large (1TB+) SSD hard drives to download your gaming content on to.
    That's very optimistic don't you think? Even by 2014, SSDs will be nowhere near cheap enough to put a 1TB+ drive in a console that is expected to sell for less than 500. I know they initially make a loss on each console, but not that much of a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    But the biggest change will be no optical drive.
    I reckon both of Microsoft's and Sony's next gen consoles will definitely have Blu-Ray drives. People aren't going to download 5-10GB+ games when ISPs in the UK have such ridiculously low bandwidth caps. For example, BT Internet give customers a "whopping 40GB" on thier 17.99 package, but that would quickly be used up after downloading several games.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    You're a fool if you buy the Xbox720......wait for the Xbox1080p instead

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I suspect Nintendo will be the next to bring something out, but I've absolutely no idea what it'll be. I wouldn't have seen the Wii's motion control coming, and it wouldn't surprise me if they bring in something else new to differentiate themselves.

Maybe those thought control helmets?
    Are Nintendo considering a HD environment does anyone know? I remember when I had a Wii (context) I thought the max 540 output was no where near good enough coming from PS3/Xbox environment.

I suppose that would be an easy re-issue of the console.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seanlaz View Post
    Are Nintendo considering a HD environment does anyone know? I remember when I had a Wii (context) I thought the max 540 output was no where near good enough coming from PS3/Xbox environment.

I suppose that would be an easy re-issue of the console.
    It would be an easy one, but also a bit of a waste. Lets be honest - the Wii is never going to compete on graphics with either of the powerhouses, and very few people play the Wii for photorealistic graphics as they might other consoles. You'd also need to (probably) go back and rewrite the existing library of games to take advantage of any new graphics capabilities.

I'd be very surprised if they did a re-issue with shiny new graphics, and suspect they're much more likely to just bring out something new and different.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    New console? erm ... still happily playing stuff on my original Playstation, the PS2 and the Wii ... WoW is on PC and Mac ... Do I really need anything else? Oh ... I could dig out the Gameboy I suppose?

Unless there is a killer game for a console I wouldn't change. For me it is WiiSports and WiiFit, or any of the old Final Fantasy stuff on PS/PS2.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    It would be an easy one, but also a bit of a waste. Lets be honest - the Wii is never going to compete on graphics with either of the powerhouses, and very few people play the Wii for photorealistic graphics as they might other consoles. You'd also need to (probably) go back and rewrite the existing library of games to take advantage of any new graphics capabilities.

I'd be very surprised if they did a re-issue with shiny new graphics, and suspect they're much more likely to just bring out something new and different.
    Agreed, maybe not a straight HD re-issue, but something along those lines which they could use the Redknapp's or the Wright's to convince us to buy a new one

Just did a Google and it seems like it's a route Nintendo were tentatively planning back in 2008; a WiiHD for a 2011 release strangely enough - doesn't seem to have been followed up though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Oh ... I could dig out the Gameboy I suppose?
    Gameboys...i always wanted one growing up...i then had the opportunity to get one around 92, but opted for an Atari Lynx () instead...wasnt the best choice i ever made.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    That's very optimistic don't you think? Even by 2014, SSDs will be nowhere near cheap enough to put a 1TB+ drive in a console that is expected to sell for less than 500. I know they initially make a loss on each console, but not that much of a loss.
    really? 5 years is a long time in IT. I'd be shocked if SSD technology doesn't improve, become better, faster, cheaper and a lot more common place in 4 years. Economics of scale and all that.

I reckon both of Microsoft's and Sony's next gen consoles will definitely have Blu-Ray drives. People aren't going to download 5-10GB+ games when ISPs in the UK have such ridiculously low bandwidth caps. For example, BT Internet give customers a "whopping 40GB" on thier 17.99 package, but that would quickly be used up after downloading several games.
    I'm not so sure. Again 5years being an eternity in IT and all that. If they do have Optical Drives then they'd be the last generation that do, certainly be cheap enough to implement by then.

If you look at the existing online PS3 and XBox stores and look at services like Steam then downloading games is already a very real reality. Split games into levels and chapters and downloading a level to play at a time is one very easy solution. Also we are already seeing the introduction of services such as OnLive streaming games so I think, even if they do still have blu-ray, this will be the major push of the next gen.

I'm surprised you didn't call me out on the iOS9 on PS4 - now I thought that was far fetched

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Agreed. I dare say they will also release an inferior games console but the console will survive due to the strength of its games. IMO that's what happened when the 360 was released. They clearly could have built a much better machine if they'd included wireless, free online gaming (I know it's notpartof the machine but so what), HD drives (I know they released HD-DVD drives for the 360 but they died off and then did nothing to replace them) etc... There were so many things Microsoft did wrong, which had they done right they'd have killed the PS3 off.
    I don't think its a case of killing it off, the PS3 was always going to be big, simply with their brand exclusives that Sony own and doing a slightly better job on the hardware and large capacity optical drive. MS done very well to get where they are so fast and how far they stayed ahead.

The main trouble it has now is the DVD drive, big titles content is being cut back to fit on a disk (or few). The 'big' titles are only getting bigger in terms of scale of game (not always equal in length of single player mission). I think MS would rather create a new physical format than use bluray, not really wanted by the market moment. In the mean time Kinect will string it out while they improve the R&D to make it a major feature of the next system. This limit on content for 360 could play into Sonys hands a little, theres quite a few 'big' games next year and a GT game is only making its first showing on PS3. Shorten the cycle and MS can mark it as 'won'..... milk the live cashcow and risk not getting out before Sony, the very thing that got them where they are now.

Thank Post
    Have you tried recovery mode to reflash firmware? The other way is swapping the HDs out and letting it reformat. You've only got a software failure and most of the time you can recover these (you may lose lots).

PS3 = 4 years this month.

Has anyone got their first/second year 360 and is it still working?
    I dont know anyone that has had less than 4 replacements!

Have tried everything, new hard drive freshly formatted and the latest firmware on a usb, ps3 formats fine, installs fine but then always fails about 65% on any firmaware. i belive its to do with the wifi/bluetooth board so ive orderd a new one, the ps3 is alot easier to take apart than the xbox i can tell you! haha

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Have tried everything, new hard drive freshly formatted and the latest firmware on a usb, ps3 formats fine, installs fine but then always fails about 65% on any firmaware. i belive its to do with the wifi/bluetooth board so ive orderd a new one, the ps3 is alot easier to take apart than the xbox i can tell you! haha
    On modern firmware it'll fail to do an upgrade if any connections are lose, inc the wifi board and the BR drive, worth checking and reseating your connections especially if you have taken it apart.

Also, people are very, very close to releasing a opensource sony jig allowing the flashing of any retail firmware (the one they use to repair units), without the checks your one is carrying out and failing. The source code is available, someone needs to do a dump of the HV in linux so a key can be had.

Thank Post
    When i took it apart i double checked everything and it was all snug, the thing hasnt moved from its spot in 2 years and i dont play on the it at all, only use it for blueray and i think ive had a problem with the controller so had been using a usb cable, i use Lovefilm and you can now stream to the ps3 with certain subscriptions with them and as i didnt have the latest firmware it wouldnt let me go online, only reason i did the update.

Thank Post
    By 2015 the 360 will be a long way behind the times. Though I have to say the FPS games out on it at the moment are pretty damn good considering the limited hardware. 512MB ram has to seriously impact the scale of games. I hope the next gen will go for a minimum spec of say 4gigs of ram with 1 GB of dedicated video memory. Possibly with 6 cores. This today would be considered an average good PC spec, in 5 years it will be bargain basement crud. When the xbox 360 came out it was on par with a mid range PC, now it is bargain basement crud.

I have two xboxes at home though, the second upstairs just as a media extender for watching films and listening to music in bed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think its a case of killing it off, the PS3 was always going to be big, simply with their brand exclusives that Sony own and doing a slightly better job on the hardware and large capacity optical drive. MS done very well to get where they are so fast and how far they stayed ahead.

The main trouble it has now is the DVD drive, big titles content is being cut back to fit on a disk (or few). The 'big' titles are only getting bigger in terms of scale of game (not always equal in length of single player mission). I think MS would rather create a new physical format than use bluray, not really wanted by the market moment. In the mean time Kinect will string it out while they improve the R&D to make it a major feature of the next system. This limit on content for 360 could play into Sonys hands a little, theres quite a few 'big' games next year and a GT game is only making its first showing on PS3. Shorten the cycle and MS can mark it as 'won'..... milk the live cashcow and risk not getting out before Sony, the very thing that got them where they are now.
    I don't think the DVD drive is that much of an issue with the advent of downloadable content packs. Downloading a gig of data is not a massive issue for most people any more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast