+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
Gaming Thread, So.... Kinect in Fun Stuff; Whos got one, getting one? Lets have a bit of a review please...
  1. #1

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,389
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 437 Times in 286 Posts
    Rep Power
    195

    So.... Kinect

    Whos got one, getting one?

    Lets have a bit of a review please

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    284
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    seen one in action in a game store the other day looks very impresive

  3. #3
    AngryITGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    298
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Will be getting one too as it does look very impressive.

    But I think I have left it a little late to get hold of on launch day

  4. #4

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    2,996
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 410 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    344

  5. #5

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,020
    Thank Post
    212
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    481
    can anyone say gimmick ;-)

    I'm sure when it first comes out it'll be like the wii and everyone will have their mates round to use it

    but - be honest - when you play a computer game you wanna slump and relax right? jumping around and waving your arms isn't exactly first thing on my mind when I get home.

    The voice recognition looks pretty snazzy, but I don't see it replacing physical controls anytime soon

  6. #6

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    Thank Post
    1,056
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Rep Power
    739

    Direct sunlight on your body kills Kinect.


  7. #7

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,389
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 437 Times in 286 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    can anyone say gimmick ;-)
    I think you, like a lot of people, are missing the point here!
    This isn't going to be a way of replacing a controller but a new way of improving the experience, like plugging in a headset this will add another dimension.
    I think that over time this technology amalgamated with other ideas will shape future computing and interfaces.

    MS really are pulling an Apple with this, taking existing technologies and making them better and more accessible, lets see if it works!

  8. #8

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,020
    Thank Post
    212
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I think you, like a lot of people, are missing the point here!
    This isn't going to be a way of replacing a controller but a new way of improving the experience, like plugging in a headset this will add another dimension.
    I think that over time this technology amalgamated with other ideas will shape future computing and interfaces.

    MS really are pulling an Apple with this, taking existing technologies and making them better and more accessible, lets see if it works!
    150bucks of extra rubbish they can push at you ;-)

    You really think say, the next gears of war is gonna use Kinect integration to any meaningful level?

    To make the integration worthwhile it'd have to be a key gameplay mechanic - which means you'd make the game for kinect, which means anyone without it misses out.

    Sorry, but I don't see publishers getting behind it, and it'll just fade away, as did Sony's EyeToy, and every Wii that hasn't been switched on in six months....like mine. and my old flatmates. and probably most of everyones on here :-p

  9. #9

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,095
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    I say combine it with some form of wrap around screen technology and get some form of 'virtual reality' at a very cheap price. Something like one of those screen headsets which you wear like glasses.

  10. #10

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,389
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 437 Times in 286 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

    Sorry, but I don't see publishers getting behind it, and it'll just fade away, as did Sony's EyeToy, and every Wii that hasn't been switched on in six months....like mine. and my old flatmates. and probably most of everyones on here :-p
    Your right, it probably will! But that isn't the point... yes I had a Wii, got tired of it and sold it, but, look at the tech behind it, its very clever, and in some way based on how ASIMO uses it for object recognition. Benjamin Apple - ASIMO

    Look at it as a way the xbox can interact with you and its surroundings instead of how crap it will be for controlling an FPS!

  11. #11

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,020
    Thank Post
    212
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Your right, it probably will! But that isn't the point... yes I had a Wii, got tired of it and sold it, but, look at the tech behind it, its very clever, and in some way based on how ASIMO uses it for object recognition. Benjamin Apple - ASIMO

    Look at it as a way the xbox can interact with you and its surroundings instead of how crap it will be for controlling an FPS!
    I'm not denying the tech demos are very impressive.

    however real world usage is a different thing - and as early reviews have showed if you don't exactly fit to microsofts constraints it stops working.

    If think there was a line in the gizmodo review along the lines of "you'd hate to spend money on this thing only for it to tell you to get a bigger domicile"

    Lets just say I don't see it being revolutionary in its current form - but who knows where the tech will go, I'm sure there's much better suited applications for it

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    328
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    I've just got mine today, and really it is so awesome.
    It really is as good as people say it is. Only problem is that I need to buy some more games for it now

  13. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,095
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackd View Post
    Only problem is that I need to buy some more games for it now
    And in that one line you have explained why I don't buy the 'latest' consoles. I'm at least one generation behind. My last 8 original Xbox games cost me £2.50 each. So, I'll have a look at the Kinect in 10 years.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    328
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And in that one line you have explained why I don't buy the 'latest' consoles. I'm at least one generation behind. My last 8 original Xbox games cost me £2.50 each. So, I'll have a look at the Kinect in 10 years.
    Yeah games are fairly expensive new, but the sensor itself has the potential for quite a lot of stuff rather than just the xbox now that someone has released some windows drivers for it.

  15. #15


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,117
    Thank Post
    203
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    It will be interesting to see what people do with it now that it has been hacked...

    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/07/k...or-fame-video/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •