+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, World of Warcraft - Please explain in Fun Stuff; There are many MMORPGS out there that are a LOT more child friendly than Warcraft. Wizards101 has, IIRC, won critical ...
    Thank Post
    There are many MMORPGS out there that are a LOT more child friendly than Warcraft.
    Wizards101 has, IIRC, won critical acclaim for being family friendly and even wins with the kids for essentially being a Harry Potter Rip off.
    However as they are all online/chat enabled you really have to look carefully before jumping in, although the chat interface in Wizards is VERY restrictive (it even prevents the more common L33t alternatives).

There is also the consideration of payment method.. many MMO's (like Warcraft) have an up front payment PLUS a monthly subscription. Others offer one-off lifetime payment deals.
    Some, like the aforementioned Wizards101 are Free to Play, ie. they cost nothing to download and play BUT some may have a micropayments systems built in. Micropayment systems still require some cash outlay but all the content they provide will be described as "optional".. but there is still a large element of peer envy.. Your mate has paid the $$$ to have a swanky little dragon flying next to him... Cue cries of "mum mum mum"...

It is WELL worth doing the research fully beforehand.

(kicked the WoW habit 3 years ago. after 2 long years of happy addiction )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't mollycoddle them... get them on Eve Online and teach them important life lessons about economics, supply & demand, preparation above all and Not To Trust Your Fellow Man

(to be on topic, if only mildly: WoW is not going to be ok for primary kids. Think of it as the distilled anger and bad taste of the internet - there will always be someone screaming for attention in the only way they know how, through misbehaviour and social retardedness)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Don't mollycoddle them... get them on Eve Online and teach them important life lessons about economics, supply & demand, preparation above all and Not To Trust Your Fellow Man
    Don't forget the 'pay attention!' lesson too...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't forget the 'pay attention!' lesson too...
    THERE ARE NO TOILET BREAKS IN GATECAMPING

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    This is not suitable for a primary school child, the game is known to be very addictive and I've known personally people destroy relationships with how much they've played it.

My opinions above are based on playing it on/off since year 2 of university... it becomes a habit rather than enjoyable so I have to keep quitting the game, that's probably more of a reflection on my character than the game
    I very much agree - I had friends at university who got addicted and ended up doing nothing social anymore, just sitting in their room playing WoW all hours of the day and night, and if I did manage to get them down the pub they'd just be talking about their next "raid" as they had nothing else to talk about; for all intents and purposes they vanished from the real world. It was a shame because of course the frienships were just lost.

And yes I'd certianly say it's not right for a primary school aged child. Not because of the content of the game, but because of the online/social networking aspect side of it. You have no idea who the other online players are, and if they are using voice chat then you've not control over what the children hear either.

Thank Post
    I've been clean for over a year now - no WoW playing in all of that time.

I know the guild I played with (the guild who had completed the most content on our server) had a no minors policy and enforced it quite strictly. We all felt that the content of our chat room and teamspeak channel were not suitable for younger players.

Unfortunately not all guilds have rules like this - and perhaps in this day and age they should do for their own protection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    I've been clean for over a year now - no WoW playing in all of that time.

I know the guild I played with (the guild who had completed the most content on our server) had a no minors policy and enforced it quite strictly. We all felt that the content of our chat room and teamspeak channel were not suitable for younger players.

Unfortunately not all guilds have rules like this - and perhaps in this day and age they should do for their own protection.
    I like the use of the word clean :-P

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not guild chat that's the problem, it's Trade chat. The content varies from server to server, my own experience of public chat is that RP servers are considerably more tame and civil then PvP ones. On popular PvP servers I found public chat to consist of nothing but racist and hateful content (and again varies depending on faction imbalance, server population, etc).

But on all servers I'd generally not consider it a child friendly game at all due to the community. There are good people, but they are generally groups introduced to me by friends.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    What can I say other thank "Thanks Guys", this site was the unexpected outcome of chatting about internet use with a primary-age class ... of girls. Our largely female staff winced, but couldn't give precise detail on the website. This was the information about suitability we needed.

Thank Post
    I read this thread with interest. Although its about the suitability of WoW for primary school kids, this is also related to PS3.

I say PS3 as its the only machine i feel that has an open online connection method. What i mean by this is that anyone who has access to a PS3 and has the knowledge can set up an account that is online. You don't have to pay to do this, unlike the xbox 360.

With the payment method you at least get the cost restriction for the younger players.

Why do i bring this up? Well, many parents don't realise that their kids at home can use these machines to communicate with other players online.

I'm currently playing Killzone 2 on PS3 online and the chat from what i can see is global by default. Anyone who speaks can be heard by all through their TV. You can mute certain players as far as i know.

Many times i have spoken to staff at school who are unaware that their children are getting access online or even requesting xbox live connection for a prezzie and not knowing exactly what it entails.

Just thought i would mention it, that's all.

Thank Post
    A very good point HodgeHi

In my role as e-Safety trainer at school... I have been scaring the living daylights out of adults with this little nugget of information. My message to adults is that net-nanny software is all very well, but it only covers a PC. I've had several coming up to me afterwards saying "I didn't realise..."

What about the iPod and the xBox and the Wii and the PS3 and the mobile phone and the... ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    THERE ARE NO TOILET BREAKS IN GATECAMPING

There's quite a few NC carrier pilots who learned that the hard way.

Wonder if goons still hold the station where all my stuff is.

Thank Post
    I would agree that it is the social interaction that makes this game such a large no-no for primary kids - or frankly for use in any school.

You can turn the profanity filter on, but you are still going to get some retard sounding off in Trade or General chat, trying to cause a fuss. Yes, you can turn that channel off, but it isn't hard to turn it back on again.

Could you imagine taking 20 Yr 5s into Barrens chat? Horrifying!

Purely as a thought experiment LOTRO would be a far better option - far maturer community, the the Tolkein world is far more "child" friendly, especially at the first 10 levels.

Thank Post
    Can you imagine some of them being invited into a pug (pick up group) in any dungeon and having them ripped to shreds because they didnt know what they were doing? Wow is a great game, once you get into it a lot you start looking into spreadsheets to maximise your dps and make you a more effective player but it is so very very addictive, I certainly wouldnt drag anybody into it even though I really love playing it myself, I'm more of a social player though, lots of alts and no time to raid....
    I've said too much, i'm revealed as a geek and a wow addict aghhghghg.

Thank Post
    Don't be embarrassed Crowmanuk... it's handy having a forum of people where some will know things like this in detail. Count your gaming as research to help others!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast