+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Commodore 64, those were the days... in Fun Stuff; Cannot beat Dizzy!!! Loved him, did you ever complete magicland dizzy fully? I did once and it was brilliant, it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Cannot beat Dizzy!!! Loved him, did you ever complete magicland dizzy fully? I did once and it was brilliant, it was emulated on the PC when I did like but it was an amazing achievement

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Even though I'm only 21 (22 on 18th of Feb) the other day I was reminiscing about my love of our old Commodore 64 and how I loved playing Outrun and Thundercats etc... Well I got a special offers email from Play.com and check it out.

Anybody else for some retro gaming?
    Still got my 64 here however mine is different to most :-) I started with a Vic 20 and then one day discovered Evesham Micros were selling Commodore 64 motherboards. So I convinced my Dad so order one. We ripped out the insides of the Vic 20 and put in the 64. SO effectively we have a 64 in a Vic 20 case.

I loved it and coded many a public domain demo. I used to love the PD demos of the past. The closest we have now is www.scene.org. One of my favourite 64 demos was of a male toilet sign on an orange door dancing. Very cool.

I still have my 64 - my parents have it stored in their loft. It is there with the 1541 disk drive, an Action Replay cartridge, some tape decks and a 300baud modem. There is also a mouse which was part of the Mouse Cheese graphics set.

My favourite game was Ocean's Head over Heels. Although Wizball came close.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Sinclair Spectrum & The Lords of Midnight, anyone?
    I spent ages playing that as a kid - loved it!

Thank Post
    Forget your Commodore 64, this is what you wanted

I had one of these for years, learnt to program it quite well as well. We also had the 3" disc drive, and a very slow dot matrix printer to go with it. I think each disc stored 160k, and they were double sided, you actually turned the disc over to access the other side of it!

I believe it was one of the first computers to be marketed to home consumers that came with a dedicated monitor, so you didn't have to use your tele - genius!

Unfortunitely ours is no more, it went wrong a long time ago. I've often thought about buying another one thou.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 13th February 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Unfortunitely ours is no more, it went wrong a long time ago. I've often thought about buying another one thou.
    No need thanks to the world of Emulation. And Amstrad have released the Roms so CPC emulation is all legal and above board

EDIT: Didn't the C= Pet predate the CPC by about 6 years and come with a monitor?

Thank Post
    Don't laugh but i only had a Commodore 16 I remember all the games that came out for it were truncated versions of their C64 counterparts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Don't laugh but i only had a Commodore 16 I remember all the games that came out for it were truncated versions of their C64 counterparts.
    Wow - the black one? I remember that machine but never had one. I also remember the Plus 4 which was similar spec but a different case.

Did anyone every upgrade their 64 to the 128? A guy up the road had a 128 but I never bothered. I went from the C64 to an Acorn Archimedes A3010 (green keys) and started writing code for that.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

I share your pain. My first was a ZX81 and 2 years later my parents got me a C16. Possibly because it looked like a C64. After all, it it looks like a duck etc.....
    I have to admit though, it was quite powerful for a 16k machine, and most of the games were quite good. The Plus 4 was a 64k version with built in apps such as a word processor, spreadsheet etc and aimed at business.

Thank Post
    With that new Play.com thingy, do you still have to sit through the fuzzy patterned screens and wait for the loading times? If not, then it just ain't the same! lol!

Oh, btw, Paperboy and Way of the Exploding Fist Rule!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Sinclair Spectrum & The Lords of Midnight, anyone?
    Ugh, you just freaked me out.

I remember reading this thread on Friday, writing that exact comment, word for word, but never posted it because we were really busy.

I achieved a life goal about a month ago by beating Doomdark's Revenge with the overwhelming victory.

Nostalgia.

Thank Post
    international karate + and wizball was one of my favourites

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First C64 are then the hours spent typing in code from magazines..

As for music well I remember few years back being dragged to a trendy bar on the mall by Josie Fraser after conference one evening and it having a dj using old 8-bit music remixed.

Can't say I was overly impressed

Russ

Thank Post
    Games? Creatures 2 for me, still one of my favourite games ever.

Thank Post
    Hello, all..

I would be interested to know if the games on the included CD have been purchased with the suitable licence.

There's a common misconception that just because the games are 20+ years old, that individuals/companies are free to do with them as they please - which is most definitely not the case.

Copyright and IP still belongs to somebody somewhere, and some of the larger companies are fiercely protective of their old games. Examples are CodeMasters and Rare (AKA Ultimate).

Likewise, certain US Gold titles are a total no-no.

A lot of companies will be OK for emulation sites to host copies of their files, so long as the site asks, and that it's clear that it is for non-commercial usage.

Whoever makes this joystick may find themselves at the end of a harshly worded cease and desist. Oops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    And Amstrad have released the Roms so CPC emulation is all legal and above board
    For the machine itself, yes. Not for the games.

Sorry to lapse into Emulation bore mode... I help out with an emulation website (World of Spectrum), and spend a fair chunk of available free time over the last few years trying to locate authors and copyright holders to ask for their formal permission to host copies of their games.. If NTL ever put a limit on monthly emails, I'm scuppered

Cheers,
    Gerard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast