+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, What do you use your WII for...? in Fun Stuff; I was "forced" to get involved in the kid's WII after GAME p...ed me off by not exchanging a WII ...

Thank Post

What do you use your WII for...?

I was "forced" to get involved in the kid's WII after GAME p...ed me off by not exchanging a WII disk that gave read errors after 9 months, I was motivated to explore the murky subject of backing up games.

This may be old hat to everyone else but I was amazed how easy this was and also what else the WII could do without too much effort - and hey, we're all Geeks aren't we....?

1) With a bit of work you can bung a USB disk on the WII USB port and copy all your games onto the hard disk. Not only does this provide a good backup - the games load much quicker and you can change games without having to walk across the room! The application (USB launcher) is pretty cool, all the games are shown with their box covers on a rotating carousel and you just click to load.

2) On the same disk but different partition you can load .avi .mpg .jpg .mp3 files and play from the WII, (using embedded Mplayer). Also play the same from a FAT32 memory stick

3) You can also play movies and listen to music over wifi link from files stored on a remote PC, (using Mplayer/samba).

4) You can load a BBC Iplayer client onto WII and watch (not store) BBC TV via wifi link. Iplayer is a free app from the on-line Nintendo store

5) There is an embedded browser and Youtube - but these seem too cumbersome to effectively use as there is no proper keyboard

6) Wii-Earth - similar to google earth

Has anyone else found any other interesting uses for their WII....?

Thank Post
    Here's a few other uses :-)

YouTube - wii remote whiteboard

Thank Post
    This may be old hat to everyone else but I was amazed how easy this was
    I haven't got to that bit yet, does it survive system updates etc? We've got a cheap, probably 27th hand game that is a bit scratched and although it works so far, it would be nice to know if everything on there is readable i.e. it won't choke at some point.

I did add and use the iPlayer, although sorting the wi-fi annoyed me coz after lots of getting nowhere I had to tell the AP to do TKIP in addition to AES. iPlayer video and sound has a habit of getting out of sync sometimes and annoyingly just pausing it for a bit doesn't seem to help. I think YouTube looks crap in non-expanded mode on even a moderate sized telly (28"), so gave up on that.

you can change games without having to walk across the room!
    You mean you're not jumping all over the room smashing the furniture in the first place? Are you sure you got the right console?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Here's a few other uses :-)

YouTube - wii remote whiteboard
    We use Wii-mote whiteboards in 2 of our class rooms. One of the kids made the software better too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    I was "forced" to get involved in the kid's WII after GAME p...ed me off by not exchanging a WII disk that gave read errors after 9 months, I was motivated to explore the murky subject of backing up games.

This may be old hat to everyone else but I was amazed how easy this was and also what else the WII could do without too much effort - and hey, we're all Geeks aren't we....?

1) With a bit of work you can bung a USB disk on the WII USB port and copy all your games onto the hard disk. Not only does this provide a good backup - the games load much quicker and you can change games without having to walk across the room! The application (USB launcher) is pretty cool, all the games are shown with their box covers on a rotating carousel and you just click to load.
    Not old hat to me - hadn't heard of it at all. We currently have two games that the disks are very noisy while playing - I guess they are not perfectly flat.

Can you give a link to the product you used? Google throws up a few links to USB Launcher and USB Loader, but most of them seem fairly dodgy.

Thanks - good thread!

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to see that info too.. I thought I was the only lazy WII owner!

Thank Post
    started backing mine up after little un tried putting mario kart and wii sports in at the same time and scratched my mario kart beyond repair.

It doesnt survive updates although it is possible to download the parts of the update you need ie just the shopping channel on your pc then install it.

Tend to mainly use mine to watch films with geexbox and for the iplayer, have just installed mame to relive some of my mispent youth.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    Has anyone else found any other interesting uses for their WII....?
    Well, there's obviously Wii Fit as an exercise machine, and as a yoga trainer in the morning to help me wake up.

On the occasions that I have family or friends up for a party I usually have the Wii acting as a digital photo frame, or one of the WiiWare little games running on it for people to pick up and put down.

Since I don't have a television, or a television license, iPlayer's a handy feature to have and the updated channel is far, far better than the old one.

The weather forecast or the news are quite pleasant to just leave running in the background.

On occasion, a music center, though usually the XBox is hijacked for that.

House noticeboard on the calendar. It saves having one hanging on the wall.

Message center - since I now live quite a distance from family, I get pictures and messages about my nephew and niece sent to me via the messaging, as well as organising family Bomberman tournaments every few weeks. Nice way to keep in touch when I don't feel like having the computer on (most evenings) or phoning for a long chat.

Thank Post
    USB Loader GX, work for every game I have tried! But as well as the actual loader program, you need to install the correct cISO's...
    I am currently writing up a little guide with the files that should make this very very easy for people if anyone is interested?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pscott View Post
    USB Loader GX, work for every game I have tried! But as well as the actual loader program, you need to install the correct cISO's...
    I am currently writing up a little guide with the files that should make this very very easy for people if anyone is interested?
    Yeah definitely interested in that

Thank Post
    The only "issue" with USB Loader GX, is that the USB Hard Drive must be formatted to WBFS, and AFAIK this must be done on windows

You can do it directly on the Wii, I have just tested... But it will format the entire drive

Thank Post
    Another interested party

Thank Post
    Yeah, me too. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    I'd be interested to see that info too.. I thought I was the only lazy WII owner!
    I blindly (but very carefull!) followed the instructions on:

New 3.1-4.1 Softmod for ANY Wii

Parts were a bit scary, it's unfamiliar territory, ie loading and replacing WADS, cIOS, DOLs, IOS, stubs etc - so it was a bit of a leap of faith, luckily it worked fine first time. I haven't updated the WII since - but feel no need to.

It is a great solution, GX Loader is very professional looking, its surprising Nintendo don't provide this functionailty - albeit with some sort of copyright protection...!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    http://www.filedropper.com/wiisoftmod42

There it is, the readme.txt file has the walkthrough
    Original source was mike&heth, website disapeared, so have rewritten it so hopefully makes sense to people!

Works perfect on 4.2!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast