+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Windows 7 and Steam Login in Fun Stuff; Hi, I just got a new ASUS Laptop that's running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium. I installed steam with ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 and Steam Login

Hi,
    I just got a new ASUS Laptop that's running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium. I installed steam with no issues, but whenever i try to login Steam stops responding. At first it would not go past the login screen, but after switching to Windows Vista Compatibility mode, it now goes to the "connecting to account: accountname" screen and then stops responding. It now goes this far no matter what mode it is in. I downloaded the latest video card drivers and 1 set of windows updates and am waiting on a second set (only a 128kbps connection avaliable here). I also tried re-installing steam. Any ideas on what i should do?

Laptop Specs:
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53GHz

System Memory (RAM): 6GB
    Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
    Video Memory: 1GB GDDR3 VRAM

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thank Post
    Have you tried right click -> Run as administrator ? I have to do this with my steam on Windows 7 x64, at least I do since i moved it to a second HDD.

Thank Post
    yea, tried to run as an admin, both on the desktop shortcut and the exe in program files.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Uninstall and Reinstall, I had the EXACT issue you are having, uninstalling and reinstalling worked a treat for me, my only problem is now I have lost 8 prestige ranks on MW2 (Which I am putting a support ticket in for!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right, first dont run compatiblity mode with it, it runs fine under windows 7 and that mode can mess it up.
    I have noticed when you have a poor net connection steam can freeze like that but can you try leaving it for 5 mins approx. It seems that when data speed is slow you get a not responding apperance but I have found steam can come back to life after a 5 minutes once its finally transfered all the data.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, when i re-install it again should i get rid of steam in the registry as well?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetunnelrat View Post
    Thanks guys, when i re-install it again should i get rid of steam in the registry as well?
    Be aware, when you uninstall steam you have to reinstall/download all your games again so use the backup tool in steam to save you time. I wouldnt probably bother myself clearing the registry but its up to you.

Thank Post
    thats fine, its a fresh steam install so nothing is downloaded anyway, i just got the computer yesterday.

Thank Post
    i don't know if its the cause of my steam issues as every other internet program works, but Windows 7 says that i am not connected to the internet, obviously this is not the case as i am typing this. The Network and Sharing Center says i am conected to a network, but not the internet. This my be because of the way the internet is set up on the the base i'm on in Iraq. We plug CAT5 into our computers and tenhave to pay for what i believe is in the end satelite internet. There may be another place i can go and pay a diferent service but i don't wanna waste the money if that is not the reason steam isnt working.

Thank Post
    Ok, so the apparent solution is to try it over and over and over again, until it works. I also put a "-tcp" at the the end of a steam.exe shortcut so that may have helped. no longer sure if this was a windows 7 problem or an ISP issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thetunnelrat View Post
    the base i'm on in Iraq. We plug CAT5 into our computers and tenhave to pay for what i believe is in the end satelite internet..
    ahh - missing vital info for diagnosis! Its probably a ports issue - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711 Steam support page listing the required ports, if your using a satelite service you may only have port 80 (Http) available.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread