+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, XBox Live Wireless problems in Fun Stuff; Santa brought an XBox 360 for my son for Christmas and also a Microsoft XBox360 Wirless dongle. It doesn't work ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts

XBox Live Wireless problems

Santa brought an XBox 360 for my son for Christmas and also a Microsoft XBox360 Wirless dongle.

It doesn't work It fails to pick up any Wireless networks at all, even with our Netgear DGN2000 router sat on top of it. We moved both tv and XBox into the study to test it, unfortunately a wired connection is not an option in the XBox's proper location.

Our Wii connects with no problem sat on top of the XBox, as do assorted iPods and laptops, so I have to assume the dongle is faulty.

Should I replace it with a similar dongle, or is there a better, more reliable one that you'd recommend for the purpose please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What kind of wireless network are you connecting it to ad what level of encryption is it set with. I don't have personal experience with them but I know that the original ones could not cope with anything above WEP encryption and would only run on a b/g network. It may be an idea to check out the WLAN setup and make sure that it is in mixed mode if you have an N access point and that the encryption level is compatible with the dongle.

Hope that helps and that I am not on the totally wrong track.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    The fact you have so many other devices already connected and working, I would eliminate the router being the problem. I suspect Synack is right and that it could be to do with the level of encryption or indeed the channel being broadcasted on. Avoid channel 13 and stick to channels 1, 6 or 11.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    am guessing here but if you have it connected directly via ethernet and check for any system / firmware type updates and update the xbox to the latest revision and then try again

Thank Post
    My router is using channel 1. It's using WPA2, but that option is greyed out on the X-Box.

The problem is that the XBOx can't find ANY networks to connect to... despite there being 4 visible to evry other appliance. I'm not getting as far as problems with encryption and keys. this is why I suspect the dongle is faulty.

I will try the firmware update using ethernet though, good idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    My router is using channel 1. It's using WPA2, but that option is greyed out on the X-Box.

The problem is that the XBOx can't find ANY networks to connect to... despite there being 4 visible to evry other appliance. I'm not getting as far as problems with encryption and keys. this is why I suspect the dongle is faulty.

I will try the firmware update using ethernet though, good idea.
    If it's the black adaptor then it's only just been released so the xbox may just need updating as you said. You can always see if the device works by plugging it into a pc, I assume it's just a usb wifi card. No drivers but it should at least show up as an unknown device.

Thank Post
    Had this same problem with my xbox card last year...go with your first instinct, the problem lies with the wireless card (most likely a faulty antenna) not your network - I took mine back straight away and after alot of huffing and puffing from the manager he gave me a replacement which worked beautifully.
    Last edited by Nickw1985; 26th December 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quick Question, When the wireless adapter is plugged into the console what is the status of the LED? Is it Red or Turned Off?

The fact that the dongle is not picking up any other wireless networks indicates to me that the device is not fuctional.

James.

Thank Post
    The light is red constantly, but the XBox knows it's there... it launches into 'I've got wireless, but there isn't a network set up' automatically.

I am certain the thing isn't working. Do I have to replace it with the same thing, or is there a more reliable/better non-M$ alternative?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, ok if the adapter is lighting up and it is red then just means no connection which your aware off... it does sound like a software update is needed.. did you say you have done this via ethernet? if not i would recommend you get that done upgrade to the latest version of the dashboard..

when that is done if it still dont work then maybe try another USB port on the consle... if that done work take it back get a new one and see what that does..

As for another version of a wireless adapter, no other adapters are supported other than the Official Xbox360 One.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adaptor/dp/B000AYTQ7O]Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adaptor (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games[/ame] < Old Adapter

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adaptor/dp/B002NPCDH8/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_h__title_1]Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Network Adaptor (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games[/ame] < New Adapter

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Hmm, ok if the adapter is lighting up and it is red then just means no connection which your aware off... it does sound like a software update is needed.. did you say you have done this via ethernet? if not i would recommend you get that done upgrade to the latest version of the dashboard..

when that is done if it still dont work then maybe try another USB port on the consle... if that done work take it back get a new one and see what that does..

As for another version of a wireless adapter, no other adapters are supported other than the Official Xbox360 One.

Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adaptor (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games < Old Adapter

Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Network Adaptor (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games < New Adapter

James.
    I shall continue the battle, in the morning... off to consume a drop of alcohol now Half my problem is that my teenage son doesn't seem to understand that, in order for me to have a go at sorting the problem, he actually needs to stop using the console. Clearly he has potential to be a teacher!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post

The official one may be the only supported adaptor but there are other ways of doing it. I bought a dlink wireless bridge that works just fine. Plugs in the ethernet port and cost me under £20.

@elsiegee40 - the other thing to look at is poweline adaptors which will allow you to have a wired connection (assuming your router has a spare ethernet port) without running cables everywhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    The official one may be the only supported adaptor but there are other ways of doing it. I bought a dlink wireless bridge that works just fine. Plugs in the ethernet port and cost me under £20.

@elsiegee40 - the other thing to look at is poweline adaptors which will allow you to have a wired connection (assuming your router has a spare ethernet port) without running cables everywhere.
    maybe there is but i like offical stuff

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Using wireless on the Xbox, especially for online multiplayer, is bad. Go for the homeplug solution (which is what I have done) - it's ace.

Thank Post

It's connected!

* Hangs head in shame *

OK, I should have treated this XBox like any other other piece of kit that I install... plug it in with a wire and get all the updates on before I tried anything at all.

Connected using a wire, I tested the connection and it prompted me to download a massive update.

Wire removed, XBox rebooted, wireless dongle plugged back in and... suddenly it was detecting networks. Connected to ours fine.

My teenage son is grinning from ear to ear and gave me a massive hug and said said he loves everyone on edugeek!

@tech_guy, I take on board what you've said about wirelss gaming. Son was warned before receipt of the XBox that (especially with our pretty broadband connection) it was likely to be rubbish.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast