+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Gaming/Entertaimnet Center in Fun Stuff; Hello, I am currently using my Xbox 360 as my primary gaming console. I just bought 55 inch HDTV and ...
    Thank Post

Gaming/Entertaimnet Center

Hello,

I am currently using my Xbox 360 as my primary gaming console. I just bought 55 inch HDTV and am in the need of a blue ray player. I have always wanted to step away from gaming consoles and move onto PC as my main source. I was thinking that it should be able to play the latest games and be able to play blue ray movies. At the same time I know that there are pcs available with an HDMI port (Would this be best to provide 1080p quality from blue ray?). My question is whether or not it is reasonable to set up a pc as my entertainment center? If so, is it better to built one or buy one fully built? Also, if it is to buy a built one what would you guys recommend that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrite View Post
    AVF is awesome.... nearly as good as edugeek.

Thank Post
    pc or htpc is fine you just obviously need to make sure everything is hdcp compliant and if not then you can use any dvd hd by slysoft

SlySoft AnyDVD HD

Thank Post
    I have had a HTPC since 2006 (not using bluray at the moment however) and use it for recording tv, music, dvd, video, bit of web surfing etc... And of course all this I can stream to my other computers / consoles around the house. If you are willing to put the time in to building your own it can be very rewarding ( especially when you manage to build something that is nearly completely silent!!) but it can also be frustrating at times.

If you want it to look nice it and be silent it will end up costing a fair amount, I have spent approx 800 on it so far but I wanted it to look nice and be quiet. If you use Windows 7 Media Centre you could save some money by using a standard (old) case and loud components and hiding it in the loft or under the stairs etc... and use you xbox 360 as an extender to set recordings and playback media on your whacking great big tv.

If you want to go out and buy one off the shelf then depending on spec it might cost around 600 - 800 or so. The thing with bluray is to make sure every component you are using is hdcp compliant otherwise it might playback but it will only be dvd quality.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your response. The information I have received from you guys has open a whole new door to possibilities i didn't know where there. I have much research to do as I had no clue before what an HTPC was. I will make my decision after much research and talking with my better half. I would like to take on the challenge of building it myself but am a little hesitant. But the knowledge gained over all might make it worth it.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leon032 View Post
    Thank you all for your response. The information I have received from you guys has open a whole new door to possibilities i didn't know where there. I have much research to do as I had no clue before what an HTPC was. I will make my decision after much research and talking with my better half. I would like to take on the challenge of building it myself but am a little hesitant. But the knowledge gained over all might make it worth it.

Thanks again
    no problem - post back when you have built it or feedback to let us know what you did.

Personally I'm totally lazy lol - just got a PS 3 hehe and then have my *cough* apple mac connected to my HD TV via a DVI-D to HDMI cable for movies and music etc as got a set of M Audio speakers hooked up to both the telly and the computer ( M Audio AV 40 )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am a huge HTPC fan and my current rig is about 1200 worth od blu-ray HD audio 2TB goodness. I shall post more on it tomorrow. The kids are splashing in the bath...gotta go!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread