+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Dragon Age:Origins - Will it run OK on my pc (or should i get the console version) in Fun Stuff; Planning on buying the above game this weekend. Looks awesome and has been getting great reviews. Only thing is I'm ...
    Thank Post

Dragon Age:Origins - Will it run OK on my pc (or should i get the console version)

Planning on buying the above game this weekend. Looks awesome and has been getting great reviews. Only thing is I'm not sure is whether to get it for my PC or PS3 (supposedly the better of the two console versions). Being an RPG it looks like it'd be a lot more at home running on a PC with mouse control plus it'd be nice to have access to downloadable content you don't have to pay for. It comes with a development toolkit so there should be plenty of extra content on the PC version.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how well it will run on my computer. I've currently got a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT in my PC and wondered if anyone knew if this would be good enough to run the game at 1680x1050 (native res of my 20" LCD) at Med/High detail? So basically will it look as good as the console version on my rig?

Any input appreciated?

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just downloaded it for the PC so I will see how my rig handles it.
    Where did you read the ps3 version was better because the videos I have seen comparing show better effects on the xbox in water etc in general.

Thank Post
    Bought it yesterday and it's running fine at 1680x1050 with everything set to high so looks pretty sweet. Played it for a couple of hours and it's really good fun so far. Reminds me of playing Baldur's Gate which takes me back a bit !

@ Zero : Review on gamespot.com (and another site I cant remember) said the PS3 version was better than the xbox360 graphics wise?

Dragon Age: Origins Review for PC - Page 2 - GameSpot

the Xbox 360 version looks positively disappointing. Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however. The PC version is the superior experience, but if you're choosing between the two console releases, the PlayStation 3 has the upper hand.
    Scores on metacritic seem to agree with this aswell (86 on xbox vs 89 on ps3) ?

Everywhere seems to agree that the PC version is way better than either console version though.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty tempted to get this on Steam. What are your system specs, flyinghaggis?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My PC is a beast and its a tiny bit jerky on mine (mind you thats at maxed out settings).

i7 core, dual gtx 290, 4x 250GB SSD Drives.
    Last edited by nephilim; 9th November 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Runs well enough on my AMD X2 4800 with 7900GTX, 4GB RAM, no on max of course, but not minimum settings either.

Thank Post
    Runs sweet on my 8800gts as well running on a 22" TFT. Awesome game. Poured 8 hours into it so far. The story is so engrossing. Just like reading a book, but I'm a fantasy fan anyway.

It's great to play the next gen NeverWinter Nights and Baldurs Gate etc. Can't wait to see the StarWars MMO they bring out.

Thank Post
    Old Republic looks awesome, keep getting excited with each community update!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    I'm pretty tempted to get this on Steam. What are your system specs, flyinghaggis?
    Core2duo 6600 (2.4ghz), Nvidia Gefore 8800 GT 512Mb - Runs fine with everything set to high at 1680x1050

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    Runs sweet on my 8800gts as well running on a 22" TFT. Awesome game. Poured 8 hours into it so far. The story is so engrossing. Just like reading a book, but I'm a fantasy fan anyway.

It's great to play the next gen NeverWinter Nights and Baldurs Gate etc. Can't wait to see the StarWars MMO they bring out.
    Might order that for my computer when I get paid again as cheaper on play.com for the PC version then the console version and I have an 8800GT and just boot camp it.

Thank Post
    Get the PC version as all the modding tools have just come out and there will be loads of community mods. PS3 and XBox360 won't have any access to those.

Thank Post
    Be careful with the DLC. I've just lost the last 7 hours of play after it decided they were unauthorised on one load, despite working fine before and after that.

Now I have broken characters and missing items. Only current way to fix is to go back to a save before it happened. Make sure to check the two DLC locations are there on the map.

Thank Post
    Been playing this for about 10 hours or so now. Graphics wise it's starting to chug a bit since my party grew to 4 characters and there seems to be more enemies on screen at once now! May have to start turning off some of the grahpics features to get the frame rate back up

....or buy some PC hardware upgrades !

Thank Post
    Untick frame buffer effects if it's turned on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    does it have any requirements ie DX 10 or 11 ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast