+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Disaster for Call of Duty fans on PC in Fun Stuff; Modern Warfare 2, due out in November will NOT be supporting dedicated servers. Thus you will have to join one ...
    Thank Post

Disaster for Call of Duty fans on PC

Modern Warfare 2, due out in November will NOT be supporting dedicated servers. Thus you will have to join one of their servers to play. Clan's can no longer set up their own servers with their own mods, and competative gaming will only be supported by players joining a Private Match.

Server lists are a thing of the past with an in game matching system deciding who and where you play.

Hmmm

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ohh dear, I bet there will be ads in game as well....

Thank Post
    Totaly off the point of the title of this, but what are the specs for this game on the PC? I can't find them anywhere. Also, i have been told but dont know if this is true but is MW2 cross platform, but this i mean someone on the PC can play someone on the PS3 via multiplayer, but i don't think this is true.

Thank Post
    There are rumours of paying for DLC on pc versions. Why much about with a tried and tested formula. If anything, separate the SP and MP parts of the game and sell em separate!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Bah i cant read any of the articles damn filtering, too interesting for the interwebs here

I'm guessing you can set up private games via direct connect like in COD4? I guess they are making a decent ranking system etc might be a good plan.

Thank Post
    nfinity Ward has outraged fans this weekend by unveiling a new matchmaking service for Modern Warfare 2 which will replace dedicated servers and fundamentally change the way that PC players interact with the game.

Unveiled by Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling at BashandSlash, the new system will only be used for the PC version and is called IWNet. It'll run alongside Steam and also tie in to Valve's VAC anti-cheat system, abandoning the old Punkbuster system. That's the good news.

The bad news is that dedicated servers are now a thing of the past and there's no option to browse servers. You can still set up private matches with specific players, but otherwise you rely on the matchmaking system to choose a server for you. No dedicated servers, no LAN matches.

"You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers," clarified Bowling.

Addressing concerns about how this may affect custom content for the game, Bowling said he had no real information on that front as IWNet is a "code heavy project" which he isn't hugely involved in right now, so he couldn't promise anything. Many sites are now reporting that mod support may have been removed from the PC game.

"I don't have those answers yet," said Bowling, when pressed on the topic.

Downloadable content for the game is definitely still supported, with Infinity Ward confirming that it'll be a paid-for product on the PC.

"This is the first time we've ever done something like this, obviously," Bowling said, "and I know the team has huge plans for what IWNet develops into, and this is just the beginning. It's hard for me to speak personally towward IWNet, because that is a code heavy project."

Bowling said that the up-side of IWNet though is that it allows Infinity Ward a lot more control over the community and the way players get updates. Won't help them roll out a demo though.

Fans are generally reacting badly to the news it seems, with many bit-tech readers announcing they have cancelled their pre-orders in protest. As RPS points out though, we don't have a full picture just yet and Infinity Ward is likely to release more info soon.

The news has already broken in the bit-tech forums, so jump in their and let us know your thoughts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I remember when Blizzard did this 10 years ago with Battlenet. Someone just came up with an emulation server that looked like Battlenet and you just connected to that if you wanted to play on modified servers. I expect a sourceforge project will appear in under a week.

Thank Post
    Sounds more like an anti piracy measure to me.....

Thank Post
    So all those clans who rent out dedicated server space and play custom mod games can't do it anymore?

If that's the case IW have just killed their franchise on PC, the whole point I was considering moving back to PC was to get more control over matches, more players etc compared to Xbox Live where you're limited on everything and it's P2P rather than server based.

So IW now decide to force the same idea on PC players, who by their choice of platform demand customisation and control over their gaming?!

Just bought a Razer mouse for 30 odd quid for this game dammit, back to Xbox for me then

Thank Post
    Our clan spends around 4500 a year on ded server costs. Yes IW have just killed the COD series for the PC.

To say a lot of people are truly (insert rude word here) is an understatement.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Totaly off the point of the title of this, but what are the specs for this game on the PC? I can't find them anywhere. Also, i have been told but dont know if this is true but is MW2 cross platform, but this i mean someone on the PC can play someone on the PS3 via multiplayer, but i don't think this is true.
    Spec should be similar to first one as not much as changed eye candy wise, and lets face it, closed in FPS with scripted events, doesnt take much to run it full pelt really.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lew_bob View Post
    Our clan spends around 4500 a year on ded server costs. Yes IW have just killed the COD series for the PC.

To say a lot of people are truly (insert rude word here) is an understatement.
    I bet the server companies are none too chuffed either. There is a petition to sign, please forward on to as many people as you can

Thank Post
    My clan spend about 140 per month on a dedicated box along with many other clans doing the same.

This stroke will kill off PC gaming and turn everything towards MMO's.

Thank Post
    Why are server costs so high? I used to be in a clan back in the day for COD (yes the original) and I remember it being quite cheap, we even had a ventrillo server too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast