+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; Anyone please helppppp reply pleaseee there is no steam.exe in my Layers filee! PLEASE HAALP...

Thank Post
    Anyone please helppppp reply pleaseee there is no steam.exe in my Layers filee! PLEASE HAALP

Thank Post
    Thank you so much for this thread it really helped me. I just started using steam today so i was really disapointed that it wasn't working. I'm also not the most educated when it comes to technology but this answer was really simple and i fixed my problem within minutes. I'll definately check back here with more of my questions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolexis View Post
    Hi ZeroHour,

I created an account on here just to say a big THANK YOU for taking the effort to post that, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that issue since yesterday and even did a full reformat to try and get rid of it.

THANKS!
    ^ What he said.
    ty
    :P

Thank Post

IMPORTANT!

Anyone that did ZeroHour's fix that is still having problems must also delete the steam instance in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\AppCompatFlags\ Compatibility Assistant\Persisted This problem should only "Have" to be addressed if you hit cancel when Steam said it was running in compatibility mode, however I had to do both this and ZeroHour's fix. btw thanks for that.

Thank Post
    I also registered to say thank you. The site also looks to be very informative, so I think I'll be sticking around. Thanks again!

Thank Post
    i to just joined to say thanks muchly the fix worked for me.

turned my comp off last night didn't notice any message but when i rebooted this morning steam threw up that message, so of course i went did what it said to no avail.
    then i turned to google and your fix.
    only thing i can think of that might have triggered it is that i installed the free mechwarrior 4:mercenaries game from mektek last night and added it to my steam library, and i recall reading on site that you may have to run game in xp compatibility mode (which it isn't), and maybe win7 just decided to do it but for steam exe and not game exe as i launched via steam.

Thank Post
    Just wanted to say (like a million others apparantly) thank you for this post! :-D

Thank Post
    Hey! First off thanks for posting this!

Second, I looked in the two locations you mentioned and I can't find the blasted registry file there. I did a troubleshooting and compatibility check. Anyway, I had to set it to a compatibility mode and hit cancel. I just looked at the "steam.exe" properties and the compatibility box is still unchecked. It is working now, but not sure if that actually fixed my problem or just buried it.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Made an account just to say thanks for this. The fact that none of the settings were switched on in the exe's properties was really throwing me for a loop.

Thank Post
    This solution did not work for me. Deleting this entry is the 2nd solution I have tried, the first one was locating the compatibility tab, and for me the check mark box option to "Run this program in Compatibility Mode for:" is greyed out being non-changeable.

(scratch that, it took my computer about 10min to "compute" the change i made and steam worked again. Belay this post. sorry)
    Last edited by ionzero; 10th August 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all of you that joined to say "Thanks"
    Remember if you have any other computer related problems dont hesitate to put a message up and I am sure someone will be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this fix. Worked like a charm and got me to sign up here. Will be using this site as much as I can!

Thank Post
    I also created an account just to thank you Zero Hour. I went through all the compatibility settings myself and nothing worked until I read your thread. You saved me a lot of possible turmoil as I probably would have reformatted to try and fix it like some other users since Steam is my most used application. Thanks again!

Thank Post

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Revolexis View Post
    Hi ZeroHour,

I created an account on here just to say a big THANK YOU for taking the effort to post that, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that issue since yesterday and even did a full reformat to try and get rid of it.

THANKS!
    I too created an account, few years later from the last post and I just got this problem but you solved it for me. Thanks a lot man, you have no idea how detailed and simple you articulated it. We appreciate it so much!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad its working for most of you, please dont forget to hit the google-plus-one.jpg button at the bottom of the page to let more know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast