+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; OK I managed to install it. But it still won't work. I click on the E: CD and choose play ...

Thank Post
    OK I managed to install it. But it still won't work. I click on the E: CD and choose play and it signs me into steam and then says your game will be ready in 5 hours????? What is going on?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, helped me A LOT. I have another problem though: after the latest major update for steam, the one applied like 7ish days before Christmas, all my games have been crashing. I get anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour of playtime before my game crashes.

Thank Post
    Hi, I've tried both ways of going into the HKEY, etc, but I couldn't find steam.exe and i've tried tinkering around to turn off the compatiblity mode, yet no luck. Please message me if anyone knows a solution to this.

Cheers, Kieren

Thank Post
    Hi Kieren. After HOURS of pain and misery I managed to get Steam working a week ago and black Ops installed.

Can you tell me whether you've managed to install Steam or not? Then we can go from there.

Thank Post
    Well i just installed BF2 from a CD and it took me a couple days to get the game and it's expansions working. I installed it and reinstalled it to get it to work and went to regedit to delete somethings while I was following someone's guide. Perhaps in the process i changed a setting i'm not aware about. Then I tried to open steam, which i've had installed before i put BF2 on my laptop. It would say it's not recommended to run in compatibility mode and to turn it off. I've tried the original poster's guide, yet i couldn't find steam.exe, perhaps i could've missed it. I then uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and once again it gave me the compatibility issue message. I currently have Steam uninstalled.

Thank Post
    Try running Steam in Windows XP mode. For some reason that worked for me. Steam is really fickle, it wouldn't work for a long time then suddenly it started working.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 6th January 2011 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello!
    I have nearly the same problem. I tryed to run steam and then came the error with the compatibility mode. So i checked if its turned on and it was not so i pressed cancel. Steam seems to work now but i can't see any Servers in any Game i have. After that i found this forum and deletet the steam.exe entry in the 2nd Step ( because in 1rst Step wasn't any steam.exe entry). It didn't change anything. I even tryed that with deleting the entire Valve folder in the registry but there was no folder. And now i become more and more desperate. Please... I NEED YOUR HELP!!

ps: sry for bad english

edit: the problem with not finding servers belongs to Call of Duty Black Ops....... i just rebooted my router and it worked again.

And THX for the help with the compatibility mode problem!
    Last edited by hotdog; 7th January 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Just try and keep running Steam. It takes a while to work sometimes.

Thank Post
    Hello ZeroHour,

Can i start off by saying that ive never ever joined a forum on any website. The reason for joining this one is simply to say thankyou. You didnt have to post your finding. You did. And for that you are a champion. Im not a geek. I barely know what i am doing when it comes to computers. But i love my PC games. I have always respected people that know their way around computers with expert precision (such as yourself) and you have just raised that respect to a higher level. For whatever silly reason our mind feels the need to stress us PC gamers out when an error occurs installing a game there are people like you in this world to make it a better place to live in. And once again we can enjoy the simple things in life. Gaming. Max respect for you my friend. Max respect.

Regards

Andrew

Thank Post
    Who are you thanking themanfromaus?

Thank Post

Thankyou

I am thanking ZeroHour for his help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hi
    Just thought I would post a solution to a problem I had with Steam on Windows 7 RC x64 (but I believe it can happen in vista as well)
    Everything was working in steam for weeks until I went to close it down last night, when I exited steam windows poped up with a message stating it was going to apply compatility settings to steam as it detected a problem (no cancel or way to stop it doing this)
    When I relaunched steam it poped up with a message telling me:
    Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for Steam.exe and restart Steam. Press 'Cancel' to premanently ignore this warning and continue.

Reinstalling steam made no difference as well as trying to set compatibility settings under the shortcut. I eventually had a go of the application compatibility tool microsoft gives out to see that the settings saved on the machines local database and that triggering when I ran steam. I had a hunt through the registry and found the area where the keys are kept and deleted the key and my problems were gone.

To fix the issue:
    1. Hit start->run->regedit
    2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    4. Delete that entry
    5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Hope this helps if you get the issue.

Please feel free to register and say hello here and if you have any other problems in general please try a new post, you never know.

Thank Post
    How DARE you not thanks me as well.

Just kidding

Did you get it working then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themanfromaus View Post
    Hello ZeroHour,

Can i start off by saying that ive never ever joined a forum on any website. The reason for joining this one is simply to say thankyou. You didnt have to post your finding. You did. And for that you are a champion. Im not a geek. I barely know what i am doing when it comes to computers. But i love my PC games. I have always respected people that know their way around computers with expert precision (such as yourself) and you have just raised that respect to a higher level. For whatever silly reason our mind feels the need to stress us PC gamers out when an error occurs installing a game there are people like you in this world to make it a better place to live in. And once again we can enjoy the simple things in life. Gaming. Max respect for you my friend. Max respect.

Regards

Andrew
    Thanks for taking the time to thank me

Thank Post
    I wish to thank you too Zero Hour. Nice one mate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Londude View Post
    I wish to thank you too Zero Hour. Nice one mate.
    Cheers, glad it sorted you. After I had the issue and trawled to find the solution I figured it was best to share.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast