+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by ZeroHour Hi Can you check your event log for errors in it? Start->Control Panel->(icon view rather then ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hi
    Can you check your event log for errors in it?
    Start->Control Panel->(icon view rather then category)->administrative tools->event viewer
    You have a realtek ac97, its a chip with LOTS of issues. Did you use the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer (or dell for example) first as they can customise the chip a little (to save cash) and it still named the same thing. I would try disabling your sound card using device manager (also in control panel) and launching the game to see if that does anything.

Cheers
    Update:

I reinstalled the latest nvidia driver as well as turned off the sound card and still no luck. From what i read the issue with that error message has to do with the latest driver for nvidia. Unfortunately I could not find a fix. Hope you can figure something out.

Thanks again,
    Kyle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle1337 View Post
    Update:

I reinstalled the latest nvidia driver as well as turned off the sound card and still no luck. From what i read the issue with that error message has to do with the latest driver for nvidia. Unfortunately I could not find a fix. Hope you can figure something out.

Thanks again,
    Kyle
    You have a very common problem it appears. I am having a hunt for a fix for that error but you could try running L4D2 with all the ingame graphics settings set to the min and see if it loads.
    People seem to be linking it to DX10 games but I am sure l4d2 is not dx10. Also I would try disabling Aero (aka transparent start menu etc) and see if there is a issue with it running in the background with the game. I have 64bit w7 so I have not got those entries with my card.
    I am having a look for more suggestions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You have a very common problem it appears. I am having a hunt for a fix for that error but you could try running L4D2 with all the ingame graphics settings set to the min and see if it loads.
    People seem to be linking it to DX10 games but I am sure l4d2 is not dx10. Also I would try disabling Aero (aka transparent start menu etc) and see if there is a issue with it running in the background with the game. I have 64bit w7 so I have not got those entries with my card.
    I am having a look for more suggestions.
    Thanks for all the effort zero hour,

One suggestion i came across was to revert back to an older display driver. The consensus seems to be that the problem occurs because of a lack of quality with nvidia's new drivers. What is your opinion on going back to an old driver? good idea? bad idea? and why?

Thanks again for all your help, I am just about to try your fixes and will let you know if they work.

Regards,
    Kyle

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle1337 View Post
    Thanks for all the effort zero hour,

One suggestion i came across was to revert back to an older display driver. The consensus seems to be that the problem occurs because of a lack of quality with nvidia's new drivers. What is your opinion on going back to an old driver? good idea? bad idea? and why?

Thanks again for all your help, I am just about to try your fixes and will let you know if they work.

Regards,
    Kyle
    Its okay to roll back (or try a beta?) but one thing to remember is every new driver release usually includes newly released games fixes/optimization so if you go too far back and have bought a game that has a later fix you may have issues with the later game but both beta and rollback are worth a go to find the cause.

Thank Post
    Okay same problem with windows 7 re downloading a patch when the message comes up i've followed the To fix the issue:

1. Hit start->run->regedit
    2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    4. Delete that entry
    5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

which is listed above
    steam is now working but...
    Steam is black and is now not responding any help?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -_Conartist View Post
    Okay same problem with windows 7 re downloading a patch when the message comes up i've followed the To fix the issue:

1. Hit start->run->regedit
    2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    4. Delete that entry
    5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

which is listed above
    steam is now working but...
    Steam is black and is now not responding any help?
    What graphics card do you have?
    Does leaving it for 5 minutes fix the issue?

Kyle:
    New drivers were just released. Please check out the latest drivers on nvidia.com.
    DirectX 9 version of several applications (for example, Assassinʹs Creed, Avatar, Pro
    Evolution Soccer 2010, Far Cry 2) crash after the Intro video when using the default
    settings. [621742]
    I wonder...

Thank Post

tried to find path to steam

hi there txs for the post on this compatability tried the first one you suggested & the only 2 files that were shown were :-ab(Default) REG_SZ (value not set) the 2nd file in there was abF:\VSWizard.exe REG_SZ RUNASAADMIN.So i tried the second & the 2 files in there were as follows :- ab(Default) REG_SZ (value not set) abC:\Program File... REG_SZ VISTARTM so am still non the wiser as how to sort this out ma tearing what little hair i have left out please could you help many txs

Thank Post
    awesome, that fixed my first problem lol

Thank Post

HELP!!!!!!

Hey ZeroHour I really hope you can help.....

Obviousley, by the name, I created this account to ask you how to fix a problem I keep having.... You seem like a bit of a whiz so I thought I may aswell ask...... Basically, when I try and start up steam it says Its logging into my account..... I wait, and I wait..... when finally 1-2 mins later it shows up with a message saying:

Could not connect to Steam network.
    This could be due to a problem with you Internet connection, or with the
    Steam network. Please visit Steampowered for more Info

My internet is fine, and it isnt the steam network because all my mates can log in fine, and on top of that steampowered is as useful as an a$$ on my elbow......

But seriously, Im getting increasingly more anxious as Febuary the 9th looms near (Bioshock 2 release date) and Im hoping that I will fix it by then.

P.S Im worried because Im 95% sure Bioshock has to initiate with steam.....

PLEASE HELP!

Thank Post
    Are you running behind a broadband router?

I had a D-Link Router which absolutely refused to play with Steam. I had to bin it and buy a Netgear in the end. This was a year or two ago though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Moose2212: What error are you getting? What OS are you running?

Helpmeplease: I get the same error sometimes but restarting steam usually fixes it. What OS are you on per chance? What ISP also?

Thank Post

thanks

Im not sure what an ISP and a D router is (gamer lol) but i have windows premium 64 bit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ISP = Internet Service Provider (aka who supply your internet connection)
    D-Link are a company (like netgear etc) that make network devices.
    Do you link to your internet connection using wifi/usb/network cable?

Thank Post
    Ah, well my ISP is bigpond (broadband) and I use a network cable

Thank Post

Having Trouble With Steam!!

Can anyone Help? I just downloaded it and i downloaded and installed Americas Army 3. Everytime i try to play the game it says Game currently unavalable try again atanother time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast