+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Killgore When I read your fix, I thought I had finally found the answer to my problem. ...

Thank Post

Same Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Killgore View Post
    When I read your fix, I thought I had finally found the answer to my problem. Unfortunately steam is still freezing my entire computer when I click on the steam.exe file.
    I have done a number of things to try and remedy the problem. I have searched countless forums and tried many things with no success. If anyone has any suggestions, I am desperate to get steam working again. I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am. I will try to briefly summarize what I've already done.

It seems the problem started when I closed steam quickly one day. I just shut down the computer without shutting steam down first. I guess this made problem?

Ive done the exact same steps as this guy, everytime i start my computer steam automatically opens and completly freezes my computer, just before it opens i have to rush and end the process just to prevent the freezing, his solution was a program interferring with steam, i dont have *creative* or any other programs on the list that interfere with steam installed any suggestions? or tips on what might be interferring

From then on, whenever I try to launch steam, it just freezes the whole computer.
    First, I deleted the clientreg.blob file from the steam folder. No affect. I did start getting error message of the clientblob serielized something header missing on steam.exe.
    Then, I deleted everything in steam folder except app folder and steam.exe. No affect.
    Then, I uninstalled steam completely and completely formatted the drive that steam and it's games were installed on. Reinstalled steam. The first message I get is that I need to turn off all compatibility settings for steam.exe. There were no compatibility settings checked in the properties box. I found ZeroHour's message about deleting registry values and tried that. No affect, it just freezes the whole computer when I click on steam.exe.

[COLOR="#FF0000"][B][SIZE=5]PLEASE HELP!!
    I don't know what else to try.

sincerely... a truly frustrated gamer.

Ive done the exact same steps as this guy, everytime i start my computer steam automatically opens and completly freezes my computer, just before it opens i have to rush and end the process just to prevent the freezing, his solution was a program interferring with steam, i dont have *creative* or any other programs on the list that interfere with steam installed any suggestions? or tips on what might be interferring

Thank Post
    Omg please help me admin/mods/gods whe i go to APPCOMBATFLAGS after i open that there is no layers folder??? i have win 7 6c bit PLEASE HELP ME!?

Thank Post
    I can't find the entry point for some reason. Please give me a specified file name because I can't find it seemly. I deleted some files in "Steam.exe" but they just came back after I deleted them so I think these are the wrong ones. *EDIT* I found the right files and promptly deleted them. Thank you for your help.

Thank Post
    Hey ZeroHour,

I'm having a little trouble with the details on numbers one and two on the first solution.
    and which program is, "application compatibility tool microsoft gives out" and where can i find it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0graham0 View Post
    Turns out the setting for the warning is in the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/IgnoreCompatMode (for the value 1 is ignore, 0 is show warning)

Removing the key in the first post solved the compatibility problem, thanks!

Hi. I accidently pressed cancel when i got that compatibility error message from steam. I have followed all the directions and deleted steam.exe from the folders in the registry; but here is where I have been stuck... I would like to have that warning message re-enabled again.
    I have followed the path above HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/IgnoreCompatMode but when I get to the steam folder, I do not see any entry for IgnoreCompatMode.
    It is not a folder, nor can I find it within any of the folders there.
    I would really like to have this warning re-enabled to confirm that steam is no longer running in compatibility mode; but IgnoreCompatMode is not on that path on my computer.
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks.

Thank Post
    thanx so much i made an account as well just to say thx which i dont dont normally do

Thank Post
    I followed this very carefully but I am stumped on the part where I deleted the entry. Do I delete Steam.exe or do I delete the folder that is title just Steam. I have tried both and still got the error.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpseRender View Post
    I followed this very carefully but I am stumped on the part where I deleted the entry. Do I delete Steam.exe or do I delete the folder that is title just Steam. I have tried both and still got the error.
    This question is directed towards ZeroHour.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    EDIT - This post is wrong >.<
    Last edited by CAM; 12th January 2012 at 01:17 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBunny View Post
    Hi. I accidently pressed cancel when i got that compatibility error message from steam. I have followed all the directions and deleted steam.exe from the folders in the registry; but here is where I have been stuck... I would like to have that warning message re-enabled again.
    I have followed the path above HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/IgnoreCompatMode but when I get to the steam folder, I do not see any entry for IgnoreCompatMode.
    It is not a folder, nor can I find it within any of the folders there.
    I would really like to have this warning re-enabled to confirm that steam is no longer running in compatibility mode; but IgnoreCompatMode is not on that path on my computer.
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks.
    IgnoreCompatMode is the name of the key. Set it's value to 0 or 1 not sure what will work.

If it doesn't exist then create a new value called IgnoreCompatMode with the value of 0 or 1.
    Last edited by CAM; 12th January 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpseRender View Post
    This question is directed towards ZeroHour.
    I also noticed that when I delete Steam.exe and I try reinstalling it using the repair option I get a message saying Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied."

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Corpse, are you deleting the registry key in REGEDIT or the Steam.exe file in Program Files?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Corpse, are you deleting the registry key in REGEDIT or the Steam.exe file in Program Files?
    I am deleting steam.exe in regedit and I also tried deleting it in program files. Also what is the registry key? I click on steam.exe in regedit and I see some other files are those the registry keys? If so which one do I delete?
    Last edited by CorpseRender; 13th January 2012 at 02:39 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll check my Registry when I get back home as Steam isn't installed on my work laptop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'll check my Registry when I get back home as Steam isn't installed on my work laptop.
    Oh thank you, please do it quick I want Steam up before Friday.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast