+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; Wow, thank you VERY much for posting a fix for this problem! Registered now (like other people too, I see) ...

Thank Post
    Wow, thank you VERY much for posting a fix for this problem! Registered now (like other people too, I see) just to thank you.

Thank Post
    Thanks alot! I didn't use regedit, but for some reason steam started running in compatibility mode for windows vista? I run Windows 7 64bit, so I have no idea what happend... But thanks again, this thread and this forum helped me alot!!

PS: I know this thread is old, but it seems like its still activity here ;-)

Thank Post
    Hey thanks for the help! I made an account just for this! I appreciate it.

Thank Post
    Hi Zero Hour, Like the rest I registered to say thanks as it worked the two times I needed it.It seems my video card will not support most games so when I removed them I had the issue with compatibility. The rest is history. ROCK ON ! from the USA.

Thank Post

I hate to necro, but...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: And yes, I registered just for this message, but will keep my eye on this forum!
    Last edited by tangbaba; 1st November 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Forgot a tidbit

Thank Post
    Never heard of this site before, only stumpled upon it while googleing the Steam Windows problem.
    I tried the method and it worked then like many others before me I created an account here just for one purpose.
    My username says it all. Thank you thank you thank you, ZeroHour.

Thank Post
    I'd like to say my thanks. I didn't know what was going on when I got the message.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=ZeroHour;366902]Hi
    Just thought I would post a solution to a problem I had with Steam on Windows 7 RC x64 (but I believe it can happen in vista as well)
    Everything was working in steam for weeks until I went to close it down last night, when I exited steam windows poped up with a message stating it was going to apply compatility settings to steam as it detected a problem (no cancel or way to stop it doing this)
    When I relaunched steam it poped up with a message telling me:
    Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for Steam.exe and restart Steam. Press 'Cancel' to premanently ignore this warning and continue.

Reinstalling steam made no difference as well as trying to set compatibility settings under the shortcut. I eventually had a go of the application compatibility tool microsoft gives out to see that the settings saved on the machines local database and that triggering when I ran steam. I had a hunt through the registry and found the area where the keys are kept and deleted the key and my problems were gone.

To fix the issue:
    1. Hit start->run->regedit
    2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    3. Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
    4. Delete that entry
    5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Hope this helps if you get the issue.

None of this actually helped with the problem though it seems it has for many. What i did was simply go to Control Panel for windows 7 then to Programs and Features and i simply Repaired Steam

Thank Post
    like others, I registered to thank you for this information and will certainly come back even if just to read and learn. Many thanks!!!

Thank Post
    When I read your fix, I thought I had finally found the answer to my problem. Unfortunately steam is still freezing my entire computer when I click on the steam.exe file.
    I have done a number of things to try and remedy the problem. I have searched countless forums and tried many things with no success. If anyone has any suggestions, I am desperate to get steam working again. I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am. I will try to briefly summarize what I've already done.

It seems the problem started when I closed steam quickly one day. I just shut down the computer without shutting steam down first. I guess this made problem?

From then on, whenever I try to launch steam, it just freezes the whole computer.
    First, I deleted the clientreg.blob file from the steam folder. No affect. I did start getting error message of the clientblob serielized something header missing on steam.exe.
    Then, I deleted everything in steam folder except app folder and steam.exe. No affect.
    Then, I uninstalled steam completely and completely formatted the drive that steam and it's games were installed on. Reinstalled steam. The first message I get is that I need to turn off all compatibility settings for steam.exe. There were no compatibility settings checked in the properties box. I found ZeroHour's message about deleting registry values and tried that. No affect, it just freezes the whole computer when I click on steam.exe.

[COLOR="#FF0000"][B][SIZE=5]PLEASE HELP!!
    I don't know what else to try.

sincerely... a truly frustrated gamer.

Thank Post
    Hi ZeroHour,

Just created an account so I could say thank you very much man.
    Helped me, and a lot of others, can´t express my gratitude for your effort enough, so I'll just say it again, Thank You Very Much!

THANKS A LOT FROM PORTUGAL M8

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Killgore View Post
    It seems the problem started when I closed steam quickly one day. I just shut down the computer without shutting steam down first. I guess this made problem?

From then on, whenever I try to launch steam, it just freezes the whole computer.
    First, I deleted the clientreg.blob file from the steam folder. No affect. I did start getting error message of the clientblob serielized something header missing on steam.exe.
    Then, I deleted everything in steam folder except app folder and steam.exe. No affect.
    Then, I uninstalled steam completely and completely formatted the drive that steam and it's games were installed on. Reinstalled steam. The first message I get is that I need to turn off all compatibility settings for steam.exe. There were no compatibility settings checked in the properties box. I found ZeroHour's message about deleting registry values and tried that. No affect, it just freezes the whole computer when I click on steam.exe.
    I found my fix! It was all about the Creative drivers on my Asus G73 laptop. I uninstalled the two programs by Creative and everything is beautiful. I knew before that some people had complained about the Creative suite messing with Steam. But I didn't think that could be my issue because Steam worked fine for a long time without me messing with the Creative suite... go figure why all of a sudden it started messin with me??? I wish I hadn't formatted the whole drive now trying to fix the problem!! LOL I had saved like 80 GB of games but I didn't have the space to save all 350GB of games I had downloaded... Oh well. At least it's working again.

If anyone has an Asus G73 laptop, the drivers for the Creative suite can interfere with Steam!!

Good luck to all!

Thank Post
    Please someone help me, I don't know what the heck im supposed to do. I don't understand what you mean with this Start and then Run since i dont even have run at the start button...

I just installed APB then i wanted to uninstall it but it all and then i quitted steam.

When I tried to start up the program again it just said "It is adviced you don't run in compatability mode with STEAM EXE and like that"

Thing is... Steam.exe dont run in compatability mode and i can't find the APB's program that makes so i can deactivate if its in compatability mode and if its linked to each other.

Please help me I just want to fix my steam... I should've never installed APB... ...

Sorry if my language is rude but I'm very of and this day haven't been overall great I just want help.

( If you find this comment somewhere else i posted it wrong i wanted to post it here. HELP PLEASE )
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 12th December 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Nerfed swearing - ZH

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Svaerks View Post
    Please someone help me, I don't know what the heck im supposed to do. I don't understand what you mean with this Start and then Run since i dont even have run at the start button...

I just installed APB then i wanted to uninstall it but it all and then i quitted steam.

When I tried to start up the program again it just said "It is adviced you don't run in compatability mode with STEAM EXE and like that"

Thing is... Steam.exe dont run in compatability mode and i can't find the APB's program that makes so i can deactivate if its in compatability mode and if its linked to each other.

Please help me I just want to fix my steam... I should've never installed APB... ...

Sorry if my language is rude but I'm very of and this day haven't been overall great I just want help.

( If you find this comment somewhere else i posted it wrong i wanted to post it here. HELP PLEASE )
    Please no swearing.

In Windows 7 there is no "Run" button by default like Windows XP. You have to literally type in the word "run" to the search box just above the windows button (when clicked).
    IF you hit the windows button and type in "run" then hit enter it should give you the run prompt like old windows did.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    In Windows 7 there is no "Run" button by default like Windows XP.
    The search box replaces "Run" in Windows 7. Click the Start button » type regedit » press Enter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast