+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode in Fun Stuff; Thank you! I am also now a member of Edugeek, which I had never seen before today, after reading your ...

Thank Post
    Thank you! I am also now a member of Edugeek, which I had never seen before today, after reading your kind advice Much time save for me also!

Thank Post
    I accidentally deleted the "Layers" folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Is there anyway to get that folder back? What are the side-effects of not having that folder?

I tried going through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder and went to the "Layers" folder as you have directed and have found in that folder the registry "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe". I was afraid to delete it since a pop-up came up saying that if I deleted certain registry values, it would cause system instability. I'm not that much of a tech geek but is that the last step in possibly solving this problem? Help will be appreciated!
    Last edited by DreamWalker; 25th August 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Being more precise

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWalker View Post
    I accidentally deleted the "Layers" folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Is there anyway to get that folder back? What are the side-effects of not having that folder?

I tried going through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder and went to the "Layers" folder as you have directed and have found in that folder the registry "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe". I was afraid to delete it since a pop-up came up saying that if I deleted certain registry values, it would cause system instability. I'm not that much of a tech geek but is that the last step in possibly solving this problem? Help will be appreciated!
    Deleting the layers folder would remove the compatibility settings for any others apps and steam. Windows I *think* would auto remake the folder after a reboot/when needed but if any other apps had settings saved they would potentially be lost although in most cases they probably are not needed. If you only delete the entry with "Steam.exe" in it only steam will be changed and it should fix the issue.

Thank Post
    hi ive got this same problem

i just followed your instructions checking both places for the steam.exe and i cant find it? im running win 7 64bit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Deleting the layers folder would remove the compatibility settings for any others apps and steam. Windows I *think* would auto remake the folder after a reboot/when needed but if any other apps had settings saved they would potentially be lost although in most cases they probably are not needed. If you only delete the entry with "Steam.exe" in it only steam will be changed and it should fix the issue.
    Thank you for your help. I'm busy at the moment and I haven't tried what you said but I appreciate your help! Thanks again.

Thank Post
    I registered to thank you for your post, ZeroHour.

The compatibility dialog windows displayed all checkboxes as clear, yet the compatibility warning still came up. Only removing the entry from the registry worked.

Thank Post
    Hi, I followed your guidance on how to fix the problem, but when i looked for the steam entry in regedit, both locations didn't contain it. I am running on Win Vista 32bit.
    Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Thank Post
    My OS is Windows 7 basic, (if that's an option. I don;'t know computer very well, I just play the video games). I tried following the steps, and I got to finding the folder that was called AppCompatFlags, but after that there was no folder named Layers. I went into the steam file by right clicking it and going to properties. I turned off compatibility mode, and it shows that it is still off; but for some reason the problem persists. If you have any suggestions on what to do, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Viking

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingmead View Post
    I tried following the steps, and I got to finding the folder that was called AppCompatFlags
    Did you check in both locations mentioned? One of them should have the layers in.

Steve

Thank Post
    ZeroHour,
    I just created an account here to throw you a big THANK YOU for taking the effort to post the solution to my Steam problem.
    Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Thank you so much! I am almost too lucky that this was only the 4th thread I looked at, a couple of the threads I passed through had people searching for days!

Thank Post
    Thanks man this was the first link that popped up when I googled the issue. Everything worked fine and only took me a matter of seconds to do.

Thank Post
    So I am having issues with steam freezing my computer as soon as I try to run it. I used to have no problem running steam before until all of a sudden it started acting up. Its on a windows 7 platform. I tried everything in this forum and even deleted and reinstalled many times yet it still freezes my whole system upon startup. If there are any suggestions I would love to hear them. I need to play my CSS again

Thank Post
    Fixed the problem, apparently ASUS G laptops have conflicting sound drivers so I had to delete all of the creative drivers. Not sure why they do that. :/

Thank Post
    I, just like a lot of people in this thread, created an account just to say thank you. I did find it funny that the original post was made back in 2009 but is still applicable. Thanks again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast