+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Command & Conquer 95 Gold LAN Problem in Fun Stuff; Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me. I have just downloaded the freeware command and conquer 95 gold game from ...
    Thank Post

Command & Conquer 95 Gold LAN Problem

Hi everyone.

Hope someone can help me. I have just downloaded the freeware command and conquer 95 gold game from the net. after getting all excited about beating a colleage in a head to head LAN match, i realised that there is no network option available. After a bit of research, i found a patch that would allow me the option of a network match. The problem now is that the two machines i have installed it on just wont 'see' eachother in the game. when i start a new LAN game the other machine doesnt pick it up. Has anyone else had any experience with this?? Is there a simple remedy?? or something im missing. i havent used the network to play games before, is there anything that i need to do on the computers?

Cheers
    James

Thank Post
    Haven't got it myself, but I assume it uses IPX for LAN matches like most of the old games of that era - doubtful that the protocol is installed on your more modern PC - hence, no matches to find

Edit -

The number one reason is due to the fact that the IPX protocol was re-written in Windows XP/2000, and is now incompatible with C&C. C&C uses a different layer of the IPX protocol to play multiplayer over a network. This layer is no longer used and was phased out of the IPX protocol. Your best bet would be to find a program that can emulate the Westwood online server locally, and play across that. I have no idea if such a thing exists though. There may also be other ways to play across IPX, but that would mean you don't apply the patch, and therefore can't run the game in Windows XP or 2000.
    http://www.gidforums.com/t-4535.html
    Last edited by OutToLunch; 5th December 2008 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    The original Red Alert worked on IPX. I have had it working over a LAN on XP just fine. Goto network connections and add a new protocol - IPX

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by featured_spectre; 5th December 2008 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Hi everyone.

Hope someone can help me. I have just downloaded the freeware command and conquer 95 gold game from the net. after getting all excited about beating a colleage in a head to head LAN match, i realised that there is no network option available. After a bit of research, i found a patch that would allow me the option of a network match. The problem now is that the two machines i have installed it on just wont 'see' eachother in the game. when i start a new LAN game the other machine doesnt pick it up. Has anyone else had any experience with this?? Is there a simple remedy?? or something im missing. i havent used the network to play games before, is there anything that i need to do on the computers?

Cheers
    James
    Care to share where thee got it from?

Thank Post
    We got it from the EA Website / C&C website. It's now a free download to help promote the new C&C. Can't get a linky as I'm blocked from it here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I think the patch that Admiral mentioned is this one that changes the LAN functionality to communicate using UDP instead of IPX. If not... try that!

If you are using that patch, have you made sure that Windows Firewall is disabled/configured to allow the UDP traffic through?

Side note: last month while having a clear-out I found my old Belkin null modem cable that I bought specifically to play C&C on before I networked our home computers together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    it works fine using UDP with the patch, and windows defender and firewalls are set to allow the traffic. Works a charm!

Thank Post
    thanks all,

i have downloaded that patch that you are talking about AngryTechnician. What changes would i need to make to allow UDP traffic through the firewall?

dont really want to disable the firewall completely. getting frustrated!

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I haven't used it myself, but I believe the easiest solution would be to define an exception for the .exe file for C&C using the "Add a Program" button on the Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall Settings.

nephilim may be able to give you more specific instructions!

Thank Post
    Anyone got it working in Vista?

Thank Post
    Sorted!!!

All i had to do was to create an exception in the firewall. i asked me if i wanted to unblock it on one machine, but i had to do it manually on the other.

Thanks all

James

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread