+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Gaming Thread, XBOX 360 Three rings of death in Fun Stuff; i read not so long ago that the thing that caused all of the hardware problems with the Xbox 360 ...

Thank Post
    i read not so long ago that the thing that caused all of the hardware problems with the Xbox 360 was that Microsoft decided to try and save money (either $20 Million or $200 Million, probably the latter) by designing their own PCB for the motherboard instead of going to a professional company who have plenty of experience. This led to all the problems, cost them over $1 Billion.... that'll teach them to cut corners.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You were never out of warranty? All console came with 3 years RROD warranty so you could have had it replaced I would have thought.
    Time wise it wasnt, the fact that id already had the thing apart ages before it went meant it was.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had my xbox elite since May - will it have a Jasper mobo?

Touch wood, haven't had the red rings but I'm itching to take it apart now and do some fiddling. Had great fun mucking about with the original xbox.

Thank Post
    The Jasper updates are only just rolling in now as far as I had heard so I doubt yours would be.

Thank Post
    I've had a long history of RROD problems.. the console I bought at launch survived two years before finally giving up. It came back from Microsoft with a new motherboard.. which failed after two hours. Next they sent me a new console with a manufacture date of August 2007.. that lasted about six months. They then sent me one with a manufacture date of May 2006.. that lasted about six months, dying a few weeks ago.

I'm now on my fourth console which arrived last week. Confusingly it has a manufacture date of October 2008, but it doesn't have an HDMI port so I'm not sure if it has a newer motherboard or not. Still, at least I got it replaced before the warranty runs out on launch models!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure MS have a sort of killswitch built in. Had RROD last December and sent it back. Was sent a new one with HDMI port (my old one supposedly couldn't be repaired). Boxing day this year (well, 2008) I switch this one on, RROD. Then it worked for a few hours but the network kept failing on it, wouldn't log into LIVE or see my PC. After rebooting the 360, RROD again which hasn't gone away.
    Thing is, every time it's happened has been about 2 weeks after I've used a voucher for a month or 3 months gold live subscription!

Seriously considering just getting rid as it's a PITA having to return a console continually

Thank Post
    I was given an RROD XBox just before Summer 2008. I got the X-Clamp kit off E-bay with the paste and torx bits and about an hour later had a nice working XBox. I was really chuffed. My XBox Arcade I got with my mobile phone is still going after a year. Now going on GH:WT.

Thank Post
    I had the graphics glitching => RROD - sealing the exhaust vents with tape, letting it overheat then cooldown fixed it for a little while but then it went again.

I splashed the £100 for a new core (now with HDMI), swapped the HDD over and meant to get the clamp kit for the bropken one but never got around to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I don't have all these problems with my Binatone TV Master MK 6:

Thank Post
    Mine just RROD'd yesterday I've had it for nearly bang on 3 years and it's run without any issues up until yesterday when it just wouldn't turn on. Just away to return it to M$. Hopefully I'll get back an updated Jasper Model with HDMI.

Worryingly that's nearly every single person I know with an xbox360 that's had it fail at least once since buying it!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd February 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Worryingly that's nearly every single person I know with an xbox360 that's had it fail at least once since buying it!
    I don't know anyone that hasn't had one fail. One friend had 5 die in a month, brand new, inc one DOA.

The MS admitted 33% failure rate looks more like 70%+ failure rate. Still at least you know the money from live went somewhere usefull.

You get what you pay for I suppose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123