+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Rock Band in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by j17sparky I dont really get all these games. Surerly it would be more productive to actually learn ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I dont really get all these games. Surerly it would be more productive to actually learn the instrument?
    On that note the drums one looks alot better than the guitar one as it actually has something to do with the instrument - the guitard is really just a big xbox controller which you mash the buttons on.
    But it costs a whole lot more time/effort/money to learn the proper instruments, I play guitar, hence I love guitar hero and RB, this is just fun, jump in jump out sorta fun at that as well!

And anyone who would never dream of picking up an instrument/microphone can just have a good larf and a good old

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    But it costs a whole lot more time/effort/money to learn the proper instruments, I play guitar, hence I love guitar hero and RB, this is just fun, jump in jump out sorta fun at that as well!

And anyone who would never dream of picking up an instrument/microphone can just have a good larf and a good old

Chris
    lol well fair enough. I thought i could justify my statement with "people who can play guitar dont like it..." as the people i know think its silly. Oh well lol

I wouldnt agree on the cost issue though. A cheap guitar/drum set isnt that much more than these games are, especially if you buy a couple of the games.

Thank Post
    I will admit that £140-150+ for a game is very steep, but as a party game for 3-4 people it seems to be in it's element.

Chris

Thank Post
    Got in on release date after bombing through all previous GH games...
    Love the guitar play, drums I'm still getting the hang of, and my wife rocks the vocals (She started on medium which she constantly hit 98-100%'s on, now on hard she's still hitting mid to high 90s.)

I've got mixed feels on GHIV. Does it feel like they're trying to catch up with the original dev team who now make Rock Band? Yes. Are they learning from someones elses mistakes? Definitely. Will it make it a better game? No. The last GH game (first without the creators behind the code) was the least satisfying for me to play overall. They got too tied up in gimmickery and... It just felt flat. Rock Band felt awesome from the first moment. My main concern with GH4 is they're trying to do too much. Loading your own tracks off your HDD sounds great... until you realize you've got to program your own note tracks, and that it'll never sound quite as good as the official tracks because you won't be creating this bit of gameplay from a nice set of master tracks but a standard stereo mix. So if you fail to play guitar the notes will still be heard, you will just lose points. If I get proven wrong... I get proven wrong. Maybe it will be made of incredible awesomeness. But Rock Band and it's continual release of fresh Downloadables has won me over. Even if I don't want everything they've released I still get stuff that comes out and surprises me.

I've read and seen many complaints about the instrument build quality... I can see *how* people have broken their drums, but i'm not sure I could do it. And I have gone into full on flailing arms mode in 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. The Guitar to me feels miles better than my old PS2 GH guitars... but many people prefer the GH controllers. The Mic... It's a mic. My wife does vocals so I rarely go near it (apart from croaking out 'Creep') but she's had no problems.

If anyone wants to play online with XBLive, throw me a friend invite. Greebo T Cat is my live tag.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    The cymbals in GHn tour are a deal maker for me.

as someone who drums, having your 2nd rack tom turn into a cymbal (as it does in rock band) is just too off putting.

Mind you - the guitar is hard enough (as i play guitar as well) when the on screen buttons don't follow fret positions...
    adapt

Thank Post
    I've been interested in getting Rock Band, the only thing stopping me is the fact I don't have an xbox 360

Also.. I play drums alot and I get though a stupid amount of sticks. I guess that is what a combination of punk rock speed and hard hitting does. With rock band the sticks are harder than the pads.. which could end badly.

Any drummers that have played rock band, whats the bounce on the pads like. I don't expect it to be the same as tightly tuned skins on a real kit, but is there any at all? I like my bounce

Thank Post
    Well I own Guitar Hero : World Tour and is simply awesome. The drumming is too much fun for someone that isn't even a drummer and makes for an awesome lads night in.

Nothing beats playing Hotel California with the full band.

Thank Post
    My missus bought GH world tour now I can't get her off the bloody thing, although the blue drum bit does not work properly it will only register if you whack it really hard thats going to be an rma me thinks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    Any drummers that have played rock band, whats the bounce on the pads like. I don't expect it to be the same as tightly tuned skins on a real kit, but is there any at all? I like my bounce
    I'm not a drummer but there is very little bounce on the pads, I have seen people abuse the drums quite throughly though and this has not caused damage. They do seem to be quite tough.

I have been to a couple of 'drunken rock band parties' and can attest that it is lots of fun with a group and can easily withstand 8-10 intoxicated individuals stumbling around it

Personally I was imune to rythem but each time I play it I do get better at it so thats a good thing. The downloadable content is also really good as we grabbed a whole bunch of extra songs from live for one of the gatherings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'm not a drummer but there is very little bounce on the pads
    By the sounds of it fast drum roles would be quite difficult (I mean really fast roles though)

Or do they not exist much in the songs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    By the sounds of it fast drum roles would be quite difficult (I mean really fast roles though)

Or do they not exist much in the songs?
    There are some fast bits depending on the song and there are also freestyle sections where you get points by hitting as manny notes as possible during the time - the thing is to get the points you must get the notes just afterwards correct or else it wipes the freestyle bonus.

Can't say that I played the drums that much as skill wise I am still a total beginner, I would say that it would take more effort to do it on the pads rather than actual drums though - from my limited experience with both. It is still totally doable though and good fun.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It is still totally doable though and good fun.
    I'm sold, all I need now is an Xbox

Thank Post
    New post to and Old thread, just the way we like it!

Thought I'd just add that I've finally tried Rock Band
    I LOVE IT!

went to a party and they had it set up. I had one go and was addicted. Shame I had to share, I would have been on it for 4 hours straight other wise.

Back to the point, it was weird to start off with, the Drums being in a funny order to real ones, it confused me a little. After got used to it, it did feel like playing the drums more than I expected.

Started achieving 90% on most songs on the Medium difficulty, which I thought was impressive from 2-3 hours playing, considering I hadn't even seen one in real life before then.

Overal rating: BIG SMILE

Thank Post
    Glad people are loving it as much as me! :-)
    I bought the rockband kit (without the game) and bought GH World Tour to play, it's all gravy! Shall be getting GH 4 when it's out and i might even treat myself to the actual Rockband game this week, shall have to see what the wages are like ;-)
    If you lot are playing on the 360 and fancy a duel, gimme an add - apoth0r

Have fun and keep practicing! :-)

Thank Post
    Not a big fan of GH:WT, still keep going back to 2 and 3 quite often. Wish you could use the earlier songs in later games like you can in RB2!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast