+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, GTA 4: Battle of the consoles in Fun Stuff; A comparison for you to look at with everything broken down and videos and pics comparing the 2. IGN did ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries

GTA 4: Battle of the consoles

A comparison for you to look at with everything broken down and videos and pics comparing the 2. IGN did have a review but no actual evidence (pics etc) so I tend to go with this.
    GTA 4: Xbox 360 vs. PS3 - 360 Wins - VideoGamer.com

360 rules
    Also the ps3 version is supposedly running at 630p not like the 360's 720p res.

Thank Post
    I will be tracking down a copy tomorrow, if there's any around, else its off to amazon and next day delivery.

Thank Post
    interesting.......... I have read on different sites like it says one prefering one over the other. Just wish I could compare them myself!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Also the ps3 version is supposedly running at 630p not like the 360's 720p res
    I doubt it's 630p as there's no such standard. If you look on the back of any PS3 game box, it says 720p or more, because 720p is the minimum to qualify as high definition, with the highest being 1080p (at the current time).

Here's the evidence to prove it - 720p, 1080i and 1080p only.

Now logic would say because all PS3's natively have HDMI ports and because Blu-ray holds more data, the PS3 version should/could be a lot more detailed than the XBOX version. I suspect eventually someone will pirate the game and make ISOs. It would be interesting to compare PS3 and XBOX sizes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    interesting.......... I have read on different sites like it says one prefering one over the other. Just wish I could compare them myself!
    Yeh but that sites the first one with real pics and videos to show the difference unlike the other sites I have found.

Micheal:
    As for 630p its just a internal res. It compiles the models and lighting etc then upscales it to the desired hd resolution. The pics show this on the last page. Its noticeably sharper on the 360. BTW halo 3 had a similarly funny res for its composition too.
    The person that discovered the ps3 res was the same person that discovered the true halo 3 resolution. He must had expensive equipment to test this with.

Remember that box is a output res. Just because a dvd player can output at 1080p it doesn't mean the source is that res, its just upscaling
    Also most ps3 games are not true 1080p texture games.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that ZeroHour, it's good to know. Technically it isn't a high definition standard as such, but I see your point about the upscaling. I did a quick search and apparently CoD4 also works at the same resolution and I own this game. Visually it's probably the best PS3 game I own.

I found this interesting video which compares PS3 and XBOX. To be honest there's nothing in it, there are just minor differences. One doesn't stand out more than the other which is good news. Rockstar have done a fab job!

I agree with the end statement though and that is try to stick with the same version as your friends, as of course you can play each other online. The other thing I found out (for PS3 anyway), that US versions of the game, cannot play against UK versions of the game online. At the moment they connect to seperate servers, but maybe one day gamers in the UK can play US gamers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh they have really done it well on both.

FYI I would guess the xbox can play US as all the games I own can so far (such as halo etc) lag free but I have not tried tonight, once I get bored of single player (if I ever get bored of it :P) I will try it out and see if it works but its never been a problem in the past.

Thank Post
    If I'm online and you want someone to jump in a game with shout me Zerohour I'll be up for it I assume it will be ok playing with US copies the only game so far that I have had problems with is Army of Two

Thank Post
    had a look at the game round mates place last night...top stuff!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The clarity on the 360 is very good.
    Not wanting to give too much away but one mission involves a sniper rifle and a window across the road. You have to call the guys number so he walks to the phone etc.
    You can just about make the numbers out zoomed fully in, which I thought was a bit silly. Until two minutes later I got a call telling me the number to ring anyway. But it was still clear enough to zoom in from a rooftop thru a window to a telephone and read the numbers on it.
    The pop-in of small items is sometimes annoying. Especially if they are non movable so you end up crashing into them. But for me the 360 version on a 32" LCD using VGA connection is spot on, even me dad was impressed how realistic it looks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    having played on both... graphics are around the same... i just prefer the ps3 controller. And the free internet.... and the inbuilt wireless... and the inbuild HDD....

and the fact it isn;'t a doorstop like my 360 which had given me the rrod twice. I don't have time to send it back!

Thank Post
    A friend of mine had the pleasure of the RROD not long ago and like you Joanne he hasn't sent it to be repaired.

Microsoft operate a strange policy because you send the console off, pay the fee, get it repaired (probably weeks later), then get refunded within 12 weeks. So why pay in the first place!?

The quality of the 360 hardware isn't one of Microsoft's strong points. I just hope these new revised consoles with HDMI ports are better made. It's estimated over 60% of consoles have experienced the RROD. PS3's comparatively have had less than 1% of consoles returned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it's still under warranty though... therefore no fee needs to be paid!

Might try and get it sent off though, then I can play assassins creeds again!! One thing I miss the most anywho.

Thank Post
    I wish I'd pre-ordered now can't get a copy anywhere
    Anyone know who has stock PS3 version?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech View Post
    I wish I'd pre-ordered now can't get a copy anywhere
    Anyone know who has stock PS3 version?
    All the shops in Nuneaton had it yesterday. None had the xbox360 version though :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast