+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, Battlefield Heroes - Free! in Fun Stuff; "You will be able to play this game on grandma's laptop" apparently. It's a slimmed down version of Battlefield, and ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Battlefield Heroes - Free!

"You will be able to play this game on grandma's laptop" apparently. It's a slimmed down version of Battlefield, and will be free. It's funded by adverts and in-game purchases (eg to customise the look of your player)

Looks awesome and i can't wait to get my filthy hands on it. Due Summer.

*BBC Article*

*wiki entry*

*official site*

*new trailer* << watch this, it's hilarious

Thank Post
    Yeah, this is looking pretty good. Aren't iD doing the same kind of thing with Quake?

Thank Post
    Only thing which really bugs me about this is the over the top political correctness of it. Black X instead of swastikas on the german stuff, the german army in it being called "The National Army" and the british army being called "The Royal Army". PC is really beginning to become a bugbear of mine.

Looks like alot of fun though, just wish they didnt have to feel like they have to remove stuff like allies, nazis and swastikas

Thank Post
    Being a BF2 Fan. I'll be taking a look at this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Yeah, this is looking pretty good. Aren't iD doing the same kind of thing with Quake?
    Yeah Quake Live (was Quake Zero - no release date as of yet)

Thank Post
    Any word on the minimum reqs for this? Might be a contender for going on my annoyingly specced laptop (meaty 3GHz P4, 512Mb ram, SIS useless grapics)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    Any word on the minimum reqs for this? Might be a contender for going on my annoyingly specced laptop (meaty 3GHz P4, 512Mb ram, SIS useless grapics)
    that may be ambitious considering its a EA game and the BF series is notorious for being "bloaty" even though I enjoy them myself.

Thank Post
    Oh dear there goes all that spare time I don't have... *injects best attempt at horrified tone* "Oh no... !"

:P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Only thing which really bugs me about this is the over the top political correctness of it. Black X instead of swastikas on the german stuff, the german army in it being called "The National Army" and the british army being called "The Royal Army". PC is really beginning to become a bugbear of mine.

Looks like alot of fun though, just wish they didnt have to feel like they have to remove stuff like allies, nazis and swastikas
    Could be to get it allowed in Germany as it is a very touchy subject over there and I think that the swastika is still a restricted symbol. I know it's a lot of faff for one country but saves making different versions. Also it does make it a lot less specific (country against country) so may appeal to more.

Thank Post
    wow looks good!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    They're gonna try and keep them as low as possible in order to allow as many people as possible to play it. They'll be ripping a lot out of the engine to keep the weight down.

Reported minimum specs:
    1Ghz CPU, 512 MB Ram, 64 MB Video Card, 500 MB HDD Space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Could be to get it allowed in Germany as it is a very touchy subject over there and I think that the swastika is still a restricted symbol. I know it's a lot of faff for one country but saves making different versions. Also it does make it a lot less specific (country against country) so may appeal to more.
    Yeah, pretty sure swastikas are banned in germany, most likely that. Shame though that we have to feel so afraid of a symbol that we need to remove it from a video game, but thats a whole different topic

I see why they have done it, I just dont like that they have had to do it.

Still should be a fun game though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a good shout to be honest. Keeping it vague removes any possibility that they'll get complaints based on a multitude of things (being pro-nazi, being anti-nazi, being an actual nazi) and keeps it all light and fun, which is the primary goal. They want to avoid any association with anything controversial (in a war game, oh the irony).

I think EA have adopted this strategy and applied it to a number of recent games. From what i've read, nowhere in COD4 does it mention where you're off to to kill people - it's always called "THE MIDDLE EAST" Gives the religious extremists one less reason to phone their lawyers or strap on the C4.

Thank Post
    Yeah, daft really, when the gun the guy is holding is clearly a thompson, and the tank is clearly a sherman, and the planes are clearly messerschmitts and spitfires, and the theatre of war map shown is clearly WW2 europe

Hehe, its a bit like making a film about a battle between an army using rifles, cannons and cavalry led by a shortish, fellow...fighting against another army, who have come from an island country, with rifles, cannons and cavalry, led by a tallish guy with a big nose. Who wins the fight partly due to rain the night before affecting the artillery of one of the armies...and saying , nope..nope its nothing to do with Waterloo

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread