+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Games with superb storylines in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Garacesh Get out. VIII. VII was terribly boring. X/X-2 and XIII/XIII-2/LR-XIII have the best story....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Get out. VIII.
    VII was terribly boring.
    X/X-2 and XIII/XIII-2/LR-XIII have the best story.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh my god, yes. Cannot recommend this enough. The gameplay ended a little sub-par by Defiance, but the story was great and the writing was superb. Given that the story involves time travel at some points, there's not too many plot holes, either.
    Possibly my favourite series of all time for storyline. Gutted it ended after Defiance though - despite the distinctly average gameplay compared to the ret of the series. They'd finally got into a position to give Kain a chance to fix everything!

Get out. VIII.
    VII was terribly boring.
    Ssshh! VIII was great (excuse the pun) but VII was a revelation, there was nothing like it at the time and the characters (with the exception of Squall who was at least as cool as cloud) were far more interesting

Thank Post
    Really don't like any of the FF games.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    at least as cool as cloud
    So not cool at all.

Cloud is a lame Zack... Who, in turn, is Angeal-lite.

@localzuk when you say "story" do you mean the heres-whats-happening stuff or the world building?

If it's the latter, Dark Souls. All day, every day.

It's the only game [I can think of] that can tell micro-stories with item/enemy placements.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Really don't like any of the FF games.
    How many of them have you played?
    Last edited by X-13; 28th July 2014 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Ssshh! VIII was great (excuse the pun) but VII was a revelation, there was nothing like it at the time
    Just 'cause it's new doesn't make it good :P
    Honestly I've played through VIII more times than I care to admit, and I'll bet I've still not found/done everything (I know I've not collected all of the cards, but I've been close!).. I've tried to play VII a good handful of times and I just.. can't get into it. It feels so dull.

As for LoK.. Sure, Kain's in a position to fix everything (Trying to avoid all spoilers) at the end of Defiance, but do we really want that? I can't picture what Nosgoth would be like 'fixed'. Nosgoth just fees 'right' in ruin. And I don't see Kain as the kind of person that wants to fix everything anyway. He just wants revenge, and probably to start a new empire..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    How many of them have you played?
    All of them up to X-2 but to varying degrees, my friend had them all and spent many an hour trying to win me over. I can appreciate that they must be awesome for them to have such a cult following. It wasn't so much that I thought they weren't good, they just didn't hold my attention (or get me hooked) like other games have. I couldn't tell you why.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    @localzuk when you say "story" do you mean the heres-whats-happening stuff or the world building?

If it's the latter, Dark Souls. All day, every day.

It's the only game [I can think of] that can tell micro-stories with item/enemy placements.
    Its the whole thing - immersion basically. Characters have detailed backstories, the world around you has a backstory, the storyline itself is detailed and interesting, minor things in game can make major differences etc...

I've seen someone stream Dark Souls and it just didn't capture my attention at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its the whole thing - immersion basically. Characters have detailed backstories, the world around you has a backstory, the storyline itself is detailed and interesting, minor things in game can make major differences etc...
    Oh, that's not really DS.

The world is built wonderfully [both lore and level design], but the story isn't all that...

Though, the lore mixes with the basic story to make something pretty good. [\opinion]

Le EDIT: VaatiVidya's Prepare to cry videos. Aspects Dark Souls Lore in a nutshell.
    Last edited by X-13; 28th July 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As for LoK.. Sure, Kain's in a position to fix everything (Trying to avoid all spoilers) at the end of Defiance, but do we really want that? I can't picture what Nosgoth would be like 'fixed'. Nosgoth just fees 'right' in ruin. And I don't see Kain as the kind of person that wants to fix everything anyway. He just wants revenge, and probably to start a new empire..
    See I always took the opinion that Kain ruined Nosgoth (evil empire, vampiric plague and subsequent decay et all) because it was the only way he could possibly get himself into a position to restore the Pillars to balance without having to die himself. I never saw him as being genuinely evil, just using what resources he had to make sure that he survived.

Thank Post
    Leisure Suit Larry

Thank Post
    I like the subtle story telling of Half life, HL2 and so on. no cut scenes or nothin just game play with hints at the plot all over the place . If i wanted to watch a film i could have done that.

Although i Max Payne 2 was great, i saw it mentioned earlier and remembered what a great atmosphere that game created when i played it

Thank Post
    See I always took the opinion that Kain ruined Nosgoth (evil empire, vampiric plague and subsequent decay et all) because it was the only way he could possibly get himself into a position to restore the Pillars to balance without having to die himself. I never saw him as being genuinely evil, just using what resources he had to make sure that he survived.
    You're not wrong. I don't think Kain's evil. Very calculating and manipulative. But I think Kain's been having to adapt his plan around Raziel's actions. He's always been looking for that 'third way', and constantly is trying to use him to achieve that.. But Raziel can (and does, on numerous occasions) royally screw things up for Kain and he's forced to re-think his next move.

Thank Post
    Some good stories in a couple of newer ones that people have mentioned i'd definitely agree with - Last of Us and Mass Effect (while i do agree 3 was weaker - I was so invested by this point after playing all 3 back to back that I enjoyed it loads anyway).

Few other ones i can think of that were pretty good: Suikoden 1 & 2, Snatcher (Blade runner esque adventure/dectective game with shooting sequences - think there were several versions but still replay the voice acted Mega CD one every so often), Lost Odyssey. I love the emotion some games stir though, guess that's why i've put so many hours in over the years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're not wrong. I don't think Kain's evil. Very calculating and manipulative. But I think Kain's been having to adapt his plan around Raziel's actions. He's always been looking for that 'third way', and constantly is trying to use him to achieve that.. But Raziel can (and does, on numerous occasions) royally screw things up for Kain and he's forced to re-think his next move.
    That's what free will does for for you I guess, allows you to muck up the best laid plans of men, gods, vampires and pesky hylden invaders.

Going to have to revisit the series now...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another random mention: To The Moon. Gamewise, it's something thrown together in RPG Maker with a single, linear plot and no challenge. Story wise, it's structured in a way that needs you to think things through and doesn't treat you like an idiot, and has an incredibly poignant and traumatic kick to it. It pops up on sale every couple of months somewhere - Steam or GOG - and is well worth the four hours it'll take to go through it. If you liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you'll like To The Moon, I reckon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast