+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Anyone play Dark Souls? in Fun Stuff; I'm looking for PC players to hang out with... Lordran is a lonely place....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyone play Dark Souls?

I'm looking for PC players to hang out with... Lordran is a lonely place.

Thank Post
    I was tempted to get it, but I hear it's a terrible port (mouse pointer doesn't vanish, controls suck even with an xbox controller, you press buttons and it decides to do something else, etc)

How're you finding it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's good. Hard as balls... you're really punished for mistakes.

I'm up to the... 3rd[?] boss. [Quelaag. NSFW]

And yeah, it's pretty bad with kb+m, but as a console peasant I'm used to the controller.

In the 20+ hours I've played [couple of characters and some... testing] I've only had the controller glitch once... I rolled off a cliff and that was last night.

There's a mod [dsfix] that sorts a lot of problems and unrestricts the fps [capped at 30 by default] plus there's dscfix to make it easier to connect to friends.

All in all... 9.8/10: it's ok I guess -IGN

Thank Post
    Speaking of which.. I feel kinda bummed out that the gaming community goes "Oh, there's this mod that fixes it pretty easily."
    I have nothing against modding games and fan-made content, but I shouldn't have to mod the fg thing just to make it work to an acceptable standard. When did it become OK for companies to kick out half-finished, poorly optimised games and crappy ports? Feels like they've been doing it since forever.. Just keeps getting worse..

Also, my housemate mentioned that exact scenario, funnily enough. Went to roll round an enemy, character decided nope, rolling backwards off this cliff is a way better idea. Such is life.

Ninja edit: Wait, Dark Souls is multiplayer? Haven't heard that bit before.. (Then again, haven't really looked into it extensively..)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Speaking of which.. I feel kinda bummed out that the gaming community goes "Oh, there's this mod that fixes it pretty easily."
    I have nothing against modding games and fan-made content, but I shouldn't have to mod the fg thing just to make it work to an acceptable standard. When did it become OK for companies to kick out half-finished, poorly optimised games and crappy ports? Feels like they've been doing it since forever.. Just keeps getting worse..
    Yup. Agree 100%.

From Software didn't port it good... but some of the big problems are on the console versions as well.

Look up "Blighttown FPS drop". That whole area kills GPUs. [Mod fixes it to a certain degree.]

Ninja edit: Wait, Dark Souls is multiplayer? Haven't heard that bit before.. (Then again, haven't really looked into it extensively..)
    Demon's souls had multiplayer.

Yup, it's super complicated.

Basically, if you're human you can be "invaded" [PvP] or can summon friends [co-op].

There are different covenants [guilds] that favour different things.

One covenant even lets you turn into a dragon... sort of.

You can only summon/invade someone +/- 10% of your level [some covenants change it] and once you kill the boss of an area you can't get invaded there any more. [Not sure how/if summons are affected.]

Thank Post

Also, my housemate mentioned that exact scenario, funnily enough. Went to roll round an enemy, character decided nope, rolling backwards off this cliff is a way better idea. Such is life.

Totally agree and why I play most games on consoles. I spend enough time fixing computers without having to fix lazy ports to PC that often require more power.

Demons Souls is still the best souls game. The multiplayer is great, a sorta 'mingleplayer' that modern games have adopted and used as an excuse not be offline.

Thank Post
    Did really enjoy Dark Souls although played it on the 360 at the time, would assume most of the crowd have now moved onto the sequel with the extra DLC and stuff coming up for it. I think the second one on PC fixed a few of the issues people had with the port of the first game (controller support etc). Have to admit though the sense of accomplishment is a hard one to beat in those games, when you finally nail a strategy and take a boss down you feel really good about it.

I take it you've strolled through Blight Town then if your at Quelaag. Delightful Place! What sort of character are you building?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowley View Post
    Did really enjoy Dark Souls although played it on the 360 at the time, would assume most of the crowd have now moved onto the sequel with the extra DLC and stuff coming up for it. I think the second one on PC fixed a few of the issues people had with the port of the first game (controller support etc). Have to admit though the sense of accomplishment is a hard one to beat in those games, when you finally nail a strategy and take a boss down you feel really good about it.
    Damn right.

Taurus took me 4 tries when I started playing. My heart was pounding and I was sweaty.

Felt so good when it finally went down... then I fell off the bridge.

I take it you've strolled through Blight Town then if your at Quelaag. Delightful Place! What sort of character are you building?
    Yup, gotta love Blighttown. Infinite giant mosquitoes, deep swamp that make you walk slow and "You have been poisoned". Nothing cooler then rocking up to Quelaag's Domain poisoned.

OG character was pure dex from Pyro, but Sen's was way too hard. I was doing next to no damage.

Now I'm pure strength from Bandit. [Up to 35 str now. Nearly soft-capped.]
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd July 2014 at 02:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Damn right.

Taurus took me 4 tries when I started playing. My heart was pounding and I was sweaty.

Felt so good when it finally went down... then I fell off the bridge.

Can think of a couple other corker bosses that will present a good time to fistpump when they decide to keel over. One in particular but i think the order is slightly subjective since you in theory could do a few of them earlier/later depending which way you go.

Yup, gotta love Blighttown. Infinite giant mosquitoes, deep swamp that make you walk slow and "You have been poisoned". Nothing cooler then rocking up to Quelaag's Domain poisoned.

OG character was pure dex from Pyro, but Sen's was way too hard. I was doing next to no damage.

Now I'm pure strength from Bandit. [Up to 35 str now. Nearly soft-capped.
    Pyro especially with some of the spells you can find after quelaag can be useful but nothing like rocking up to a 30ft spider queen with sword, shield and stones of steel.

Makes me want to play it again now..

Thank Post
    This maybe against forum rules I'm not sure, though mods can remove if necassary, although RELOADED (the game cracker) modded the game extensively himself creating patches for it and sorting out the problems with the game, apparently the smoothest way to play it is to download it from RELOADED.

Though buy it first

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can think of a couple other corker bosses that will present a good time to fistpump when they decide to keel over. One in particular but i think the order is slightly subjective since you in theory could do a few of them earlier/later depending which way you go.
    Erm... Lemme think.

Puppy Sif? Bros from the Abyss? Ace detective Artorias? Seath's babby wassherface von ladygirl?

Pyro especially with some of the spells you can find after quelaag can be useful but nothing like rocking up to a 30ft spider queen with sword, shield and stones of steel.

Makes me want to play it again now..
    ~cough~get~cough~the~cough~PC~cough~version~cough~

Damn dust...

Thank Post
    Erm... Lemme think.

Puppy Sif? Bros from the Abyss? Ace detective Artorias? Seath's babby wassherface von ladygirl?
    I was trying not to spoil it too much in case you hadn't seen so many of the bosses yet but i definitely have the names Ornstein and Smough branded into my mind somewhere.

~cough~get~cough~the~cough~PC~cough~version~cough~

Damn dust...
    Sold. Well played.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was trying not to spoil it too much in case you hadn't seen so many of the bosses yet but i definitely have the names Ornstein and Smough branded into my mind somewhere.
    I watched a let's-play before I acquired it.

Let's-play got me hype.
    Acquired for testing.
    Bought [Prepare to Die retail] for awesome Ace Detective Artorias poster and art book.

Also, Snorlax and Pikachu is where I got up to on my Pyro. Then I got distracted by other games...

Sold. Well played.
    git gud
    Last edited by X-13; 23rd July 2014 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    I watched a let's-play before I acquired it.

Let's-play got me hype.
    Acquired for testing.
    Bought [Prepare to Die retail] for awesome Ace Detective Artorias poster and art book.

Also, Snorlax and Pikachu is where I got up to on my Pyro. Then I got distracted by other games...
    Good way of doing it to gauge interest. Best way to do it sometimes, did the Prepare to Die edition add an extra boss? or am i making that up?

Although now i'm thinking of more pokemon comparisons (those 2 very apt ) chrome gpo's don't seem quite as interesting..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I died starting the game on Dark Souls...lol

literally "Press A to start" and I died. lol (I am kidding, it isn't that bad)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast