+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, E3 2014 in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab The ground-breaking thing was MULTI-LEVELLED MAPS and also SPRITES FOR WHEN THE ENEMIES FACED AWAY FROM ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    The ground-breaking thing was MULTI-LEVELLED MAPS and also SPRITES FOR WHEN THE ENEMIES FACED AWAY FROM YOU iirc
    If you're on about Doom, do you mean multi-level as in not just one floor, you could take a lift up/down etc? If so, they sort of played around with that as all maps were still top down 2D maps, you couldn't have a room on top of a room as the levels were still designed in 2D. Was extra challenging creating levels for that!
    Also the sprites still faced you when they died (the amount of times I'd stare at an Imp's a%$e, but that's besides the point!) no matter where you turned.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d0pefish View Post
    If you're on about Doom, do you mean multi-level as in not just one floor, you could take a lift up/down etc? If so, they sort of played around with that as all maps were still top down 2D maps, you couldn't have a room on top of a room as the levels were still designed in 2D. Was extra challenging creating levels for that!
    Also the sprites still faced you when they died (the amount of times I'd stare at an Imp's a%$e, but that's besides the point!) no matter where you turned.
    Yeah that is right, but you could have ramps in Doom, plus enemies could shoot down at you from cliffs etc etc. It wasn't perfect but it made everything else look super old in comparison. I remember it scaring the absolute life out of a younger me simply because of how immersive it was. Even other 3D games out at the time like Wolfenstein and Blake Stone didn't really feel as "real" as Doom did - a pretty funny thought when you compare Doom to modern FPS games!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Yeah that is right, but you could have ramps in Doom, plus enemies could shoot down at you from cliffs etc etc. It wasn't perfect but it made everything else look super old in comparison. I remember it scaring the absolute life out of a younger me simply because of how immersive it was. Even other 3D games out at the time like Wolfenstein and Blake Stone didn't really feel as "real" as Doom did - a pretty funny thought when you compare Doom to modern FPS games!
    I didn't start 'properly' gaming until UT99 and the PlayStation 1.. It amazes me to hear people mention how 'realistic' things were, both games and movies.
    I can appreciate how advanced the technology was at the time for DOOM, or for a movie example, the old King Kong films.. But there's still quite obviously 'not real'.. (I hope I'm not sounding rude)..
    UT was way more 'realistic' than DOOM but still never felt 'real' to me.. Maybe I'm just very black-and-white?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When you grow up playing Pacman and Space Invaders, Doom looks amazingly realistic. Unreal Tournament was what, 4-5yrs after Doom?

I suppose it's a frame of reference thing. I grew up playing games like Fantasy World Dizzy and Flashback, so when the PS1 came along with Abe's Odyssey, Tomb Raider and FF:VII, it was very real to me. Even today playing games on XBox like Hitman and True Crimes feels amazingly real.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased?

Thank Post
    4-5 years sounds about right, but I remember UT99 and FF:VIII being my first 'main' games. Although I've played plenty of PAC-MAN and other 'simpler' games.. I remember one for the PS1, and old cartoony-style game called 'Jumping Flash'.. But the games were equally 'not real' to me (even though, for example, UT99 is more 'real' than FF8)..

Things didn't really start feeling 'real' to me until landscaping/'natural' level designs improved and character movement was refined. I just don't get how big ol' Godzilla or King Kong's jerky movements seemed 'real'.. Uncanny valley and all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    CUPHEAD

Obviously going to be awesome.

Valiant Hearts could go either way, but the subject matter looks interesting (trailer needs headphones, possibly also tissues for manful tears)

Batman: Arkham Knight looks amazing, and I say that as someone who didn't get on with City/Oranges, but you can tell there's a new generation of tech powering Knight. Project CARS also seems like the stuff of make believe.

Ori looks like Limbo by way of Studio Ghibli, which is clearly amazing. I really, really hope No Man's Sky turns out as amazing as it looks, because it looks incredible. And I may finally get to finish Grim Fandango now - every PC I've ever played the original on has hit a crash bug at some point

Witcher 3 is still the game I want the most though (NSFW for mega violence).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

INSIDE (from Limbo developer Playdead) ]

^This is the one I'm looking forward to, If it's half as good a Limbo then it's gonna be a winner!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 13th June 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    any love for Ori and the blind forest?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    any love for Ori and the blind forest?

I have love for pretty much everything.

Except not-Halo and CoD 50Billion.

And Forza... And Fifa.

...and the new AC isn't as much love as I thought. Needs more female assassins.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Needs more female assassins.
    Those cost too many monies, don'chyaknow?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Those cost too many monies, don'chyaknow?
    I don't doubt it. Making the rigs, graphics and animations take time. Time people have to be paid for.

Plus, if they're voiced, they're looking at a massive cost for female voice actors in every language...

The tumblr SJWs are eating themselves over this... it's actually pretty funny.

They're kicking off because there's no female assassins.... They're arguing that female =/= chesticles... So, TECHNICALLY [according to their logic] that could be a group of 4 women.

Le EDIT: I just noticed that Ori and the Blind Forest is "Only on Xbox One"... Eh, no it isn't. It's coming to PC as well.
    Last edited by X-13; 13th June 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem with having a female assassin is finding the right shoes to go with the outfit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The problem with having a female assassin is finding the right shoes to go with the outfit
    They've had a couple... Never seen that problem come up.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Shao_Jun

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...ne_de_Grandpré

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know I've seen this argument all over the interweb and your the first person I've seen remember AC Liberation even exists!

Also (Fast Show) " Does my bum look big in this?"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast