+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
Gaming Thread, Watch Dogs???????? in Fun Stuff; We bought it last week and played it for a bit. Not had chance to play it since. Might have ...
  1. #31
    Joanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,504
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    17
    Rep Power
    74
    We bought it last week and played it for a bit. Not had chance to play it since. Might have another crack tonight if the football turns out to be boring!

  2. #32


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,870
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    Rep Power
    785

  3. #33


    DMcGuigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    Yeah.. I'm gonna need to get this on PC now because of that.

    Get to push my 780 a bit :P

  4. #34

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Yeah.. I'm gonna need to get this on PC now because of that.

    Get to push my 780 a bit :P
    I'm currently getting prices for this. GT870m is a beast [compared to my current GT430m]

    Watch_Dogs is going to look so good. Hopefully the modder can fully fix the performance issues.

  5. #35
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,114
    Thank Post
    826
    Thanked 357 Times in 281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    281
    Problem with a laptop is it's harder to upgrade/repair. You are basically buying a console!

  6. #36


    DMcGuigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    All depends on whether you need to move around with it though, for that kinda price you could get a desktop, but not exactly portable :P

    I've played with the idea of getting a decent gaming laptop, but I just can't justify it. I've got my PC, PS4 and Vita, that pretty much covers all my gaming. If I had the laptop the Vita'd just sit in a corner

  7. #37

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,529
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 315 Times in 231 Posts
    Rep Power
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Problem with a laptop is it's harder to upgrade/repair. You are basically buying a console!
    I'd have to disagree, not all laptops are like this. My Alienware 17 allows you to very easily replace the CPU, GPU, RAM, 3 HDD Slot Bays, Wifi Card, Screen detaches with two screws, the back panel to access all the hardware detaches with two screws, the keyboard and even trackpad are very easily replaced!

    It depends what you buy I know for example the Alienware 14 has a GPU that is soldered into the motherboard which is why I didn't buy that one. But my GPU in the 17 very easily un-slots like any RAM would.

  8. #38

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Problem with a laptop is it's harder to upgrade/repair. You are basically buying a console!
    MXM compatable GPU [upgradable] and an i7 MQ [upgradable]

    2 HDD slots and up to 32GB RAM.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    All depends on whether you need to move around with it though, for that kinda price you could get a desktop, but not exactly portable :P
    I have no space indoors. So for me, laptop > desktop.

  9. #39
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    713
    Thank Post
    162
    Thanked 89 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I'm currently getting prices for this. GT870m is a beast [compared to my current GT430m]

    Watch_Dogs is going to look so good. Hopefully the modder can fully fix the performance issues.
    Be honest, you just want it because of that amazing rainbow keyboard.

    I've had a soft spot for the Alienware products as the spec's do seem fantastic, but it's always the pricetag that puts me off - is it really worth all that cash? (I don't know anybody IRL that has one so unable to see one in the flesh)
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 17th June 2014 at 10:48 AM.

  10. #40

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Be honest, you just want it because of that amazing rainbow keyboard.
    ...maybe.

  11. #41
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,114
    Thank Post
    826
    Thanked 357 Times in 281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I'd have to disagree, not all laptops are like this. My Alienware 17 allows you to very easily replace the CPU, GPU, RAM, 3 HDD Slot Bays, Wifi Card, Screen detaches with two screws, the back panel to access all the hardware detaches with two screws, the keyboard and even trackpad are very easily replaced!

    It depends what you buy I know for example the Alienware 14 has a GPU that is soldered into the motherboard which is why I didn't buy that one. But my GPU in the 17 very easily un-slots like any RAM would.
    With Alienware, any savings you would make you lose from brand name...

    Even then laptops vary and have a habit of using bizarre components that are different from standard PC stuff (and priced appropriately for how hard they can be to find).

  12. #42

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    With Alienware, any savings you would make you lose from brand name...

    Even then laptops vary and have a habit of using bizarre components that are different from standard PC stuff (and priced appropriately for how hard they can be to find).
    Which is why I'm looking at MSI... that and their logo is a God-damn DRAGON!

  13. #43

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,529
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 315 Times in 231 Posts
    Rep Power
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    With Alienware, any savings you would make you lose from brand name...

    Even then laptops vary and have a habit of using bizarre components that are different from standard PC stuff (and priced appropriately for how hard they can be to find).
    But due to the brand name the re-sale value on the laptop will be much higher than the re-sale value on a custom made computer for example. I always see comments about how Alienware machines are apparently overpriced and your just paying for the branding but people don't understand the work that goes into them things like a solid steel backing plate below the keyboard to stop keyboard flexing is one example of how well made and quality products they are.

    Alienware from the 2013 models now use generic hardware components hence the reason you can use generic latest drivers from Nvidia now rather than having to wait for Alienware (Dell) to publish the modified drivers. I could simply walk into a shop buy the latest Nvidia 880m and install it wouldn't have to worry the new A10 BIOS just picks it up like you would a desktop. Granted mobile GPUs are a lot more expensive but I like the portability and don't mind spending that bit extra so I can game on holiday when the girlfriend is taking 4 hours to get ready for example.

  14. #44


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,870
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    Rep Power
    785

  15. #45

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Ooh, looks good. It's interesting that it isn't causing much FPS drop... but I usually attribute that to PC gamers having enough kit to power through shoddy coding.

    Though it's getting to the point where I'm not seeing much difference between the console peasant and PC master race versions...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pics] Video game preorders are out of control (Watch Dogs-related)
    By Arthur in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th May 2014, 08:51 AM
  2. [Video] Dog vs. Vuvuzela: Watch To The End: Vuvuzela Player Gets Shock!
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th June 2010, 05:47 PM
  3. Worlds Ugliest Dog
    By ninjabeaver in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th August 2005, 09:20 PM
  4. Anyone watch '24'
    By Mango_RW in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th July 2005, 07:54 PM
  5. watching movies on projectors
    By MManjra in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th July 2005, 11:08 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •