+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion in Fun Stuff; Would you still buy an Oculus Rift, now that Facebook own Oculus VR? Sources : Oculus Blog / Facebook / ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts

Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion

Would you still buy an Oculus Rift, now that Facebook own Oculus VR?

Sources: Oculus Blog / Facebook / Eurogamer / Engadget / The Verge / Android Police

It's a surprising move to be sure, but Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg has assured us that the Oculus Rift's future in third-party gaming will be unaffected by this change, so you needn't worry that it will become exclusive to Farmville or anything like that.

"Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences," said Zuckerberg in his announcement. "Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this."

Phew! So what do Zuckerberg and co. want from Oculus, you ask? As it turns out, the inspiration for The Social Network explained that he's interested in utilising the Oculus for other social avenues.

"After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," he stated. "Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face - just by putting on goggles in your home." (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 25th March 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts

'Minecraft' creator cancels Oculus Rift version following Facebook acquisition The Verge

Minecraft creator Markus Persson has revealed that an Oculus Rift version of the game was potentially in the works, but following the sudden news that Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion, that's no longer the case. "I just cancelled that deal," Persson tweeted.

http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-rea...nge-the-world/
    Last edited by Arthur; 25th March 2014 at 11:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Worst news ever... The threads on reddit and gaf are hilarious

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    Worst news ever.
    Completely agree, amazing tech and so many different and innovative uses but all of which probably won't happen now.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, Facebook or Google will be the ones in a position to utilise it for non-gaming purposes and both are as bad as each other. Only it's harder to avoid using Google services...

Thank Post
    Terrible news.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    To be fair, Facebook or Google will be the ones in a position to utilise it for non-gaming purposes and both are as bad as each other. Only it's harder to avoid using Google services...
    +1 for the above
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 28th March 2014 at 04:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    To be fair to Google, they've created tangible other things outside of their core product. Facebook hasn't.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th March 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colour me cynical

I can see why Facebook have done it - telepresence - and I can see glimmers of light in the darkness, such as Facebook's contributions to open source hardware with their server designs etc. It may well be that the injection of cash and the 800 pound gorilla helps in hardware negotations and gets the spec up for a lower price.

But my gut feeling is disappointment and sadness and a mourning for what could have been

I can only hope that OR get the first version out within a year or two, before the corporate rot has had time to take hold, and that will be a good enough device to spur the market on (and be a device, not a platform). I suspect we'll need another company to carry the momentum from there, though.

I can see an upcoming irony in finally getting to the pinnacle of immersive visual reality only to have it constantly ruined by Facebook notifications.

Thank Post
    I think Mark Zuckerberg hasn't realised yet that while his Facebook company has millions of users, its reputation is tainted with privacy issues.

It recently bought WhatsApp and the main issue people raise is Facebook will be using their personal details to promote ads on WhatsApp.

He should be using his Billions of dollars on researching new technologies, not buying other people's ideas. But he has probably ran out of ideas since he created Facebook.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm more inclined to ask why he bought it? This isn't a Facebook thing. Is he doing a Google/Apple/Amazon and making a play for the console market? Or is he really only interested in the (rather rediculous IMHO) communications aspects of it?

Both Sony and MS are developing their own VR head gear for PS4 and XB1 respectfully. I don't see VR headgear working in a TV console environment. (consoles next to the TV. Cable from head to console? or two high def displays run over a wireless signal?).

I think FB have the money and clout to develop the rift into a full fledged standalone gamind experiance that could be kinda of interesting if played right. Imagine a pico form factor console device that could clip to your belt. Attach headset and controller. Use SDHC cards to load games. I'd buy one.

I suppose time will tell what he makes of it. Probably just a PC add on and communications tool.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    To be fair to Google, they've created tangible other things outside of their core product. Facebook hasn't.
    Their products still revolve around their core product: Advertising.

Search: Great way to see what people want and target ads.
    Drive: Obtain people's data for analytics.
    Apps: See Drive. Get people on to your platform for harvesting!
    ISP: Literally all the users traffic at hand! And more online = more users for Google!
    Android: Integrate search, products and analytics directly into the OS.
    YouTube: More data and ad revenue from the biggest video site ever.
    Plus: Erm....they tried to be Facebook and failed! More data for the ad-powered juggernaut.
    Chrome: Guess what, more ad data!

Remember, Google are an advertising company and their products revolve around the ability to collect your data for targeting adverts in your direction. It's scary how much they are in our daily lives and it frightens me a bit IMO.

Facebook is just an irritation I can (and have) ditched.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As well as telepresence, I think there is also an aspect of "holy mother of god we've got a lot of money, let's spend it all! Instagram! WhatsApp! Oculus Rift!"

None of their recent headline acquisitions have made much sense for the price paid.

Thank Post
    I have no respect for Mark Zuckerberg and whats he has done, why? Well it's never been him that has come up with any idea he has just been the clever nerd that develops it, even Facebook was stolen and the two twins won a lawsuit againsed him (not that he cared as the settlement wasn't worth what half of Facebook is worth now).

He got an easy break once Facebook hit off and was very lucky that it did and that Bebo, MySpace, etc didn't hit it off as big. It seems that now he has the money he is going and buying other ideas off people to make more money, I just still can't get my head around the fact every company he owns such as Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, none of which he invented and made up in his own head and he's a multi-billionaire. The oculus will be ruined, it has got so much potential but this is another way for good ol' Mark to stick his head in again and ruin a product, but people won't mind and will still buy because it has his name on it, a bit like iPads and Macs people used to buy Apple products just because they loved Steve Jobs and to me technology should be something that makes lives more easier and fun, not a tool used to preach to the public that have no idea what they are going on about to make an extra buck.

It's a huge shame that all technology nowadays is going down the same path: Advertisements and Profits. Remember the good old days when kids like us would sit there for hours tinkering and programming games and that if your game became popular you had no care about profit you where just overwhelmed that your game did so well.... this kind of thing never happens anymore and it's sad! I thought Kickstarter would help projects like these become a reality again but if the big Cooperations are just going to buy off every good idea then what's the point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is how the Oculus Rift creator is feeling right now...

This is how the fans of it react

This is how the world sees Oculus rift

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast