+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by abillybob I have no respect for Mark Zuckerberg and whats he has done, why? Well it's never ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I have no respect for Mark Zuckerberg and whats he has done, why? Well it's never been him that has come up with any idea he has just been the clever nerd that develops it, even Facebook was stolen and the two twins won a lawsuit againsed him (not that he cared as the settlement wasn't worth what half of Facebook is worth now).
    He certainly isn't the first to pull such a stunt and he won't be the last. He saw an opportunity to make a fortune out of something and went for it, can't blame him for that... not saying it was the right way to go about it but I'm not going to feel too bad for the multi-millionaire Winklevoss twins. At least Zuckerberg actually made Facebook, even if it wasn't entirely his idea!

He got an easy break once Facebook hit off and was very lucky that it did and that Bebo, MySpace, etc didn't hit it off as big. It seems that now he has the money he is going and buying other ideas off people to make more money, I just still can't get my head around the fact every company he owns such as Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, none of which he invented and made up in his own head and he's a multi-billionaire.
    Again, it's business. You don't hold on to your fortune by standing still (ask MySpace!) you have to grow. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the invasive nature of Facebook and hate that it keeps getting more and more embedded in to my daily life through all these acquisitions (I do not have a Facebook account) but I'm more angry at the companies who are selling out to them than I am at Facebook.

It's a huge shame that all technology nowadays is going down the same path: Advertisements and Profits. Remember the good old days when kids like us would sit there for hours tinkering and programming games and that if your game became popular you had no care about profit you where just overwhelmed that your game did so well.... this kind of thing never happens anymore and it's sad! I thought Kickstarter would help projects like these become a reality again but if the big Cooperations are just going to buy off every good idea then what's the point.
    Presumably you're not aware of the enormous indie gaming scene then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    If he's not aware maybe it's not so enormous :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    He certainly isn't the first to pull such a stunt and he won't be the last. He saw an opportunity to make a fortune out of something and went for it, can't blame him for that... not saying it was the right way to go about it but I'm not going to feel too bad for the multi-millionaire Winklevoss twins. At least Zuckerberg actually made Facebook, even if it wasn't entirely his idea!

Again, it's business. You don't hold on to your fortune by standing still (ask MySpace!) you have to grow. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the invasive nature of Facebook and hate that it keeps getting more and more embedded in to my daily life through all these acquisitions (I do not have a Facebook account) but I'm more angry at the companies who are selling out to them than I am at Facebook.

It's just my opinion! I understand it is all business but on a personal level from what I've heard I don't like the bloke. Its as simple as that.
    Regarding the indie gaming scene, I have I play more indie games than anything else and think Rust is something of a masterpiece but that was just an example, granted probably not the best but I just feel that technology is moving in a path of profitable, preaching people, spying, and everything else we all know about Google, Apple, FaceBook, Microsoft etc... It's a shame that nothing is being invented because people just like to tinker and play with stuff to help people. Sorry I'm kind of having a hard time explaining this as I don't know how I can put it simpler then using the gaming scene as an example. It would just be nice to see something that changes how we live on a daily basis that isn't made by organisations that dominate the technology industry. Bring a new brand and face to the scene things like the Oculus Rift, Pebble Smartwatch, all of these I want more off and I definatley don't want to see them fall in the hands of these big companies.

Thank Post
    It's just my opinion!
    Mine too, I'm debating not arguing

It would just be nice to see something that changes how we live on a daily basis that isn't made by organisations that dominate the technology industry. Bring a new brand and face to the scene things like the Oculus Rift, Pebble Smartwatch, all of these I want more off and I definatley don't want to see them fall in the hands of these big companies.
    The problem is logistics. I could come up with something incredible today (theoretically, I have neither the means nor the ideas to actually do so!) that would revolutionise the way people interact with their natural environment - but how would I sell it? I'd need marketing, I'd need distribution, I'd need production lines... I'd need a lot of money. Now one way to get that money is crowd funding via something like Kickstarter. The problem there is it's a victim of its own promise as you now need either a big marketing budget or a a lot of luck to get spotted on there. The other way is to get sponsored by a big corporation, convince them of my idea and let them foot the bill, but they'll want the product to be their own for that capital.

EDIT: of course if you already have the capital to back such a campaign, as the Winklevoss twins did, then you had better have the business sense to protect your idea before you hand off work to someone with the means to produce it or pay the price!

The Internet has made it much easier for a lot of people to get discovered in all walks of life and has made it possible for all manner of products, invention, games, artists etc. to get discovered who previously would have had no chance. The problem is, week by week it seems the "signal to noise" ratio gets worse.

I don't know what the answer is but rest assured that if I did, I'd do it and hope that I could do it without the backing of big corp!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 26th March 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    If he's not aware maybe it's not so enormous :P
    Between Kickstarter and Steam green lights it looks pretty enormous to me. Never known the Indi scene to be as big as it is now. Its turned into a muti million pound industry making 100's of millions a year.

Thank Post
    True but for people that are successful like the Oculus Rift it could have funded itself and done quite well without the need to sell it to Facebook so why do it when you have been noticed that's my question, all people think about now is money and potentially ruin what could be an amazing product!
    What are people saying aswell? is it Facebook the company that own the Oculus Rift or is it Mark Zuckerberg that has bought it to start it with a new company?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did read an opinion article - and I'm buggered if I can remember enough about the article to scare it up on Google now - lamenting the fact that all Silicon Valley start ups now have one goal between them: acquisition. It's not about growing yourself and taking on the world, it's about creating enough buzz and value early on that you get bought by MS, Apple, Google, Facebook... the only startup that's gone big on its own recently is probably Twitter.

Thank Post
    True but for people that are successful like the Oculus Rift it could have funded itself and done quite well without the need to sell it to Facebook so why do it when you have been noticed that's my question, all people think about now is money and potentially ruin what could be an amazing product!
    There aren't many people who would turn down $2bn for the sake of pride... though I have to say, in this particular instance it seems like a misjudgement to me. Less than 24 hours after the acquisition we see the boat getting rocked. I honestly believe Oculus could have stood to make a lot more money if they'd seen this though to the end without selling out, but clearly they deemed the risk of failure too great to turn down the offer. Would I have done the same in their position? If anyone ever offers me $2bn for something I have produced, I'll let you know

What are people saying aswell? is it Facebook the company that own the Oculus Rift or is it Mark Zuckerberg that has bought it to start it with a new company?
    Facebook the company now owns Oculus, not Zuckerberg. However, Zuckerberg is still the majority shareholder and CEO of Facebook, so stands to make substantial profit from all acquisitions if they pay off (and considerable financial loss if they fail)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I did read an opinion article - and I'm buggered if I can remember enough about the article to scare it up on Google now - lamenting the fact that all Silicon Valley start ups now have one goal between them: acquisition. It's not about growing yourself and taking on the world, it's about creating enough buzz and value early on that you get bought by MS, Apple, Google, Facebook... the only startup that's gone big on its own recently is probably Twitter.
    Yeah that's a bigger problem - there does seem to be a culture of creating an idea just to sell it. I wonder how many failed Kickstarter campaigns are the result of this culture, focused so much on selling an idea that they never imagined they'd have to see it through to the end and giving up when faced with that challenge.

Big corp acquisitions are nothing new and not in and of themselves a problem, it's the race to become a sell out that is more damaging IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering what facebook now own, it doesn't surprise me that they are looking at newer acquisitions!

Oculus Rift (OR) were the latest in a long line of acquisitions planned by them. They're looking at a few other smaller scale buys, and considering they've shelled out $18billion in less than 2 months, they can continue to buy up more and expand. It isn't going to be a bad thing, OR were coming up short on their promises, in that they couldn't supply the VR helmets to people who paid up big time, because costs were much higher than anticipated.

Facebook stepping in isn't bad here, hopefully they can pull it off well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    OR were coming up short on their promises, in that they couldn't supply the VR helmets to people who paid up big time, because costs were much higher than anticipated.
    What is your source for that? AFAIK, they have been delivering dev kits with no problems. They recently hit a bump in the road in terms of certain components no longer being manufactured [source] but they haven't yet stopped shipping and I can't imagine that any component they are running out of cannot be fairly easily substituted.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Link: http://www.geekfill.com/2014/03/26/f...ady-called-it/

The Simpsons: Season 9: Episode 12: Bart Carny.

Thank Post
    Facebook's version of the Occulus Rift is now the final stages of user acceptance testing....

wow2030.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All this negativity! I still think Facebook are one of the few companies that has the money and possibly ideas to do something truely exciting with it. If they can come up with a wearable device that's not reliant on any existing console or PC hardware...

Thank Post
    I'm hoping that this is just Facebook diversifying their business.
    I'm hoping that they they are creating a device that will be able to plug into any device, PC or console (not sure about Sony since they are developing their own OR device).
    I'm hoping that this will not turn into a shiney, shiney device for only viewing facebook and playing their facebook games.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast