+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Gaming Thread, Dwarf Fortress in Fun Stuff; I forgot this was a subforum, and the new update for dorf fort (2 years in the making!) is rumoured ...
  1. #1

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    298
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 100 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    114

    Dwarf Fortress

    I forgot this was a subforum, and the new update for dorf fort (2 years in the making!) is rumoured to be coming soon... Anyone else play?
    I got into it again kind of recently (gave up a while ago after no guides helped my dumb brain, then found some better ones that did) so I really do suck.

    I abandoned my last fortress last week after one dwarf went into a tantrum with no prior warning which set off a chain reaction of everybody going insane and murdering each other, the animals and the children. I watched my favourite dwarf who had previously been crippled after one too many fights with bears grow old and become too injured to lift anything... And then he was murdered by the glassmaker who had just suffocated a baby.

    Fun!

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,593
    Thank Post
    929
    Thanked 344 Times in 264 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I abandoned my last fortress last week after one dwarf went into a tantrum with no prior warning which set off a chain reaction of everybody going insane and murdering each other
    Wat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    , the animals and the children.
    .... There are no words. Only 'Wat'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I watched my favourite dwarf who had previously been crippled after one too many fights with bears grow old and become too injured to lift anything...
    Aww ;_; I hope he had a respectable dea-
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    And then he was murdered by the glassmaker who had just suffocated a baby.
    Seriously.. WAT?!

    Sounds.. Interesting.
    I'd only heard of Dwarf Fortress in passing (in relation to Minecraft being based on Infiniminer(I think?) which was based on Dwarf Fortress) but never heard any details about the game.

    Are these mass-exoduses common between our vertically-challenged friends?

  3. #3

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    298
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 100 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Seriously.. WAT?!

    Sounds.. Interesting.
    I'd only heard of Dwarf Fortress in passing (in relation to Minecraft being based on Infiniminer(I think?) which was based on Dwarf Fortress) but never heard any details about the game.

    Are these mass-exoduses common between our vertically-challenged friends?
    Well... It's actually more gruesome than I let on. I snapped a pic quickly because I whatsapped it to a friend. The glassmaker actually punched the baby so hard that its rib pierced its lung until what I suppose is a collapsed lung killed him.

    IMG_0796.jpg

    And... I'd say it's more than common. Before murdering each other, I decided that I didn't have enough food and those smelly awful prissy stupidly tall wood-loving elf merchants had too nice of a donkey with them, so I slaughtered them and then forgot how to dispose of corpses. Their skeletons were on display 'til the end. As it should be. F@*& elves.

    Disclaimer: It was lunchtime when I was playing it!

  4. #4


    DMcGuigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    613
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    ..This sounds relevant to my interests, may have to give it a go in between the myriad of other games I've got going at the minute.

    The elves deserved everything they got though. Dwarves > Elves every single time :P
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 24th March 2014 at 03:58 PM.

  5. #5

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    298
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 100 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    ..This sounds relevant to my interests, may have to give it a go in between the myriad of other games I've got going at the minute.

    The elves deserved everything they got though. Dwarves > Elves every single time :P
    If you're just getting started, there's a great guide called somethign like The Complete Noob's guide to getting started with Dwarf Fortress. It starts with an already generated world and walks you through it. Failing that, teh same guy wrote an actual book which is fantastic called Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress. There's also the odd good youtube series out there. I haven't dared venture into Adventure Mode yet, but the next update looks like it's going to be super heavy on that so then I'm gonna give it a shot.

    And elves are literally the worst race ever in this game. It goes:
    Dwarves > Dwarf children > Dwarf babies > Dead dwarves > Dragons > Forgotten Beasts > Kobolds > Humans > Goblins > DEAD ELVES > Elves
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 24th March 2014 at 03:58 PM.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,593
    Thank Post
    929
    Thanked 344 Times in 264 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    Disclaimer: It was lunchtime when I was playing it!
    Wow, sounds pretty gruesome. Who writes this stuff O_O
    Nothing wrong with gaming at work I've been on hold with Lenovo for the past 20 minutes, with a netbook imaging to my right. Where's my DS when I need it? ;_;

    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    ..This sounds relevant to my interests, may have to give it a go in between the myriad of other games I've got going at the minute.
    Might have to give it a bash myself

    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    And elves are literally the worst race ever in this game. It goes:
    Dwarves > Dwarf children > Dwarf babies > Dead dwarves > Dragons > Forgotten Beasts > Kobolds > Humans > Goblins > DEAD ELVES > Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    The elves deserved everything they got though. Dwarves > Elves every single time :P
    Why do you two hate Elves? Racists!

  7. #7


    DMcGuigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    613
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    If you're just getting started, there's a great guide called somethign like The Complete Noob's guide to getting started with Dwarf Fortress. It starts with an already generated world and walks you through it. Failing that, teh same guy wrote an actual book which is fantastic called Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress. There's also the odd good youtube series out there. I haven't dared venture into Adventure Mode yet, but the next update looks like it's going to be super heavy on that so then I'm gonna give it a shot.

    And elves are literally the worst race ever in this game. It goes:
    Dwarves > Dwarf children > Dwarf babies > Dead dwarves > Dragons > Forgotten Beasts > Kobolds > Humans > Goblins > DEAD ELVES > Elves
    No Halflings?! Poor show DF, poor show indeed.

    I'll grab it tonight and have a play, no Diablo Xpac for me til Thursday, so I suppose that gives me plenty of time to dabble, I'll probably go in blind, rage for a few hours then start looking at things.. stubborn like that :P

    I assume this is something I'm gonna need stress relief from after a while? May have to bring a stress brick or two home if so...

    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Why do you two hate Elves? Racists!
    That's quite simple, Everything > Elves.

    No racism involved, they just live in their little forests or hidden cities moping til they get attacked, then they mope some more until they're rescued by the Dwarves / Hobbits / Humans / Rat People of the Underdells.
    Last edited by DMcGuigan; 24th March 2014 at 03:07 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Dwarf Fortress anyone? :)
    By Geoff in forum Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th October 2010, 06:45 PM
  2. Red Dwarf
    By AdamR78 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 17th April 2009, 09:18 AM
  3. Boys from the Dwarf!!!!!
    By flyinghaggis in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 27th January 2009, 10:16 PM
  4. Team Fortress 2
    By R1ch in forum Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th January 2008, 08:22 PM
  5. Team Fortress 2 Beta
    By ChrisH in forum Gaming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th October 2007, 06:50 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •