+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Gaming Thread, Boy spends £4000 on Fifa... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by j17sparky We've got to remember this is a very recent business model (it's only became big in ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    We've got to remember this is a very recent business model (it's only became big in the last 3 or 4 years) so can we honestly blame parents, who likely have never played or heard of a computer game under this model?
    And suffered sitting in a teenage boy's bedroom being gassed by Lynx, setting up the d@mned thing on an unfamiliar UI, with constant whining about "Is it working yet?" in yer ear'ole.

Thank Post
    Erm just to point out my little brother is 13 and has a debit card by HSBC bank and so did I when I was his age. He uses that to put on his AppleID and PSN not my mum. He then just hand in his money to the bank each week and buys what he wants!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Erm just to point out my little brother is 13 and has a debit card by HSBC bank and so did I when I was his age. He uses that to put on his AppleID and PSN not my mum. He then just hand in his money to the bank each week and buys what he wants!
    i diddnt think you could have a debit card till 16?

Thank Post
    Visa Electron cards are available for under 16's - or at least were when I was 15

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I thought this was the same as one I was reading about this morning... [though, with the amount wrong.]

Henry Tattersall: Boy, 13, 'stunned' by £420 Xbox bill hanged himself | Metro News

*This one is possibly slightly wrong... He didn't "mistakenly" download the games. It was deliberate.
    Tasteful choice of accompanying picture in that article.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Tasteful choice of accompanying picture in that article.

I didn't notice until you mentioned it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Yes. Yes we can. Until kids are earning themselves... have their own bank account... they can shut their mouths and accept pre-paid cards for chores. When they get their own money and own accounts... let them piddle away their own money. Thats the only way they learn. If its your own money.... its your responsibility to look after it and the account.
    My point is you know how it works, most people don't until they get a big fat bill. I'm not saying the parent is blameless but I don't think it's unfair to say a lot of people don't understand this payment system.

Lets replace computer game with almost any other product. You go into a clothes shop with your kid and buy them some shoes on your card (equivalent of setting up the xbox with live gold by card). You walk out the shop taking your card with you. The next day your kid walks in, grabs himself that designer jacket, takes it to the till and the attendant says "Should we just stick that on the same card as what was used to buy your shoes?" Without any authorisation from the card holder payment is taken.

When the bill came through for your card would you challenge it or would you accept it? What if he had bought up half the store without anyone questioning it, would you challenge it then? I suspect you would.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    My point is you know how it works, most people don't until they get a big fat bill. I'm not saying the parent is blameless but I don't think it's unfair to say a lot of people don't understand this payment system.

Lets replace computer game with almost any other product. You go into a clothes shop with your kid and buy them some shoes on your card (equivalent of setting up the xbox with live gold by card). You walk out the shop taking your card with you. The next day your kid walks in, grabs himself that designer jacket, takes it to the till and the attendant says "Should we just stick that on the same card as what was used to buy your shoes?" Without any authorisation from the card holder payment is taken.

When the bill came through for your card would you challenge it or would you accept it? What if he had bought up half the store without anyone questioning it, would you challenge it then? I suspect you would.
    but a shop is a 1 time only contract itunes/appstore/xbox live etc is a service contract with details kept on file for future transactions its not the same thing (and you do agree to this via the terms and conditions which i know nobody reads and maybe some of this needs to be in letters the size of a house separate) and you would think most people have seen the news stories recently and then go checkjust for piece of mind (i know if there was anyone in my place but me id probably lock my kindle/xbox down so you needed a password to buy stuff). At what point though do you have to stop hand holding people through life and let them make mistakes? do we ban cars because parents dont teach their kind the green cross code and they get knocked down? i dont get how this is any different really

Thank Post
    Ultimately the sensible solution would be for any account holders under 18 to only be able to use pre-paid cards, maybe 16 if you go for the youth debit card schemes. Publishers won't do it as they're actively preying on young \ naive gamers to increase their profit margins and they're raking in the £££ right now.

Thank Post
    It is a bit disturbing that these kids are only a few short years from being able to go out and work, get a mortgage, their own credit card, etc., and seem to have no idea of the value of money. Surely every purchase must have a price tag attached?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the xbox it tells you a price in either MS Points or in Physical money (until the MS Points finally get taken out of circulation which I believe is the end of this month) so he could well have spent loads on MS points and not realised just how much he was spending (10 lots of 8000 points would be around £720)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Last edited by Arthur; 28th February 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Poor kid

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It can eat away at some kids, and unfortunately they dont realise how bad things can get.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234