+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Boy spends 4000 on Fifa... in Fun Stuff; Credit card is safer as it has considerably more protection then a debit card. The chargeback would leave him with ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Credit card is safer as it has considerably more protection then a debit card. The chargeback would leave him with an XBL account that has a purchasing ban though (some services are outright bans).

Mind you, before online taking your parent's credit card and using it to purchase stuff knowing you shouldn't (because let's be honest, there are enough warnings to know real money is being used and the kid knew full well it was not his card) the blame would have been on the kid and not the guy in the shop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So, I'm really at a loss as to how anyone can spend 1800 on Minecraft anything.
    It sounded like the initial purchase just kept going through over and over.

It's 17.95, so it went through 100 times. [Could be the old "it's slow, so I'll click it again" syndrome.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Credit card is safer as it has considerably more protection then a debit card. The chargeback would leave him with an XBL account that has a purchasing ban though (some services are outright bans).

Mind you, before online taking your parent's credit card and using it to purchase stuff knowing you shouldn't (because let's be honest, there are enough warnings to know real money is being used and the kid knew full well it was not his card) the blame would have been on the kid and not the guy in the shop.
    Credit card is considerably safer - if it's something you're actually wanting to purchase, and of considerable value, like a washing machine, or new PC.
    Shouldn't really have a credit card hooked up for purchases that are supposed to be 50 tops the majority of the time (this includes purchasing actual games)

Realistically you're right though. There's (supposed to be) enough warning you're spending actual cash, so the kid must have known what he was doing. I'm of the opinion that CVV verification should be required on each purchase as a minimum, but that's just me.

Thank Post
    I deliberately leave my WoW subscription running. I love the game and having to faff about reactivating it whenever I want to play is just a pain.

I definitely think it is too easy for saved credentials to be used to make purchases - even on Ebay there is an auto-checkout on paypal and Amazon have 1-click. Which is fine if you are responsible but not so much if your device happens to fall into less discriminating hands.

There should be more 'top up' schemes available so kids have to learn to budget - want that extra booster in candy crush or the ad-free version of Angry birds? Budget. Obvs there IS a top up scheme for Google Play but IIRC even if you top up the account you still need a card attached to it. Same as iTunes - to be able to add credit to an itunes account by redeeming gift cards, the account MUST have a bank card attached - it's wrong.

I like the Verisign stuff on Visa cards but that only works on actual websites. Things like paypal have already got past that stage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post

Obvs there IS a top up scheme for Google Play but IIRC even if you top up the account you still need a card attached to it.
    My google play account has two cards attached, one is my old card and the other is the new one, I once took off the new details as I was spending too much as its too easy to buy stuff. I could still activate the gift cards with my old card details.

So I dont think the details need to work Just be there.

Thank Post
    Sounds like Mr Bean trying to sing an anthem!
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Every time I see something like this, I sing this song in my head.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't know Mr Trololo?

Thank Post
    Not until now. I thought it was just a song Troll's made and shoved it on youtube singing Trololololololol!
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You don't know Mr Trololo?
    Plus: The songs video is a bit really if you watch his mouth and listen to the sounds it's completely off, he's just smiling, his throat isn't even moving like he's singing looks bloomin' weird if you ask me.
    Last edited by abillybob; 27th February 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Bring back the simplicity of the games, that the only thing limiting what power/enhancements/garage/team/cars/etc. you get is your ability in the game not the green stuff in your pocket.

It may be old fashioned thinking but are we fueling the development of these types of games by paying the extra money?
    Last edited by Davit2005; 27th February 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Thank Post
    This is why I've ignored the next-gen consoles so far and leaning towards giving up on them completely - the games market is getting as bad (if not worse) than the music & films industry for ripping people off. Everything on these new consoles seems to be geared towards how much customers can get fleeced for, now you don't just buy the game but get stiffed for expansion packs and power-ups that leave those who refuse to buy them with a poorer experience.

BF4 and "Premium" also really grates on me, comes to not shy of 100 to get maps and ability to connect to servers in a reasonable way, never mind the fact the game wasn't fit for purpose for nearly 6 months after release

As someone on the EA forums was saying the other day Ultimate Team is basically under-age gambling, how they're allowed to get away with it sums up what a greedy and morally questionable bunch EA are. It does make me chuckle though when my bunch of freebies outplays one chock full of blue \ black player power-up cards
    Last edited by gshaw; 27th February 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Glad she got billed for it.

If that kid doesn't have a 99% gold squad.... I'd urge him to buy more!!!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Not until now. I thought it was just a song Troll's made and shoved it on youtube singing Trololololololol!

Plus: The songs video is a bit really if you watch his mouth and listen to the sounds it's completely off, he's just smiling, his throat isn't even moving like he's singing looks bloomin' weird if you ask me.
    Eduard Khil Eduard Khil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you listen carefully, there was a snippet of the song in the Sochi Opening Ceremony.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure why no one is putting any blame on the platform and games developers. They are there to make money, that is true, but they know exactly what they are doing. They are taking advantage of what are terrible holes in the payment system; it's all but forced upon you to add a credit card to the system, and then ridiculously easy to make purchases even if you are not the card holder. Even IOS which is probably the best system has a 15 minute grace on lockout. No other payment system I have come across allows you to make repeat purchases without access to the card details.

Not only are they praying on the nieve parents but the vast majority of games now are based around extra DLC: therefore praying on the rivalry between kid (haha my team/character is better than yours). Not only that but some games such as Forza 5 are crippled unless you pay an extra 15 to unlock the cars so that you can play multiplayer (or you can finish the entire game first...). You pay 50+ for the game and then they want what is effectively a subscription to play that game you already own.

We've got to remember this is a very recent business model (it's only became big in the last 3 or 4 years) so can we honestly blame parents, who likely have never played or heard of a computer game under this model?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 27th February 2014 at 01:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Spot on @j17sparky it's a rip-off, sadly the next generation of gamers (younger teens \ early 20's) raised on the Apple business model seem to think it's perfectly reasonable and that they should pay for all this extra stuff - I've actually seen someone say this on the EA forums, quite sad really how much control the publishers are wielding these days.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I'm not sure why no one is putting any blame on the platform and games developers. They are there to make money, that is true, but they know exactly what they are doing. They are taking advantage of what are terrible holes in the payment system; it's all but forced upon you to add a credit card to the system, and then ridiculously easy to make purchases even if you are not the card holder. Even IOS which is probably the best system has a 15 minute grace on lockout. No other payment system I have come across allows you to make repeat purchases without access to the card details.

Not only are they praying on the nieve parents but the vast majority of games now are based around extra DLC: therefore praying on the rivalry between kid (haha my team/character is better than yours). Not only that but some games such as Forza 5 are crippled unless you pay an extra 15 to unlock the cars so that you can play multiplayer (or you can finish the entire game first...). You pay 50+ for the game and then they want what is effectively a subscription to play that game you already own.

We've got to remember this is a very recent business model (it's only became big in the last 3 or 4 years) so can we honestly blame parents, who likely have never played or heard of a computer game under this model?
    Yes. Yes we can. Until kids are earning themselves... have their own bank account... they can shut their mouths and accept pre-paid cards for chores. When they get their own money and own accounts... let them piddle away their own money. Thats the only way they learn. If its your own money.... its your responsibility to look after it and the account.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast