+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Elder Scrolls Online Beta in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by X-13 I was hype'd for Wildstar, until they announced it was a buy AND subscribe thing. I'm ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I was hype'd for Wildstar, until they announced it was a buy AND subscribe thing.

I'm not paying for something I can't use without handing over MORE money.
    Well, bummer. I must've missed that announcement. That makes it a little less appealing, though I did buy and play a lot of APB, which had a similar model (although that may have just been pay to get into the beta.. Not too sure)

Also, congratulations @Little-Miss

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Well, bummer. I must've missed that announcement. That makes it a little less appealing, though I did buy and play a lot of APB, which had a similar model (although that may have just been pay to get into the beta.. Not too sure)
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/th...usiness-model/

It's a "hybrid" model.

Either p2p or spend your entire time playing trying to get enough gold to buy more time from someone else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Business Model | WildStar MMORPG

It's a "hybrid" model.

Either p2p or spend your entire time playing trying to get enough gold to buy more time from someone else.
    I like the comment about Player D

I don't mind the Hybrid model. EVE did it quite well, if I recall correctly, and there will always be people with more time to play, such as those without work (not an insult, just saying that those stupid 'job' things cut into our game time ) so they will be more than able to grind for the in-game gold to trade with. On the flip side, us jobbies might sometimes need a little bit more cash and want to sell off some game time to get hold of it (for example, if we're off on holiday and still have a week left). Personally I'd probably just pay-per-month.

Either way I don't see how any prospective MMO can even begin to think about challenging Blizzard without a free trial in place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    W00t!!

Thank Post
    I have another if anyone wants it.

Thank Post
    A certain member of this forum has messaged me and kindly donated me a key, too, so I may well be joining you guys in the near future
    (I won't mention their name to spare their poor inbox, but should they wish to reveal themselves, that's on their own head :P)

Thank Post
    So what did people make of the beta and TESO in general?

I was pretty impressed with it. Only had a few quests along the lines of "kill so many of x monster and return to me". Group play is a bit iffy, some quests you can do together and others you have to do yourself, so a bit inconsistent. Quite a few bugs in the beta version, but as so many people have said on the beta forums, what we played was not any where near the final release apparently.

What impressed me most however was the fact it is perfectly playable on a 3rd gen i3 laptop with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics. I played the game a lot since Friday night and my wee laptop coped amazingly well. Ok the graphics are not impressive and immersive as a dedicated card would bring. But it is perfectly playable, very little dropped frames or lag. I was also outputting the resolution (1920x1080) to a TV and running a google hangout at the same time.

Preordered the game now, so would be interest if people want to set up an edugeek guild or such. :-)
    Last edited by arwen; 3rd March 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    So what did people make of the beta and TESO in general?

I was pretty impressed with it. Only had a few quests along the lines of "kill so many of x monster and return to me". Group play is a bit iffy, some quests you can do together and others you have to do yourself, so a bit inconsistent. Quite a few bugs in the beta version, but as so many people have said on the beta forums, what we played was not any where near the final release apparently.

What impressed me most however was the fact it is perfectly playable on a 3rd gen i3 laptop with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics. I played the game a lot since Friday night and my wee laptop coped amazingly well. Ok the graphics are not impressive and immersive as a dedicated card would bring. But it is perfectly playable, very little dropped frames or lag. I was also outputting the resolution (1920x1080) to a TV and running a google hangout at the same time.

Preordered the game now, so would be interest if people want to set up an edugeek guild or such. :-)
    Arwen and I played it for 27 hours over the weekend. A few buggy quests, but otherwise great gameplay.
    Ran great on my 6 year old gaming machine (8800GTS 512, 4gb ddr2 1066 and core 2 duo 3.2ghz).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @arwen I completed the main mission set within 12 hours, which was longer than Skyrim took me (5 hours). Lots of good side quests though some bugged out. The fixed a lot of bugs since the closed beta, which is good.

If you have a solid group, you can do some crazy stuff (we had a few groups take on molag bol as he wasn't quite so OP as he was in the closed beta). Leveling is much better, and works well in MMO format, however the stumbling block for me is the limitations on some of the skills. Archery for example, if your race isn't predefined to be good at archery, maxing out takes much much longer, and the skills aren't of equal strength as a race that has good archery to begin with. Same goes for swordsmanship, thief skills etc. Another bone of contention for me is the PPM. I would get the game if it wasn't Pay Per Month as I couldn't guarantee I would continually play.

Thank Post
    I've not played more than an hour - I escaped the tutorial and had a play around, then, when I quit, I found out my 'first impressions' recording was dreadfully out of synch and the quality was awful! I'd not configured the software properly on the laptop (I have a Hauppauge capture box I hook up to a separate laptop so my PC doesn't have to waste processing power on recording/saving the video) So I'll have to re-visit it and do an almost-first-impression review

It does feel like The Elder Scrolls, certainly. The environments are very similar and have the same atmosphere and the dialogue and combat are very much on par for what you'd expect. I'm currently unsure about how a first-person MMO is going to work out, especially once you hit PVP combat. Everybody is so used to have a mouse pointer for interacting with the world (right click to attack or move, hotkey + left click to cast.. etc)

Frowns:
    • "Everyone knows what's going on but you" - Typical, over-used trope and to be honest I'm sick to death of it. I'd rather found out by non-dialogue based narration rather than just be told what's going on. However, in the interests of the tutorial, I guess it could be worse. Still, I'd rather they re-do it.
    • I picked up a bow during the tutorial and then wasn't allowed to pick up any other weapon, which annoyed me as I was playing a assassin/rogue type character and wanted to have a bow as well as close combat weapons. This made even the tutorial slightly difficult.
    • CTRL is the default crouch/sneak button. Stop it!
    • "Too convenient" - The moment you spawn you're getting busted out, there are racks of weapons laid out in your path. Just would not happen. (Yes, I'm complaining about realism in a game that has magic and lizard people)

Smiles:
    • Feels very much like Skyrim. This is good.
    • Has multiple different skill trees per character class. Variety is the spice of life.
    • Races are faction specific. This may annoy some people but I personally like it. Will possibly make PVP/endgame much simpler (depending on if its race vs race or guild vs guild), though might annoy some people who want to play a specific race if there are restrictions. Admittedly this has the possibility of becoming a frown, depending on how it plays out.
    • Impressive physical customisation upon character creation.
    • Doesn't subscribe to the positive correlation of flesh-on-show-to-armour-ratio that most MMO's do.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 3rd March 2014 at 01:57 PM.

Thank Post
    We tended to explore as much as possible and complete as many quests in each area. Unfortunately, our first play through with Khajiits, my main quest got stuck and I could never board the boat to the main island. Got to level 6 with these before we gave up/ got bored. :-(

We then created Argonians and the quest, although still bugged at times, completed and we got the main island. Left them at level 10 last night after much exploring and killing of big Starship trooper like Arachnids
    Found that quite a few level 6-10 quests were bugged so much they could not be completed. Which was frustrating, but to be expected I suppose.
    @Garacesh My first character I got caught out with getting stuck with the bow in the tutorial. I thought the collect all would pick up all the weapons... Luckily I play with either a bow or dual daggers, so wasn't to much of an issue for me, but can see a lot of people being tricked by it. The escaping from prison is standard opening for Elder scrolls it seems, it makes kinda sense when you keep playing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    The escaping from prison is standard opening for Elder scrolls it seems, it makes kinda sense when you keep playing.
    Yeah, it's getting a bit tiresome but I can live with it. My biggest gripe was admittedly the whole "everybody knows what's going on but you" thing.
    Please, please, please just let me uncover information without being told.

If I have to be 'given' the information
    • Kill a dude, loot his corpse, he has a parchment/book/scroll/etc with information on
    • Little snippets from multiple different NPC's that complete the bigger picture when you learn more and more
    • Even changing dialogue so that the NPC's guiding you through the tutorial act a little uncertain of what they're doing

If I have to 'discover' the information
    • Let me see somebody else do it
    • Have an NPC 'nudge' me in the right direction, but not give me the answer
    • Design the area with clear objectives by clever use of light and layout

I'm just sick of having to have an NPC give me all the details, accept it, and move on just like that.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    So........

Who has pre-ordered??? I know of about 18 friends that have... anyone on here? If so... standard or deluxe?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    So........

Who has pre-ordered??? I know of about 18 friends that have... anyone on here? If so... standard or deluxe?
    Arwen and I have. Standard. Deluxe was crazy money...

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjonesybop View Post
    Arwen and I have. Standard. Deluxe was crazy money...
    20 quid more.... lol PLUS YOU GET A HORRRSSSSEEEEYYY

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast