+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Dungeon Keeper Mobile in Fun Stuff; This makes me so very sad! DK was (and still is) one of my all time favorite games! I'll be ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This makes me so very sad! DK was (and still is) one of my all time favorite games! I'll be digging out my old CDs I think and popping it on the laptop.

Thank Post
    This thread really tempts me to make a purchase from GOG
    I enjoyed Dungeon Keeper so much when I was younger. I don't think I actually ever managed to complete it, shame really. Next gaming challenge, perhaps..

Thank Post
    They don't make 'em like they used to.

"You need a bigger treasure room."

Thank Post
    "Your creatures need a bigger lair!"

Thank Post
    "You have an excess of Mistresses. There's a word for keepers like you."

The DK2 Mentor had the best lines.

Thank Post
    I don't think I ever got that one.. I didn't actually make many mistresses I don't think.
    Build lair. Build minilair. Summon Horny. Put him in the minilair with his own vault and training room. Wait. Wait. Wait. Defend. Wait. Defend. Wait. Wait. Unleash hell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bought this again on GOG last night. Cost me a shade over three quid! bargain!

Thank Post
    Reading the reviews for DK mobile in the ios app store is hilarious they have so obviously paid for reviewers to knock back at everything people are complaining about.
    They are also releasing pointless updates to try and limit the one star reviews

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not paid for, something far more sinister...

"Rate 5 stars and get free gems!"

Thank Post
    Same for Google Play, the amount of positive reviews actually had it on 4 stars last I checked, but the swathe of negative reviews were calling it out, slating EA for their constant money-grubbing and making the game virtually impossible to play without constantly using the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Not paid for, something far more sinister... "Rate 5 stars and get free gems!"
    Seriously? That's got to fall under the 'endorsed' ruling, right?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A lot of apps use it but there is a catch, they cannot see how many stars you rated an app. So the 5 stars is just a suggestion, not an enforcement, although worded in such a manner that you think they do know what rating you gave the app and that you won't get a reward if you vote less. The entire mobile "game" market has nothing at all to do with gaming and everything to do with being a crafty social engineering playground.

Why else do you get rewards in Farmville for asking friends for help? Social engineering to make you recruit more people. Or using weird virtual currencies like Gems or Doughnuts in-place of actual monetary values? To devalue the currency and allow crafty tricks like offering currency in steps of 500 / 1000 / 2000 and pricing items at strangely non-rounded prices like 550 or 1600 to force you to buy the more expensive exchange tiers. (In this example, you'd have to buy 1000 instead of just 500 for the 550 item, or 2000 instead of 1000+500 for the 1600 item).

Even titles like Loadout are crafty. They know the childish humour of the game will appeal to the audience, hence pricing ~£35 which is well over the cost of normal "skins" to allow the player to take off their pants... (yes, actual example! Pardon the pun too...)

Do a bit of research into the social engineering that takes place in the F2P market and you'd see what really goes on to dupe you into their back pockets and stop playing such titles rather quickly.

Thank Post
    Oh, I know plenty about the social engineering of it and I think it's absolutely abhorrent - especially when used in games aimed at the young such as the My Little Pony game which received a tonne of controversy.

There's only one game I've made in-app purchases for, and that's Sonic Dash. Why? Because I needed to buy things to progress?
    Nah, I enjoyed the game and didn't mind paying to around £2 remove the ads and actually give something back to the developers that made the game I've spent a little too much time on.
    Gotten up to world 4 in PvZ2 without spending a penny and I'm going to complete the game (when I get round to it..) in just the same manner.

I tell a lie. I also purchased the full version of Plague Inc. and its add-on disease types. But that's paying for content, and I don't mind that because I don't feel the game was released with content cut to make you sponge on DLC (like common AAA titles these days that you don't even get for free!)
    Last edited by Garacesh; 6th February 2014 at 02:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I tell a lie. I also purchased the full version of Plague Inc. and its add-on disease types. But that's paying for content, and I don't mind that because I don't feel the game was released with content cut to make you sponge on DLC (like common AAA titles these days that you don't even get for free!)
    Good point here. The DLC for Plague Inc is well worth the extra dollar! But then that's an example of well a game can be marketed for mobiles.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    That is shocking! Really really shocking!
    Loved DK on the PC and this has now made me want to head over to GOG and get it!

NerdCubed is spot on with the insanity of the new game! Will be steering the heck away from that one!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast