+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Gaming Thread, Beginning of the end? in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by sonofsanta Last time a company released a new console early, killing off their old hardware sooner than ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Last time a company released a new console early, killing off their old hardware sooner than anticipated, it was Sega with the Dreamcast. I would like to think Nintendo have learnt that lesson.
    The problem is the console is just not selling, even with crazy price cuts. You can't flog a dead horse forever, sooner or later you'v got to accept it's better off inside a McDonalds burger than racing at Ascot.

Nintendo ace up their sleeve, and answer to that particular problem, is their backwards compatibility. The core hardware for Wii and Wii-U is fully backwards compatable with the GameCube. And they don't have any problems emulating older platforms.

Next Christams might be too soon in R&D terms, but by the end of 2015 they really need to have come up with something new, in fact Christams 2015 could be too late, limping on for another 2 years...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The problem is the console is just not selling, even with crazy price cuts. You can't flog a dead horse forever, sooner or later you'v got to accept it's better off inside a McDonalds burger than racing at Ascot.

Nintendo ace up their sleeve, and answer to that particular problem, is their backwards compatibility. The core hardware for Wii and Wii-U is fully backwards compatable with the GameCube. And they don't have any problems emulating older platforms.

Next Christams might be too soon in R&D terms, but by the end of 2015 they really need to have come up with something new, in fact Christams 2015 could be too late, limping on for another 2 years...

Couple this with the success of the PS4 and Xbox One and their intended long product life-spans and Nintendo run the risk of not having any market to sell to; and the longer they leave it the worse it will become.
    Nintendo will be making some challenging decisions at the moment.
    As regards the leaked spec. Next gen with 'b' wireless. Really?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 27th January 2014 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm going to rant because I used to love Nintendo as a kid but they've really pissed me off over the years. Here's why...

* Lack of any sort of online account or profile. While MS and Sony have been perfecting the XBL and PSN networks Nintendo have been fannying around with friend codes and not providing any sort of real account. This annoys me because it means no friend list and no way to redownload games on other consoles if you lose one. If I spend 100 quid over the year for downloaded games for my Wii or 3DS and then I lose the device then there's no way to recover those games and download them on my replacement console. This happened to me when I lost my 3DS a few years back and I must have lost about 120 quid work of downloaded games. Also their online store is so clunky and slow to use it really puts me off.

* Crap controller and stupid gimmicks. Personally felt like they sold their soul with the original Wii and alienated a lot of their fan base by making it too kid friendly and adding the gimmicky controller. They made a quick buck by targeting the casual market like old grannies and mums but at the expense of pushing the long term fans away I felt. Same with the 3DS which just gave me headaches when playing them. So many games I liked the look of but I just found the controls awkward and difficult to use.

* Their advertising is shocking as well. I didn't even know the Wii U was a new console until a few months ago. I always thought it was just a new controller for the Wii with a screen built in. Also I assumed the 3DS was just an upgrade to the DS and not a brand new console in itself.
    Last edited by Sam_Brown; 27th January 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    BBC News - Nintendo executives take pay cuts after profits tumble

Fair play to them for making immediate, difficult sacrifices for the good of the company I say.

Will be interesting to see what tomorrow's announcement brings...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    BBC News - Nintendo executives take pay cuts after profits tumble

Fair play to them for making immediate, difficult sacrifices for the good of the company I say.

Will be interesting to see what tomorrow's announcement brings...
    I don't think they will be licensing their IP just yet, but if they don't have anything to pull out of the bag soon it will be their fall-back position.
    The problem with rushing a new console through as well is that games companies need quite a bit of time to write games that will be ready for it's launch. I can see Nintendo being reduced to a very small market share by the time it does that. And who's going to make games for a console with only a 20% market share or less?
    Unnerving news about the 3DS as well. Seems that phones are really taking a bite out of that revenue stream at a higher level than was previously thought.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Nintendo's strategy to save its gaming kingdom: DS virtual console on Wii U, GamePad focus, on-demand services Engadget

Nintendo kicked off a business strategy briefing today in Tokyo, but it won't involve playing Nintendo titles elsewhere. The CEO announced at the start of the presentation that he wasn't pessimistic about the future of the company, reiterating that Nintendo would not be giving up the hardware side of the business. So what's stopped the Wii U from succeeding so far?

The Nintendo boss admits that recognition of exactly what the GamePad does is low, and that many people view it as an accessory for the console -- it's not, by the way. Most interestingly, however, was the mention of an on-demand gaming service across games consoles, with the service based on your Nintendo ID rather than a device you owned. Bigger news still, is that you will see Nintendo DS games appear on the Wii U, via virtual console. Iwata added that the team will seek a partner to increase exposure for games and hardware. It will even, gasp, license character rights to other companies. He added in today's Q&A session that the company is already sharing its philosophy with another company and "aligning" with them. (Pretty mysterious, huh?)

When it comes to gaming on the Wii U, the CEO said they will focus on games that make the most the tablet-esque GamePad, especially titles with NFC -- expect to see announcements on this at E3 2014. Mario Kart 8 will also launch in May, and will apparently make strong use of the GamePad. At the same time, Nintendo is working on ensuring a faster start time when its used without a TV.

He said that Nintendo needed to identify new markets and opportunities. According to David Gibson, senior research analyst at Macquarie Securities in Tokyo, Iwata added that it "doesn't make sense for Nintendo to do business on smartphones." More nebulously, the company will, however, "actively" use smart devices to connect with customers, making the approach sound more like an app than playable game demo. He added that simple advertising wasn't enough, and that the company needed any smartphone presence to be fun and engaging.

Finally, the Nintendo CEO said he wanted to find Nintendo's next "blue ocean", and thinks that it could be health. He reckons entertainment is tied to quality of life (Vitality Sensor anyone?) -- the games maker will continue developing its health and fitness software, but without getting into the current scrum of wearables. Iwata said that he's never considered quitting, though he has taken a pay cut: "My conviction and passion have not been shaken."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    So they're looking to get in to health now using "non-wearable" tech, they're not going to release games on smartphones but plan to interact with customers via smartphones, they're still dedicated to consoles and they are already in the process of licensing their characters to third parties.

Are they trying to make Dr. Mario a reality?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is rumoured that the upcoming Donkey Kong game won't make use of the gamepad either. As for their press release it makes no sense and was full of corporate garbage. Throwing words like "we want to create a blue ocean" well I'll move to the coast if I want that...

Non-wearable health, what is that? I can only assume it involves the 3DS and Streetpass somehow. As a Wii-U owner I am confused and worried by this announcement. :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's quite an interesting article here on The Register: Wii got it WRONG: How do you solve a problem like Nintendo?

Essentially the writers says that the problem Nintendo has is that the Wii was such a huge success, but not because of the gamers, or even games. It was brought by many who wanted it as a living room gimmick for Wii Sports and other such titles, and these people had no intention of upgrading when a new model came along.
    Nintendo however thought that the success of the Wii was down to many of the design and usability factors and based the Wii U on it. Unfortunately they didn't look at what made the competition such a success and what they had planned next.
    The comments section is a good read too.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nintendo! Stop! STOP!

Super Smash Bros. 3DS launches this summer, Wii U version due in winter

You may have seen a somewhat angry rant about this on my Twitter feed. Simply put, Smash bros is a heavily anticipated game and tipped as one of the potential golden saviour titles. It's one of the games I am keeping my Wii U around for.

So not only are they releasing 3DS version in summer and WiiU version in winter, the 3DS version also has a game mode the WiiU doesn't have. Based on current marketing, the WiiU which needs sales from this title is going to be the inferior version aside from higher resolution graphics. Also, this is the very tactic that fans were complaining at third parties like EA and Ubisoft about with their cross platform releases, leaving WiiU in the cold late if developed at all.

Are they trying to kill the console themselves!??!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been looking for a 3DS for our youngest - I know, I know, I've tried to convince him that as his sister already has one (in pink!) that a tablet would be better he wants to play Mario games on his own one,
    So, it turns out there are quite a few very cheap places to get them from on the net such as the Tesco Outlet which is good, becuase the prices of a 3DS, and not even a 3DS XL is, to be frank, stupidly high.
    There are such price variations it beggers belief with differances of 80 between stores!
    Now, you and I would have thought that Nintendo would be doign anything it can to shift boxes, any boxes, to keep up sales and profits, but from what I have read in several articles whilst sales in the west and other regions are down, Nintendos home market of Japan is still a gold mine for them with the DS range sellign very well indeed and new game titles selling in their millions. It seems smart phone gaming hasn't quite caught on in quite teh same way there as it has over here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345