Wii-U Premium Bundle has dropped to Ł180 at Argos.
The problem with releasing a new console (in hindsight, I know I was calling for a new handheld only last week!) is that it takes significant R&D costs to develop not to mention logistics. Releasing their games on alternative digital platforms would cost relatively little in comparison and would generate a hell of a lot more profit per sale. It's also much lower risk; if you already own the console/platform the game is released on then you're more likely to buy the game than if it requires you purchasing yet another console.
Wii-U Premium Bundle has dropped to Ł180 at Argos.
Real or fake?
Specs leak for ‘Nintendo Fusion’, Nintendo’s supposed next-gen hardware « VR-Zone
Rumor has it that Nintendo aims to re-vitalize its stake in the next-gen market with Nintendo Fusion–a new hardware solution complete with a handheld and a console unit–as specs and purported details have been leaked by an “insider”.Fusion Terminal (Console)
- GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)
- CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)
- Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER
- Memory: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAMED KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL
- 802.11 b/g/n Wireless
- Bluetooth v4.0 BLE
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 1 x Coaxial Cable Input
- 1 x CableCARD Slot
- 4 x Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads
- Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot
- 1 x HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port
- Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound
- Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers
- Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash StorageFusion DS (Handheld)
- CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU
- COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)
- 2 x 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen
- Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge
- Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover
- Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts
- 2 x Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback
- Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback
- 2 x 1mp Stereoptic Cameras
- Multi-Array Microphone
- A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons
- 3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer
- NFC Reader
- 3G Chip with GPS Location
- Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets
- 16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigabytes)
- Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot
- SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit
- Mini USB I/O
- 3300 mAh Li-Ion battery
I wouldn't trust much news right now surrounding the Wii U. The media are slinging all manner of speculation around right now, though it isn't out of the ordinary for a new console to be on the drawing board at around this time. It's only made bad by the media seeking quick click counts, in fact the Wii U has been shining a spotlight on some of the dodgier aspects of media press and publisher PR in the digital age.
Talking of which...
Peter Moore: Nintendo's a great partner | Wii U
- IBM PPC750 Co-processor. Why? Not just for BC surely. That can be achieved through basic emulation on a Power8 chip - same core instruction set, mostly timing issues.
- Co-Axel input? Cable Card slot? in a console? For sale in more than one region? With cable company backing? I think not.
- "Holographic Versitle Disc" - maybe one day, but whats wrong with 300Gb BluRay? It's be cheaper for a start. Or typical Nintendo 8cm mini discs rather than regular 12cm discs.
- 4Gb unified ram plus another 2gb - for what? If the main storage pool contains both graphics and sytem ram, what needs to use a seperate 2gb reserve?
- 300gb flas storage? What time scales are being suggested that this size flash storage and holographic discs could possible come in at a competitevely affordable price?
- And given the "fusion" concept, a arm processor for DS compatibility would seem more likely
No, I'm calling total BS on this one
Last edited by tmcd35; 27th January 2014 at 10:14 AM.
To be fair, I had heard rumblings of a "fusion" device somwhere else and it kinda makes sense. Not sure if a whole new DS or a minor update, if anything, would be required. But bringing the two lines closer together, like Vita and PS4 - only better, makes perfect sense for Ninty.
I just read down the Fusion DS specs and they're even more laughable. Reads like a b******d love child of a PS Vita with a SteamOS controller, ouch!
Last time a company released a new console early, killing off their old hardware sooner than anticipated, it was Sega with the Dreamcast. I would like to think Nintendo have learnt that lesson.
For better or for worse, Nintendo have to stick it out with the Wii U and improve the situation they're in. Any new console this soon would be suicide, both for this generation and for the next (who would commit to a console that will have the rug pulled from under it if it performs poorly?)
Agreed. If the Wii U was pulled barely a year past it's release I'd be unlikely to go near the next console and instead jump ship to the PS4. What they need to do is a tie in With Pokémon X and Y...Pokémon U anyone? You won't see me on Steam for a while...
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)