+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Beginning of the end? in Fun Stuff; I have played ni nu kuni. I liked it. But am a pokemon man at heart....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have played ni nu kuni. I liked it. But am a pokemon man at heart.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Steam has an enormous user base already
    I beg to differ, regardless to how Gabe wants to spin it. Windows has an enormous user base already, a very large number of whom happen to use Steam amongst other content providers.

Ignoring SteamOS which isn't really out yet so can't really have an installed user base, what is the current numbers for unique Steam installation on Linux systems?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Steam succeed. I've just no faith in Valve's business model for the project.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I beg to differ, regardless to how Gabe wants to spin it. Windows has an enormous user base already, a very large number of whom happen to use Steam amongst other content providers.

Ignoring SteamOS which isn't really out yet so can't really have an installed user base, what is the current numbers for unique Steam installation on Linux systems?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Steam succeed. I've just no faith in Valve's business model for the project.
    I think we're actually agreeing with each other in a roundabout way

I can't get actual figures at work, but there is a stats page on Steam that will show how many current Linux users there are with Steam installed (not sure how accurate it is, but probably the most accurate we'll get).

My point was though that Steam has a huge user base (not SteamOS or Steam for Linux, just Steam in general). The problem is, like you said, Linux/SteamOS. It's just too lacking in terms of games right now, that's why I'm saying it needs at least one big name to make the leap and start releasing all their titles on Linux as well as Windows.

Again, I agree with you, I don't think Valve are doing enough to make this a success and they're actually being quite hypocritical (SteamOS is meant to be two fingers up to closed platforms but is in itself an almost closed platform...) but then again, somebody needs to take the first step and I don't think anyone is in a better position than Valve to do so...

EDIT: should have said, SteamOS in it's current form appears to be quite closed, whether or not they'll open it up on release for other distributors is anyone's guess, though I suspect not...

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nintendo are considering the mobile market as part of a recognised need to change. Their current business model just doesn't work. Nintendo unsure about console business, considering mobile development - VideoGamer.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nintendo aren't in the same kind of trouble Sega got into...yet.
    They still have the cash-cow which is the 3DS and plenty of good IP and cash reserves. However they do run the risk of becoming alienated in the console market if their next device fails to gain interest from gamers. Mix this in with the long life of new generation consoles (no more 4 years between new console launches) and the run the risk of having their potential customer base simply drift over to the opposition. In Japan this isn't too big a problem as traditionally only Nintendo and Sony (and formerly Sega) were the major market players there, but globally it is of great concern to them.
    Another point to consider is that Nintendo have not traditionally played themselves to the adult gaming market and many of their former market now want something 'for all the family'. Mix this with the major outlay and investment that a new system has and many will be a one console household. Add to this the modern consumer demands from a games console (social media integration, DLNA etc.) and they have dropped the ball big time with the Wii U.
    Their next console will be make or break for them TBH. There's no point in still having lots of money of no one is buying your products and no developer is going to make games for a console with a minimal user base.

Thank Post
    The news of their loss in operating profit has already had quite a hit on their share price:

BBC News - Nintendo shares plunge 18% on loss warning

18% drop over the weekend!

Business analysts seem to agree with the general consensus here - they need to start licensing their IP to be played on other devices.

Now, where do we go to start the Smash Bros Steam campaign?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Business analysts seem to agree with the general consensus here - they need to start licensing their IP to be played on other devices.
    Is interesting, but as I said above, I don't really agree. They have the cash reserves for another roll of the console dice and to make a couple of stratigic buy-outs. What they really need is a more diverse range of new exclusive IP on a relavent gaming platform (not the Wii-U then). As I said above, letting Microsoft get hold of RARE was by far their biggest mistake (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong, etc).

Thank Post
    Is interesting, but as I said above, I don't really agree. They have the cash reserves for another roll of the console dice and to make a couple of stratigic buy-outs. What they really need is a more diverse range of new exclusive IP on a relavent gaming platform (not the Wii-U then). As I said above, letting Microsoft get hold of RARE was by far their biggest mistake (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong, etc).
    I don't think it's the same as Rare though - that was painful for thm because they lost a lot of big exclusives. What they could do though is actually make some of their back catalogue available on other platforms. Yes, it means giving a cut to MS/Sony/Valve/Google/Apple/etc. but it also opens up a huge market for them to make some serious cash.

Cash reserves or not, if their stock holders feel that Nintendo aren't doing enough to increase their profits then they could get the rug pulled from under them pretty quickly...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's the same as Rare though - that was painful for thm because they lost a lot of big exclusives.
    That's the point though IMHO. If they make their existing IP, classic games, available on mobile platforms then they seriously devalue their hardware brand. Why buy Nintendo if you can play Mario on the iPhone?

Some clever purchases could give them a broader range of exclusive IP that attracts punters to the Nintendo hardware. For me part of the problem with the Wii-U is "another Mario", "another Zeda", etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FYI, compared to the 2007 peak, nintendo shares are down 83% overall.

Thank Post
    That's the point though IMHO. If they make their existing IP, classic games, available on mobile platforms then they seriously devalue their hardware brand. Why buy Nintendo if you can play Mario on the iPhone?

Some clever purchases could give them a broader range of exclusive IP that attracts punters to the Nintendo hardware. For me part of the problem with the Wii-U is "another Mario", "another Zeda", etc.
    Read your post back and you describe the problem yourself - another Mario, another Zelda... they're no longer enough to sell consoles on the back of. There are so many great games now on so many platforms that only your die-hard Nintendo fans will bother with their consoles to play those games. It's not enough! Selling the older titles on mobile/alternative platforms would bring them a lot of revenue I reckon, there are tons of people who'd love to play through some of those games again but aren't going to buy a WiiU or a 3DS for the privilege.

That's not to say they couldn't continue to have exclusives, I'm not saying that from now on all their games must be released on all platforms, just that (as you said last week) they'd do well to monetize their back catalogue more effectively and to a wider market.

Of course, this all just opinion and speculation...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the point Rare were let go, they had been declining for a little while - and what have they made since that was particularly memorable? Kinect Sports? Viva Pinata?

The sentiment of "Nintendo can't do it all themselves" is probably right though. They need some new IP to get people excited. Each new Mario game is an incredible achievement of design and gameplay, but I think general opinion tends to be "oh it's just another Mario game, I've played them before, I'm not missing out if I skip this one" no matter how different each one might be.

Get some new studios bought, or carved off from EAD and left to their own devices, and let them come up with all the mad ideas they can. Nintendo need their own indie studios, I think, throw ideas out fast and see what sticks. I know I'm exhausted by just seeing Mario & Zelda over and over again, and I say that as someone who adores those games.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Re-release the N64 as a handheld device, with the ability to accept the N64 cartridges, and gameboy, GBA, etc cartridges also (maybe an adapter?) That would be a winner, because of the fact golden eye, star fox etc, were epic on there!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Each new Mario game is an incredible achievement of design and gameplay
    Which they still design like it's in 2D, being played with a controller that only has 2 buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Re-release the N64 as a handheld device

Already done.

I want one...
    Last edited by X-13; 20th January 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know its been done, but they should mass market it and release it themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast