+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Beginning of the end? in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by nephilim What they need to do to revive things...Make a pokemon game with the creatures from all ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    What they need to do to revive things...Make a pokemon game with the creatures from all areas, the fighting style of final fantasy, with an open world map like elder scrolls, introduce online battles and bam, they are onto a money maker!
    I don't think the Wii U could handle an open world like that - too big possibly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    wouldn't need to be Wii U or Wii. Nintendo could release it for other consoles (like Sega did with their games) XB1, PS4, PC, Steambox etc. I personally believe sales would be through the roof for that game.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the fighting style of final fantasy
    Which one?

Turn based, active time battle, conditional turn based or active dimension battle?

Nintendo could release it for other consoles (like Sega did with their games) XB1, PS4, PC, Steambox etc.
    Yeah... I'd prefer to have more than 2 options for consoles.
    Last edited by X-13; 17th January 2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say conditional turn based.

Thank Post
    It does seem that with the great hardware that the 3DS and Wii U are, they could be both be saved (and bring in the money) if Nintendo actually released some games for them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Yeah... I'd prefer to have more than 2 options for consoles.
    Why? I'd personally like for consoles to become a thing of the past and for everyone to work on distribution platforms on open hardware (similar to how PC gaming works). Would mean that gaming isn't held back by the weakest common denominator, games should cost less (less waste due to publishing various versions of the same game, plus the cost of porting to each platform), indie devs would have a more level playing field effectively putting paid to the AAA studios churning out franchise after franchise (they'd still do it, but they'd have to at least try to be more innovative when people have the choice to play a wider variety of titles).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    It does seem that with the great hardware that the 3DS and Wii U are, they could be both be saved (and bring in the money) if Nintendo actually released some games for them.
    Nintendo's great downfall IMHO, was letting Microsoft get their hands on RARE, followed by letting Square Enix suck up to Sony. Looking on Wikipedia (fountain of all knowledge) this profit warning is a blip and they do have a fair bit of cash to throw in the right direction. They're a company in need of new IP. A few stratigic purchases I think are in order. A couple of promising up coming indie developers and maybe an old hat IP rich concern like Capcom. Update the Wii-U's GPU and Ram and they are good to go.

I often wondered what a Nintendo-Sega tie up might look like? Not sure if it'd be a good match but immagine the leveraging power on that combined back catalogue!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So basically a PC? You can hook controllers up to it and play anything (legitimately or not).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    So basically a PC? You can hook controllers up to it and play anything (legitimately or not).
    Guessing that was a reply to me? Yes, basically a PC but with the difference being that more people go Valve's route of making living room friendly PCs for the non-techs, but nobody has a monopoly on any platform; everyone just focuses on developing games. Yes you would get more services like Origin, Steam etc. popping up but the underlying hardware would be the same. Upgrades would be cheaper and only as frequent as you want (even a Ł50 GPU can play the latest games, albeit on low settings, the point being you don't have to upgrade to play) and the fact that devs wouldn't be tied in to proprietary SDKs and platforms should open the market up to being more interesting and ultimately make it more competitive.

Of course this would work best on a Linux platform (not necessarily SteamOS) otherwise you're back to Microsoft taking a cut of all the hardware sales. I think SteamOS is a good step in this direction, however I do feel it's premature; Valve and indie titles alone are not going to change the market so drastically. This is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a AAA studio to make a leap of faith sometime in the next 6 months...

As for piracy - that's an entirely different issue that's in no way exclusive to PC and will continue to be a problem, well, forever. Some people pirate because they can't afford to buy new games, some because they won't pay and others because they like the challenge. I honestly believe cutting costs will reduce piracy on all media massively. But, that's another topic...
    Last edited by LosOjos; 17th January 2014 at 03:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What they need to do to revive things...Make a pokemon game with the creatures from all areas, the fighting style of final fantasy, with an open world map like elder scrolls, introduce online battles and bam, they are onto a money maker!
    Have you tried Ni Nu Kuni? Highly recommend it as it basically is Pokémon with a better battle system!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a AAA studio to make a leap of faith sometime in the next 6 months...
    If they didn't do it for Nintendo, they won't do it for Valve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If they didn't do it for Nintendo, they won't do it for Valve.
    Not necessarily - Nintendo are notoriously difficult to please, Valve seem to be happy for publishers to do their own thing; there's no reason to believe your statement is true IMO...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Not necessarily - Nintendo are notoriously difficult to please, Valve seem to be happy for publishers to do their own thing; there's no reason to believe your statement is true IMO...
    I took @X-13's statement to be less an inditment of Nintendo and more a statement on the Wii-U's user base. In that case, I can't see many AAA's being to over whelmed by SteamOS at this point either unfortunately.

If the Wii-U had a solid enough user base I can't see meny AAA's not finding a way to work with them, not as if the Wii was lacking for software (features, graphics, dlc - yes - but the games where there while it lasted).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    Have you tried Ni Nu Kuni? Highly recommend it as it basically is Pokémon with a better battle system!
    And only Ł6.59 from the PSN store right now: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...KDLFULLGAMEPTA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I took @X-13's statement to be less an inditment of Nintendo and more a statement on the Wii-U's user base. In that case, I can't see many AAA's being to over whelmed by SteamOS at this point either unfortunately.

If the Wii-U had a solid enough user base I can't see meny AAA's not finding a way to work with them, not as if the Wii was lacking for software (features, graphics, dlc - yes - but the games where there while it lasted).
    True, but the Wii and the Wii U were very different consoles. The Wii was a stroke of genius from Nintendo, drawing people in with it's simplicity and (at the time) innovative control system. The Wii U felt to me at least as an attempt to push the Wii at the more hard core gamers, which failed massively because it simply doesn't have the games to do that and it was released at a time when those very gamers were waiting for next gen consoles to be released.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting SteamOS to take off (much as I'd love it to) but what I'm saying is that you have to look at it differently to a console launch. If SteamOS takes off, then it'll be a huge step towards the open hardware platform I'm talking of. Steam has an enormous user base already, but there just aren't enough games for Linux yet and the biggest titles available are either Valve's own (which are all getting on a bit now) or indie titles which, great as some of them are, aren't going to convince your hardened console gamers to make the leap. If just one AAA publisher takes a leap of faith though, it could seriously change the future of gaming, and all on a device (a PC!) that is already capable of delivering the entire home entertainment package that Microsoft and Sony are so desperate to make their consoles.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast