+ Post New Thread
Gaming Thread, CES 2014: Razer's "Project Christine" Gaming PC Concept [Modular Computer] in Fun Stuff; ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries

CES 2014: Razer's "Project Christine" Gaming PC Concept [Modular Computer]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I wish he talked more about how it works i.e. are the traditional mobo components built in to the tower or is that one of the modules? As to the proprietary connection, I wonder if there's a custom PCB inside the module or simply a mounted PCI-e card with PCI-e to proprietary adapter inside (a la external HDD caddys)

It's a very interesting idea though and I think something like this pre-loaded with SteamOS (if Valve can get that to take off) could seriously open up PC gaming to the console crowd... in fact, it's a very similar idea to what a few of us were talking about when Valve first announced SteamOS early last year.

Thank Post
    Interesting idea, and it looks slick!

Seems like it's a product designed to address a problem that doesn't really exist. I've never thought to myself - damn man I really wish I had modular RAM so I could quickly and easily slot 16GB in instead of 8GB.

Also looks very expensive and with proprietary modules, not sure that's a good thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Interesting idea, and it looks slick!

Seems like it's a product designed to address a problem that doesn't really exist. I've never thought to myself - damn man I really wish I had modular RAM so I could quickly and easily slot 16GB in instead of 8GB.

Also looks very expensive and with proprietary modules, not sure that's a good thing.
    That's because you know how to change RAM, which RAM to buy, whether it's compatible etc.

The way I see it, the point of a machine like this is for people who don't have the technical knowledge to build a highly customised gaming PC but want to get in to PC gaming - this way, they just buy a new module, slot it in and hey presto, they've upgraded their gaming rig. That's why I say, this couple with SteamOS (again, big if SteamOS takes off here) could be serious competition for the console market

Thank Post
    Maybe! Not sure it will, well not at £2k anyway.

Now if they could redirect the project into the server and networking space, I would be interested. I'd love my server room to be full of those!! Hmm just gonna slot in a couple more CPUs

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    I'm waiting on the spec sheet for it.

Can't wait to see what i can buy pre and post-built. I7? 16 - 32gb 2011mhz ram? 2x 250gb Samsung evo ssd? 2x gtx 690?! 1000w psu?! WATERCOOLED LIKE A BOSS?!

Oh god.... my pants.....

Thank Post
    Looks really cool and I like the idea of it but I'm not convinced there's a market for it. Enthusiasts will still carry on building their own PCs (and will likely object to paying the premium that Razer will doubtless add to their custom components) and the more casual crowd will carry on buying consoles, tablets and laptops.

Also I'm not convinced how upgradeable it'll really be in the long term as surely there are limitations when it comes to things like motherboard and CPU upgrades?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Now if they could redirect the project into the server and networking space, I would be interested.
    Intel is already working on something similar.

Fujitsu and Intel announced a significant step Tuesday toward replacing computers' electrical wiring with fiber-optic links: a version of the PCI Express data pathway that uses silicon photonics.

The two companies demonstrated Optical PCI Express (OPCIe) to split a single server into separate modules linked by a fiber-optic connection. The approach lets the machine's central Xeon processors be separated from its storage drives and its Xeon Phi co-processors to avoid overheating problems.

The demonstration used Intel silicon photonics modules to send and receive the light signals, said Intel silicon photonics marketing director Victor Krutul in a blog post. In addition, a customizable Intel chip called an FPGA (field-programmable gate array) was used to massage the PCI signals so they were suited to fiber-optic transmission. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread