+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Gaming Thread, XBox One Euro HDMI Problem in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by X-13 I wish they had left Xbox alone... The blade interface was fine, NXE was good [That's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I wish they had left Xbox alone... The blade interface was fine, NXE was good [That's the one I started with], the Win8 inspired one is full of ads.
    Ads... they all have ad's now.

Being hard coded to require an internet connection every 24 hours and [all but] bricking disks* isn't something they can just remove quickly.

*"bricking" used as there was talk of resales being blocked.
    I doubt anything physically happened to the disk, more just like how PC works currently (and how steam did originally, no offline mode) where your account gets a license allocated.
    That system works right now on xbox one via downloaded games/codes so having a code in the cd box would be easy. Then you would never need a cd again to play.
    24h was a bit intense, I thought every week would be fine.

They pulled the trading system because it needed the DRM. [apparently]

I, and many others, don't appreciate companies telling being told how we can sell our belongings and who we can sell them to.
    The trading system could have allowed you to loan a game to your friend digitally too and revoke later (which explains the daily checks) as well as trading at Game/Gamestation apps in the xbox to buy new digital license etc.
    Really I thought it could have been amazing and tbh I expect both MS and Sony to try to do this again with this gen of hardware.
    It was the worst sales pitch in history though...
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th November 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    at least they were about hardware and I was answering others. You didnt read the announcement, you just posted as an attempt at flame bait like a troll.
    You seem to be confused 50/60hz is a software issue, not hardware, totally different from the xbox one disk issue.

I did read the announcement, but lets just descend into calling each other trolls.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You seem to be confused 50/60hz is a software issue, not hardware, totally different from the xbox one disk issue.

I did read the announcement, but lets just descend into calling each other trolls.
    There had been reports it was hardware based and it still has more relevancy then xbox live offline.
    I presume you think your statement accurately described the state of xbox live and was not over broad? Its like posting the PSN is offline because BF4 is having issues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ads... they all have ad's now. My PS3 moans at me to buy games and movies every time I turn it on.
    TBF, I don't have a PS3. So, I don't know how it has changed. It's annoying when you're having to pay for a service, and STILL get ads... WITH SOUND!

I doubt anything physically happened to the disk, more just like how PC works currently (and how steam did originally, no offline mode) where your account gets a license allocated.
    That system works right now on xbox one via downloaded games/codes so having a code in the cd box would be easy. Then you would never need a cd again to play.
    24 was a bit intense, I thought every week would be fine.
    It was the DISK that was tied to the account. That way, you can't pass the disk around and play it.

Even with the [bovine excrement] DRM on PC the disks are fine.

Even a week is too much. If my internet gets cut off [for whatever reason] I'd rather not have a £400+ games console stop being able to play single player games offline.

It was the worst sales pitch in history though...
    Agreed. But, even if they made it sound better, once the reality of the restrictions became apparent, people would still be as angry.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TBF, I don't have a PS3. So, I don't know how it has changed. It's annoying when you're having to pay for a service, and STILL get ads... WITH SOUND!
    The sound only activates when you select the ad or at least all the ones I have seen which is something but yeah I know what you mean. It depends on what the ad shows, game ad's/movie trailers dont bother me that much but asda.... (not seen asda yet)

It was the DISK that was tied to the account. That way, you can't pass the disk around and play it.

Even with the [bovine excrement] DRM on PC the disks are fine.

Even a week is too much. If my internet gets cut off [for whatever reason] I'd rather not have a £400+ games console stop being able to play single player games offline.

Agreed. But, even if they made it sound better, once the reality of the restrictions became apparent, people would still be as angry.
    Where did you read that? There is no need to link the disk if you do online license checks, its completely illogical as well as having a major issue printing discs on mass. I really think you have that wrong tbh, if the disk installs like all the new consoles doing a license check/ask for QR on first run is pretty easy where as mass printing unique discs, hard and costly or they just print a key like Ubisoft do for their games (on all consoles I think)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The reason MS' original plan failed is they tried to copy the PC culture of games sales. Once again they showed the same disregard that we see every time someone dumps a rubbish console port on the PC platform, they are two completely different cultures and worlds when it comes to gaming, we have been used to decades of restrictions that led the digital distribution revolution in the gaming world on PC (which with the rise of indie have been reversing and DRM free is a sales pitch now!) but console is still the domain of local co-op and disk lending. That is why MS made a grave error and received backlash.

Also, if you don't want to release a title on Steam you don't have to. Sell it on another distributor. Consoles are a central distributor and that leads to fears of price fixing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The reason MS' original plan failed is they tried to copy the PC culture of games sales. Once again they showed the same disregard that we see every time someone dumps a rubbish console port on the PC platform, they are two completely different cultures and worlds when it comes to gaming, we have been used to decades of restrictions that led the digital distribution revolution in the gaming world on PC (which with the rise of indie have been reversing and DRM free is a sales pitch now!) but console is still the domain of local co-op and disk lending. That is why MS made a grave error and received backlash.

Also, if you don't want to release a title on Steam you don't have to. Sell it on another distributor. Consoles are a central distributor and that leads to fears of price fixing.
    Steam = DRM, all steam = DRM. As PC gamers we are not ahead of consoles, we have had less rights with our games for YEARS longer then consoles, we are just used to it. MS tried to apply PC limitations to consoles but with added benefits like game sharing and trading but they really borked the sales pitch which explains why so many are confused about exactly what they were going to do.
    Yes some are now going DRM free but most dont.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where did you read that? There is no need to link the disk if you do online license checks, its completely illogical as well as having a major issue printing discs on mass. I really think you have that wrong tbh, if the disk installs like all the new consoles doing a license check/ask for QR on first run is pretty easy where as mass printing unique discs, hard and costly or they just print a key like Ubisoft do for their games (on all consoles I think)
    Today [for fact checking] on Kotaku.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
    Before, I can't remember and everything is getting filtered here.

Steam = DRM, all steam = DRM.
    Steamworks = DRM
    Steam = a shop.
    Last edited by X-13; 26th November 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Thank Post
    OXM have a better set of instructions for the fix

Whilst we're waiting on official clarification, some clever clogs has come up with a workable solution that, whilst not ideal if you want to get the most out of your console set-up, will help the shuddering some. It works by tricking your console into thinking that your TV can't display 60Hz. Here's what you do:

- In the console's Display settings make your Xbox auto detect your HDMI
    - From 1080p mode, change the resolution to 720p. When asked if the screen is displaying correctly, select 'No'
    - Due to your response, the console will switch back to 1080p but in 50hz mode
    News: Xbox One having problems with TV display on UK consoles - report - Total Xbox.com

Thank Post
    There had been reports it was hardware based and it still has more relevancy then xbox live offline.
    I presume you think your statement accurately described the state of xbox live and was not over broad?
    You might be reading the wrong reports, 50/60hz is software. Which means it can be fixed at a later date. There's a way to trick the xboxone here into 50hz mode for ALL content: Xbox One Can Be Forced To Output 50Hz To Fix UK TV Judder

Other people were lumping in other faults, no more relevant. Check out the xbox live status page, its says: purchasing, content usage and gaming is unavailable. It's words not mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Today [for fact checking] on Kotaku.

Before, I can't remember and everything is getting filtered here.

Steamworks = DRM
    Steam = a shop.
    That article quotes wired who assumed how it would work.
    What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.
    Thats not actually MS and I am REALLY surprised they thought that's how it would work, each game has to be produced on mass uniquely which is a nightmare to do (they all use a master right now for speed and cost) or they simply ask for you to hold up a QR to the camera when you install which is inside the box. If your logged into an account with a license it would just install/run, if not you could buy a activation (think ubisoft games which already do this thing right now) online to continue. Game/Gamestation etc would sell that addon license (MS had said they wouldnt apply a tax to the license trading system)
    Its either they include a QR/code on paper or go to mass unique discs with a nightmare to press and a nightmare to tell who even own's which disc. Wired may correct with "What follows naturally" but to me naturally is simply a QR code.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th November 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might be reading the wrong reports, 50/60hz is software. Which means it can be fixed at a later date. There's a way to trick the xboxone here into 50hz mode for ALL content: Xbox One Can Be Forced To Output 50Hz To Fix UK TV Judder

Other people were lumping in other faults, no more relevant. Check out the xbox live status page, its says: purchasing, content usage and gaming is unavailable. It's words not mine.
    The first article that was mentioning this I read was Xbox One TV integration suffers noticeable judder in UK • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net and it had claimed it may be hardware as it was early into the reports and now everyone knows of the workaround but this is how timelines evolve.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

When I replied to the thread I had read Xbox One TV integration suffers noticeable judder in UK • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net which had mentioned possibly being hardware based. I have since read about the workaround and things have naturally developed but I wont go back and edit my post because it was relevant at the time.
    Your's was not...

It says Prepaid codes are unavailable. Your reading a title only...
    You see the table below how it breaks down the context of the outage, thats actually pretty relevant when posting about issues online as it means people clearly know not all of xbox live is down, only these "affect services" in the below context (Call of Duty) and if you leave that part out it may look like flame bait/trolling when you leave out very very relevant details and focus only on the title... You were kind enough to notice the time which you mentioned as being x hours offline but not the detail to the right side?
    Maybe you only normally get outage reports saying Offline/Online from other consoles or software providers but generally its better to give content unless the whole service is offline otherwise people get the wrong idea.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th November 2013 at 12:50 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was there for the Steam launch. It was something new in a landscape different to today; we could get updates without scouring PC magazine disks for them and everyone could be added to a friends list and added to a clan match instead of juggling server details over ICQ. They even had little games in Friends in the overlay for the wait whilst two campers sit in the corner for five minutes. That's if it worked, Friends tended to fall over a lot!

Steam brought much needed changes to the gaming world and added to the experience. MS haven't, game sharing is all well and good but what about just lending the disk to a mate like the old system? And you know what drove me away from XBL back to my PC? The incessant adverts and price gouging. I don't pay fees to be bombed with adverts and garbage like over-priced digital avatar bits (no I don't buy or play TF2 anymore either before that gets mentioned). The old blade system was far superior to the junk they foisted upon us in the last two experiences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I was there for the Steam launch. It was something new in a landscape different to today; we could get updates without scouring PC magazine disks for them and everyone could be added to a friends list and added to a clan match instead of juggling server details over ICQ. They even had little games in Friends in the overlay for the wait whilst two campers sit in the corner for five minutes. That's if it worked, Friends tended to fall over a lot!

Ahhhhh.......... happy days.

Re game lending, I remember the days of my Sega Megadrive. All may mates had one and we all used to sit on the school bus with our bags full of cartridges and constantly swap games with each other for a couple of weeks. It was a simpler time..... /sigh
    Last edited by Rawns; 26th November 2013 at 01:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast