+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, INGRESS in Fun Stuff; I recently stumbled across a very interesting game last week. It's called INGRESS It's an Android only game (at the ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs up INGRESS

I recently stumbled across a very interesting game last week. It's called INGRESS It's an Android only game (at the moment - iPhoney to follow soon) but it integrates Google Maps with Augmented Reality and Geo-cashing. Its been going for about a year and is currently in a closed Beta at the moment which means its invite only, but it is about to be released to the masses for free on the 14th December 2013. A friend (who doesn't actually play it) gave me an invite last week and I must say that it is strangely alluring and quite addictive plus it has the added benefit of getting me out-and-about as I go in search of portals to hack, or enemy portals to destroy.

The idea of the game is that it is between two factions The Enlightened (of which I am one) and The Resistance. Portals are 'hacked' to mine for items (resonators to capture portals, XMP weapons to destroy resonators, portal mods and keys). Once you have captured 3 portals you can establish a 'Control Field' in a triangle between the portals. Its actually a turf-war on a global scale as each side tries to take more ground and beat the other faction.

I know its still a month away but if you like games, geo-cashing, augmented reality and world conquest (well your part in it on a local level) it's definitely well worth checking out. Watch this space for more information!

Is anyone else here already playing this?

Agent Kitalon of The Enlightened

*** EDIT - Allegedly it is actually free and open to play now (no invites needed), it will officially be released on the 14th Dec ***
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 4th November 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I reached lvl8 resistance. I was playing obsessively for about 8 months. At the time there were no portals in my home town so it was quite the struggle.
    I've since given up because it really ate into my life. One of my colleagues still plays.

I would recommend you join some of the ENL google plus groups for your region.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    no portals near me...well within 2 miles anyway

Thank Post
    ingress invite

I removed it from my phone as there were no portals near by!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    no portals near me...well within 2 miles anyway
    Last time I played (march or april) they were accepting pretty much anything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I reached lvl8 resistance. I was playing obsessively for about 8 months. At the time there were no portals in my home town so it was quite the struggle.
    I've since given up because it really ate into my life. One of my colleagues still plays.

I would recommend you join some of the ENL google plus groups for your region.
    Yes I can see how it has such potential to eat in to one's life (but then that can be true about many games). I'm deliberately staying low-key at the moment (and I don't have a G+ account anymore, because I don't trust it) but I did visit Bristol yesterday and typed in a message to the local area and was surprised at the friendly response I got from my own faction. I'm only level 4, but then I've only been playing a week. However I stealthily managed to destroy 9 enemy portals and establish control fields all over my home town on Saturday, then watched this guy (lvl 7) drive around on Sunday and take them all back (he didnt' spot me, but I saw him hehe). I have also been 'adding new portals' all over the place strategically putting them in interesting locations (I just need to wait and see if they authorise them in a few weeks). It's all fun 'n games!
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 4th November 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Just redownlaoded it and loads of portals have sprung up around me. Even better it seems you can create new portals. Think I'll give this another shot.

Thank Post
    I go through phases of playing it. Mostly when it is a nice day on a sunday and I fancy a walk around town. Or when I have an hour or two to kill in Glasgow/Edinburgh/London as there are loads of portals in a dense area in those cities.

Thank Post
    Oh wow! I have just found the Jarvis Virus... mwuhahaha OK. So what's the best way to use this?
    (Allegedly the Jarvis Virus flips a portal from Resistance to Enlightened)

In hindsight this lvl 8 guy has been bugging me by turning my entire town & countryside blue and then he mocked me on the messaging system about my small achievement over my home town. But I know where his central portal is located... so I think I might just flip it to my faction tonight and see what happens. I'm sure it'll give him a whole lot more work to do and should wipe that smug look off his face (I spotted him too the other day looking rather happy with himself). Hehe! Revenge is sweet, but subtle.
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 4th November 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Saw this a while back. Gave it a miss as I don't walk much (car) and no portals nearby. Looks brill though.... if there were more portals.... I may

Thank Post
    Actually on second thoughts... I'm going to bide my time, go out for a nice drive in my Alfa a different way home tonight to the opposite side of the valley and find a portal to link to over there so that when he re-takes his portal (which he'll undoubtedly do with a similar device) he won't be able to re-establish his links again. That'll keep him busy. Gotta think tactically, not just rush in and waste an opportunity like this. I apologise I do get competitive a times.

Thank Post
    On lunch, I loaded this up in town. There are loads of portals now! Even managed to level up and capture a point or two!

Seems I have 10 invites. Anyone want one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    On lunch, I loaded this up in town. There are loads of portals now! Even managed to level up and capture a point or two!

Seems I have 10 invites. Anyone want one?
    Me please, if they've not already gone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    Me please, if they've not already gone
    Ni problem, still got all 10.

PM me your e-mail and and wang one your way.
    Last edited by Rawns; 5th November 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    ...wang one your way.
    Umm.... pm sent

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast