+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Gaming Thread, INGRESS in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam So... It's downloaded and I'm Enlightened. Hooray, you've made the right choice! Have fun, and let ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    So... It's downloaded and I'm Enlightened.
    Hooray, you've made the right choice! Have fun, and let us know how you get on. If you need to know anything just ask.

Thank Post
    So... It's downloaded and I'm Enlightened.
    Woohoo!
    First things first - this game takes time to play. And effort. You can't just sit at your PC like you could with something you'd downloaded through Steam.
    Secondly, keep an eye on your mobile data usage if you have a cap. It can be quite easy to creep away.
    Third, go into your profile in-app and hide your stats. Don't let the enemy see when you're cultivating a guardian portal!
    Fourth, Get yourself a Google+ Profile (I, personally, wouldn't link it to your Ingress account though. I refused to, as did most of my locals). Say hi in comm's. Keep an eye on allchat (it shows local player activity) and if you see anybody else nearby building or capturing, ping them in the private faction chat (clicking on their name, or typing @name will alert them to your message) and ask to join them. You can destroy, link and field on your own, but this will be quicker if you have help.

All-in-all, it's a social game. Most likely your faction will have several (if not tens-of-several) different Google Hangouts and groups for events, general chat, etc.
    We in Manchester have a hangout for general non-ingress chat and a hangout for game-chat, but create new hangouts for each op/event. You'll likely not get invited to events and the 'main' hangouts straight away, just in case you're a spy (yes, that actually happens).. But once you've proven yourself, you'll be running up with the big dogs, getting involved in ops, and that's where the real fun begins. You'll find not a lot of big-chat gets discussed in-app, it's all done through private Hangouts.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th July 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Ingress didn't give me the option to not link it with my Google+? (I don't think) Does this make a difference?

Thank Post
    It's not really as massive issue, but it just means anyone that views your profile (which they can do even if you turn off your stats) gets a link to your G+ profile. It has been known that people have been harassed on their G+ accounts due to other Ingress players finding out, so personally I chose not to do it.
    However I'm getting reports that several things are missing from the iOS release, and since it was submitted around a month ago (before profile linking was a thing) your scanner may simply not have the option to do it. Check your profile - is it linked?

Thank Post
    Not as far as I can see? Not sure where I should be looking yet, though. Not had chance to explore the app very much.

Edit: Doesn't look like there's any portals within walking distance of work which is a bummer!
    Last edited by SiliconAlley_Sam; 14th July 2014 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Oh, whilst I remember, portal decay is drastically increased now to make it a little easier for the newbies. Portal resonators decay every day, and usually if nobody recharges them they completely decay within 7 days (becoming neutral again).. However this has been sped up so a portal now dies in 3 days if it's not recharged (power cube drop ratios have also been increased to compensate). But the big money is in capturing portals and creating control fields, so that's actually good for newbies.

Thank Post
    Don't talk to me about these new decay rates

Thank Post
    Hmm, there's one portal within very easy walking distance of home and another that's a bit of a trek! Whole area is covered in green, does that mean it already belongs to our faction and I'd be messing with one of our own? Is that a done thing?

Thank Post
    Hmm, there's one portal within very easy walking distance of home and another that's a bit of a trek! Whole area is covered in green, does that mean it already belongs to our faction and I'd be messing with one of our own? Is that a done thing?
    No. Fields can be absolutely ma-hoosively huge (Google "Operation: Green Marble"). A field is when 3 portals are linked together, the area inside becomes a field (and is coloured appropriately).. You can still destroy and capture portals underneath a field but you cannot create other links or fields* and there's only one way to destroy a portal your faction owns, and that's by using one specific item (in your case, an ADA Refractor).. You're fine to capture and destroy as much as you can, it won't screw anybody over if you're under a field.

It's bad linking that screws people over (as links cannot cross, so it might prevent them from making links and fields), but A) you're a newbie, so it's forgiveable and B) You can't link right now, so you're fine. What you want to do is head to a town centre and make the smallest fields you can - you get X amount of AP for a field regardless of its size (1250, I think?) so make lots and lots of small ones. Huge ones are just for MU count and bragging rights. Do that later

* you can link from the outside edges of a field inwards, but if both portals are under the field, you can't link them)
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th July 2014 at 12:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Na, it's fine (so long as you don't flip a portal to the opposite faction, but don't worry about that right now). Just work through the tutorial, hack portals and look for white ones to capture.

Thank Post
    Right... and is there any way to create a portal so that there's a few more of them within walking distance of home?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Na, it's fine (so long as you don't flip a portal to the opposite faction, but don't worry about that right now). Just work through the tutorial, hack portals and look for white ones to capture.
    Right! Thanks

Thank Post
    Apparently, no, not on the iOS one yet.

Portal backlog is freaking huge, though. I've got portal submissions from January onwards not responded yet (I have ~50 in limbo)

Thank Post
    That's a shame!

Right, well I'm sure you'll hear from me on this tomorrow once I've had chance to poke around my local portal. Have a feeling this is probably going to take far more time than I have to invest in it but we shall see!

Thank Post
    Can't you 'Submit Portal' on the iOS version by long pressing a location on the scanner then? I know that there is currently a 4-6 month waiting list for them to be accepted, I've just had 8 accepted that I submitted back in March.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast