+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Gaming Thread, INGRESS in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam Used to do a lot of Geo-caching with one of my friends down in Cornwall so ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Used to do a lot of Geo-caching with one of my friends down in Cornwall so this sounds right up my street. Annoyingly we're both iPhone users though.
    Well Ingress is just one (of many) good reasons to go 'Droid But seriously though, the wait will soon be over for all you iPhone users - and don't forget to join the 'right' side and "be Enlightened", not the default over-populated, troglodyte, regressive resistance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Well Ingress is just one (of many) good reasons to go 'Droid But seriously though, the wait will soon be over for all you iPhone users - and don't forget to join the 'right' side and "be Enlightened", not the default over-populated, troglodyte, regressive resistance.
    Just found out that he's actually an Android user now which makes it even more annoying. Enlightened it is, thanks for the head's up!

Thank Post
    Definitely Enlightened! Plus, it matches your name, and you ladies love to accessorise, right? [/sexism]

Resistance is incredibly over-populated because it's the 'default' class. The scanner voice is ADA (the Resistance AI, more-or-less their mascot) The team descriptions are written in favour of the RES, the Ingress Report (the weekly news) is so RES-biased it's un-freaking-believable and rumour has it most of the Niantec team are RES. But we still manage

Thank Post
    We're surrounded on every side, I'm daily battling about 6 different smurfs to the East of our territory - it's gr8 fun. First time I played this I was seriously outnumbered and it was just me against all of them on both sides. But now we have an excellent team of 3 L8 ENL in my home town plus but some very strong alliances with 3 nearby towns including Swindon (which used to be totally dominated by the blues but is now all green - how times have changed). So we've finally got the RES on a back foot in our cell, but you can't stop 'em whinging and name-calling tho. lol

Thank Post
    The bit that really annoyed me was the recent Ingress Report that featured Green Marble.

We covered HALF THE FG WORLD! Literally. Fields over HALF OF THE PLANET. We got a mention, which was nice, but nothing much, then immediately after the Resistance were praised for a 'mega field' that had nothing but ocean below it. SERIOUSLY?! Bias much? >.<

We're outnumbered in my local area, and a lot more of them have their own transport (cars) than we do, so often our things are getting dropped between 23:00-03:00, plus a lot of them live in the same areas (so they always have L8 farms up) whereas we're more spread out, but we still push back hard when they bring the fight to us. The fact that they have more players means they build L8 farms easier, get more resources easier, and recruit more people, so it is a bit of a spiral that reinforces itself each time it coils round. BUT! Don't let my griping fool you, it's fun, though!
    Last edited by Garacesh; 2nd July 2014 at 04:10 PM.

Thank Post
    That sounds quite a bind bruv, sorry to hear it We made a concerted effort to destroy any local L7/L8 smurf farms in our area, now as soon as there's a whiff of one popping up we're on it! It's our little game of whack-a-smurf and we're often fighting to get there first. Our own town and nearby town's farms are always L7 and occasionally become L8, but we have a permanent L8 ENL farm in Swindon now-a-days (I pop up there once a week).

Yeah Ingress is great fun for all the family, gets you fit walking everywhere, out and about and visiting new places you never knew about, really social when you meet up with your fellow team-mates (and dare I say is cross-faction meetings). What's more it's free to play (not factoring in other costs like buying a power-pack for your phone, or draining away litres of fuel as in my case). I'm liking the introduction of 8 new extra honoury levels (9-16) so the level bashing is back so it doesn't as stale as when it all plateaued out at L8, regional scoring has also made a massive difference and gives you something to aim for and makes the game more what it's supposed to be about - capturing mind units for your faction - although how you play it is up to you.

Thank Post

Exclamation

...And it's finally here for those Apple folk: Ingress for iPhone, iPad, etc

It looks like they're resetting the game for your guys, decay rates have increased from 7 days to 3 days. Come and join the fun!

JOIN (GREEN) ENLIGHTENED!
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 14th July 2014 at 09:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Oh, finally! It was supposed to be released during the Montreal anomaly but wasn't.. No idea why (Niantec's PR being the steaming pile that it is..) @SiliconAlley_Sam, Join the Enlightened!

Thank Post
    Yaaaaaaay! Enlightened is the way to go then?

Thank Post
    Except it just crashes on my phone I'm hoping that is because of the rush to sign up by all and sundry.

Thank Post
    Well, realistically, it depends on how you 'feel' about each faction.. From the story perspective..

Do you want to use XM and the Shaper's influence to advance Humanity? Do you believe that they have silently aided us with developing technology, medicines and become the dominant species? Join The Enlightened (A risky choice, if the Shapers turn out to be benevolent meanies, but offering amazing rewards if they don't.)
    The Enlightened's 'mascot' is a man (ex-man, I guess, he's no longer a physical being) named Roland Jarvis, a scientist whose consciousness entered the XM stream after Epiphany Night. The enlightened capture areas and MU (Mind Units) in order to 'free the minds' of humans inside the fields, allowing them to experience the enhanced thought, creativity and intelligence they see the Shapers as providing.

Do you fear what the Shaper's could represent? Do you believe we should outright reject their influence, push them from our world? Do you believe humanity can make it on its own, and have no need for the advancements the Shapers may have brought us? Join The Resistance (Arrogant, but the 'safer' approach, but if they are helping Humanity means we throw away further advancements)
    The Resistance's 'mascot' is an AI named ADA. The Resistance members capture Mind Units to shield humans from the Shaper influence (They use slightly different resonators to make fields which block out rather than open up the mind). ADA wants to analyse the brain processes of billions of humans using the captured Mind Units, but we don't know what for, yet.

(There is a somewhat corrupted copy of ADA living inside the body of Klue that wants to eradicate humanity, also aligned with the Resistance. We've yet to see what will come of that, I think that'll be to do with the third faction)
    Myself and @AlfaTech are on the Enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Except it just crashes on my phone I'm hoping that is because of the rush to sign up by all and sundry.
    Could be, but it might not be tailored to every device yet.. You're taking part in some "Involuntary QA", as Goat Simulator called it :P
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th July 2014 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Well lets put it this way, the Enlightened want use exotic matter (xm) to help evolve mankind to a higher level. Whereas the Resistance have created an A.I. that want's to evolve itself and doesn't care about humanity. The initial choice in the game is a bit misleading as it doesn't really give you any kind of picture of the back-story. Enlightened are positive forward thinkers, whereas the Resistance are rather backward and fearful (unfortunately as the story unfolds the resistance have become a bigger threat to humanity through supporting and unleashing the megalomaniac A.I. known as ADA.) On another level the different factions seem to attract different types of people, but that is just an observation. So I suppose you need to ask yourself do you consider your self 'enlightened' or 'resistant'? Or maybe you just prefer a warm green to a cold blue. lol
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 14th July 2014 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Enlightened are positive forward thinkers, whereas the Resistance are rather backward and fearful
    Now, now.. Let's not appear prejudice.

The Enlightened Perspective:
    The Resistance are arrogant, fearful and backwards. They want to push away the Shapers after all they've done for us. The shapers have provided us with heightened creativity, giving path to so much artistic expression, music, paintings, sculptures; and intrinsic knowledge that would have taken us centuries longer to on our own. Through their guiding hand - and guiding is all it is - we have become the dominant species of the planet - without them we'd still be stuck in the dark ages! The Shapers are allies of Humanity, and have never given us any reason to think otherwise.
    The Enlightened harvest XM and Shaper Technology in order to free the minds of more humans, allowing our species to progress further. Who knows what wonders the futures hold if we embrace the Shapers? Now that we know about them, we can try and figure out how to communicate with them. Maybe we could be mutually beneficial to each other?

The Resistance Perspective:
    The Enlightened are childish, and have a rose-tinted view on the Shapers. The Enlightened don't see the threat they pose if we keep them around. They can influence human thought, pave the rise of grand movements. These movements may be positive, we don't know, but there's every chance they could lead to death, wars and a myriad of disasters. We don't know their true motives, we don't know what they are. It's too risky.
    The Resistance harvest XM and use modified Shaper Technology to block out the Shaper influence. Humanity is strong enough to make it on its own now, and we'd do much better without our minds being manipulated in-secret by these otherworldly entities we know nothing about.

Essentially, though, the game is the same on both sides. It's just Blue or Green, depending on who you pick.

Thank Post
    Its quite funny how the story is progressing even many in the Resistance now don't know if they can or want to trust ADA (A Detection Algorithm) the A.I. monster that they've unleashed upon humanity, which believes it now supersedes mankind. So far beyond a general 'fear of the unknown' the Shapers (whoever or whatever they are) have posed no obvious threat and have only served to help civilizations through the ages. In this sci-fi story as with many, the biggest threat to mankind is mankind it's self, or mankind's creation. It kinda reminds me of Terminator where ADA is like Skynet. "All humans must die!". "Resistance is futile!" lol

Thank Post
    So... It's downloaded and I'm Enlightened.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast