+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, INGRESS in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Garacesh Joined The Enlightened only to find out that they absolutely dominate the two areas I'd be ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Joined The Enlightened only to find out that they absolutely dominate the two areas I'd be 'active' in (Live and Work) so I'm just slowly helping where I can xD

Performed a drive-by hacking on the bus. Felt rather accomplished.
    Lol.... hack the enlightened! You can hack and attack your own faction. Start a insider.... thing a ma bob....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Lol.... hack the enlightened! You can hack and attack your own faction.
    Aye, I know, and you kinda have to in order to obtain resources. But there's no low-level portals nearby, they all have high-level resonators deployed at them. Might have to just create my own :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    [Start a insider.... thing a ma bob....
    You mean 'Be a double-agent'? :P

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Aye, I know, and you kinda have to in order to obtain resources. But there's no low-level portals nearby, they all have high-level resonators deployed at them. Might have to just create my own :P

You mean 'Be a double-agent'? :P
    Shhhhhhhh 007..... no one should be knowing about our plans.....

TO TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD

Its pinky n the brain!

Bagsy brain xD

Thank Post
    Joined The Enlightened only to find out that they absolutely dominate the two areas I'd be 'active' in (Live and Work) so I'm just slowly helping where I can xD

Performed a drive-by hacking on the bus. Felt rather accomplished.
    I love doing drive-bys, I often blow up a local smurf pub (near work) - I'm actually planning on levelling it again at lunch and putting them under a field.

Well done on joining the 'winning' side Whats ur ign? Check out the Intel map, I'm totally dominating Wiltshire - North Hampshire (and beginning to make in-roads to Dorset now I've got some contacts down that way) all those green fields over Salisbury Plain are my handy work - with a few keys from some friends.

Thank Post
    Well on Friday after work I went on an hour-long wander, XMP'ing blue portals, hacking every one I came close to and capturing a few white ones for my own. I even made my first link! Woo!

IGN is the same as my forum name here.

Thank Post
    Gratz on ur first link bruv, next step create your very own field (that ones quite exciting - well the first time at least). If you're on G+ its well worth looking for your local Enlightened group(s), you'll get plenty of help and support there. That's what I like about this game - the social aspect and comradery.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Gratz on ur first link bruv, next step create your very own field (that ones quite exciting - well the first time at least). If you're on G+ its well worth looking for your local Enlightened group(s), you'll get plenty of help and support there. That's what I like about this game - the social aspect and comradery.
    Yeah, I'm involved with the local Enl G+ community. The social aspect is definitely good - I'm even somewhat involved in a planned op But shh!
    Got to level 6 recently - would've been a lot sooner were I not dieing over the Christmas holidays.

Can't say I'm fond of the new Resonator/XMP/Power Cube designs, though..

Thank Post
    Installed this yesterday after spotting this thread.
    Thought it might be a fun way to get me out and about walking.

Any advice for a newbie? I've found a few portals around town and hacked them.
    They all seem to be owned by one person of the same faction as me, I assume this is a good thing?

There are lots of big gaps where I think there should be portals, how do new ones get created?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
    Installed this yesterday after spotting this thread.
    Thought it might be a fun way to get me out and about walking.
    You better not be a smurf :P

Any advice for a newbie? I've found a few portals around town and hacked them.
    They all seem to be owned by one person of the same faction as me, I assume this is a good thing?
    Not specifically bad for a newbie, but not perfect. The best way to level up is to capture portals and create links. You can still link portals (Which net you 1k+, I think it's 1250 AP per link) but you get extra AP for placing resonators, with AP bonuses for the first and last resonator placed on a portal. Still, the majority of the AP is in links, so if you can get those you're good to go.

Links are created by meeting two constraint criteria. One: You must be standing at a portal that your faction controls that has all 8 resonator slots filled. Two: You must have the Portal Key for the portal you want to like TO, that your faction also controls and is also filled with 8 resonators. You do not need to the key for the portal you're linking FROM.
    Open up the portal menu and click LINK. Depending on the level of the portal (and how many LINK AMP mods it has) depends on how far it can link. Links cannot cross. You cannot link outwards if you are inside a field* but you can link from the edges of the field inwards.

* Fields are created by linking three portals in a triangle. No links can be made underneath a field (unless from the edges, as specified earlier) At lower levels, try and make as many small triangles as possible to maximise link AP.

There are lots of big gaps where I think there should be portals, how do new ones get created?
    Long-press on your scanner when you're close enough to the area you want to spawn a new portal. You'll be granted with three** options. One of those is the option to add a new portal. Take a picture, give it a name, a description if you can think of one (but not mandatory) and submit it. Backlog is currently 6-8 weeks now, though as lots have been submitted since the game left closed(ish) beta. And they're not all approved if they're too close to something similar (in most cases), badly described or just because the guy at Niantec is a bit grouchy. New portals ought to be a religious building, a statue/cenotaph/memorial garden etc, a work of art, mural, a feat of technology, or simply something 'unusual' that you don't find anywhere else. Remember: Portals are supposed to have had unusual or significant things built on them due to shaper influence.

** Four options if you long-press over a currently existing portal.

A few more tips:
    Hack everything you find. You can hack friendly or enemy portals. Even as you level up, hack all portals. It's still worth hacking Level 1 portals as a Level 8 because of portal mods, JARVIS Viruses/ADA Refractors etc.
    L1 Resonators are better than no resonators. Your faction can upgrade a resonator to a higher level one by visiting the portal, so you're not making it weak-until-dead.
    You can recharge resonators if you're near the portal, or remotely if you have a key. This drains XM.
    Portals decay at a rate of 15% per day (so on the turn of the 7th day, if they haven't been recharged or upgraded, they become neutral again) - this may be advantageous to you if you can capture them if nobody pays the upkeep.
    If the opposing faction breaks down your stuff, that is good for you right now. Re-building places gets you AP quicker than sitting idly and not doing anything.
    Visit town or city centres. There's usually lots there.
    Get involved with your local faction Google+ Community! They will help you!

If you need any more info, feel free to ask The more people playing, the better.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 30th January 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the info. Think I'm getting the hang of it.

Plan for this evening is to go for a walk round town and link a few points, then take the dogs out to one of the points on the moor and try and capture it, or at least whittle it down a bit.

Also try submitting a few points round and about the place.

I might have chosen smurfs....

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the info. Think I'm getting the hang of it.
    -snip-
    I might have chosen smurfs....
    Disregard everything I said. Uninstall.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are many, many more people members of the Resistance than there are Enlightened. Which in turn snowballs into more people joining the Resistance as friends recruit each other. Unfair team sizes. Grumble.

'chipping a bit off' may not end up helping you. You don't earn AP for attacking unless you can actually destroy a resonator. You'll want to stand directly on top of the strongest weakest (you only hit the strongest first after you're a higher level) resonator - and not on top of the portal, like I first thought! - and let off XMP's, as damage is based on XMP/Resonator level and distance (tip, hold down the FIRE button and when the orange orbs move the closest, let go for a 20% damage increase) but if you're still level 1 you'll have trouble breaking anything higher than level 2. It can be done. It just takes more and more weapons - the distance cap decreases as you level up, for the record. At level 5 I was taking out Level 8 resonators, with a little difficulty. At level 6 it's pretty easy now provided the portal isn't too well protected. And if someone has the keys they can remotely recharge it quicker than you can damage it. It's all about speed and surprise, as you get e-mails and (if enabled) phone notifications when you're under attack.

Also be wary of portal shields and links. Both provide damage mitigation.
    For example, if you're stood directly on top of it, It takes ten level 1 XMP's to destroy a level 2 Resonator IF the portal has no shields or links. Two common shield mods (which is quite normal to find) ups that to 13 XMP's needed (again, level 1) and if it has even just 1 link on, that increases to 15. (All these are not accounting for the up-to-20% increase or random critical damage)

Hopefully there's a noob Enlightened trying to level up in your area, if he is, you could end up battling each other which will in the long run, help you both level up.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 30th January 2014 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there are many, many more people members of the Resistance than there are Enlightened. Which in turn snowballs into more people joining the Resistance as friends recruit each other. Unfair team sizes. Grumble.
    Tell me about it, I'm in an area totally surrounded by Resistence and I'm the only Enlightened agent for about 20 miles. But saying that I've been holding my own surprisingly well - one weekend 5 L8 smurfs attacked my fields in an almost coordinated effort (for smurfs) but I managed to out smart them and completely kyboshed their plans and put everything back up later that afternoon.

Oops! One smurf has 'just' knocked out my portal at Stonehenge! Oh well, I know what I'll be doing this lunchtime lol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Tell me about it, I'm in an area totally surrounded by Resistence and I'm the only Enlightened agent for about 20 miles. But saying that I've been holding my own surprisingly well - one weekend 5 L8 smurfs attacked my fields in an almost coordinated effort (for smurfs) but I managed to out smart them and completely kyboshed their plans and put everything back up later that afternoon.
    Nice
    I don't really have the power cubes to defend much, plus the smurfs here seem to trash my local portals (I live right next to one town centre and work in another, so two places I can hit ) either whilst I'm at work or at midnight-ish, so usually I'm not in a viable position to defend anyway.

There's a few more of them than there are of us in my local area, but certainly way more of them than us in the cell.

But anyway, I'm only level 6, so they can knock my stuff down as much as they like - the money's in links/fields, so I'm more than happy to re-build 195k AP off level 7.

Thank Post
    Just got back into this.. was a level 3 smurf but had a few friends over at the weekend who were all enlightened, ended up using one of my other emails and spent a good 2 hours wandering around.. in the rain.. yeah, bad idea in hindsight.

Managed a few drive bys on the bus to work, might take a wander around tonight, I lost a few this morning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Just got back into this.. was a level 3 smurf but had a few friends over at the weekend who were all enlightened, ended up using one of my other emails and spent a good 2 hours wandering around.. in the rain.. yeah, bad idea in hindsight.

Managed a few drive bys on the bus to work, might take a wander around tonight, I lost a few this morning
    Woohoo! Another one to the cause.
    Things have been shaken up a lot recently. Shields are much more powerful, Ultra Strikes can be hacked by all phones and all networks worldwide, Capsules have been added to easier facilitate the transfer of items, and you've just missed 2 UK anomalies

Oh, and the max level is now 16

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast