+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Xbox One + Accessing media on network drives in Fun Stuff; I am thinking of getting a Xbox One soon, I currently have a PS3 and fancy a change. What i ...
    Thank Post

Xbox One + Accessing media on network drives

I am thinking of getting a Xbox One soon, I currently have a PS3 and fancy a change. What i cant seem to find out is if the Xbox One is capable of accessing my Buffalo Link-station where store my Music, Videos etc. I can access these no problem with my PS3 am not sure if you can with the Xbox One. I used to have a 360 some years ago but never had the Buffalo then so have no idea if any Xbox had this feature?

The outcome of your answers will help me make my decision.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's called Dlna, the ps4 does not have it and the Xbox one specs information so far has not said either way. I would imagine the Xbox one should have it as it does help link all their devices like their pcs and phones, they have more to gain by keeping it in, Windows 8 has a windows certification for dlna sharing so while it is still possible that it may not have it, it is likely that it does but as far as I know there is no definitive answer yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    I think you'll have to wait a bit longer to be 100% sure, but it does look like the Xbox One will support DLNA.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never mind, looks like the info is out now
    Xbox One Is DLNA Compatible, Can Be Used As Media Server - News - www.GameInformer.com
    Xbox One can play Audio CDs, DLNA compatible, No local MP3 (Only thru Play To, X - Xbox One Message Board for Xbox One - GameFAQs

No local MP3 support but you can push them or whatever else to it over the network from a pc or phone or any one of the thousands of things that support the standard. Ps4 does not do local audio files either but also does not support Dona.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    looks like the info is out now
    Still no word on supported formats for DLNA streaming though.

MKVs (H.264 video + lossless audio) is probably wishful thinking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think you'll have to wait a bit longer to be 100% sure, but it does look like the Xbox One will support DLNA.
    But will it be able to access files on a Buffalo Linkstation or will it be only accessing files ona Microsoft based platform kit?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    But will it be able to access files on a Buffalo Linkstation or will it be only accessing files ona Microsoft based platform kit?
    If its Dlna it is an open standard, ironicly made by Sony so yes it should work.
    @Arthur - lets hope it is supported, probably not from the push side as wmp still can't manage but at least mp4 is likely.

Thank Post
    I can confirm that the Xbox 360 does work with a Buffalo Linkstation. As I just setup mine over the weekend. In the same boat as the OP now hoping the Xbox One will work properly too.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys for your answers.

Hoping the Xbox One follows in the same path.

Thank Post
    Well, purchased a Xbox one and it does not fully support DNLA. The XB1 does not have the function to browse the local network to find media servers. From what I have read on the xbox forums it can only have media pushed to it.

Gutted. Everyone in the forums are complaining. Oh well, will be keeping my PS3 for some time then!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Well, purchased a Xbox one and it does not fully support DNLA. The XB1 does not have the function to browse the local network to find media servers. From what I have read on the xbox forums it can only have media pushed to it.

Gutted. Everyone in the forums are complaining. Oh well, will be keeping my PS3 for some time then!!!
    Well, that's the XB1 off my list then
    What fool made the decision to leave out the most widespread home media framework out of a device being billed as being so central to the 'digital home'?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 8th January 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Flippin' hell! You lot are impatient!!!

As mentioned above (and below) full DLNA support is coming in a future update. It's just a case of waiting.

Streaming downloaded content from my PC to the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, whether through Plex, Tversity or Windows Media Centre, has become one of my primary uses for the consoles. Unfortunately neither brand new video game system, the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One, supports DLNA content streaming right now.

According to Microsoft’s director of programming for Xbox Live, Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb, Microsoft is still looking into adding DLNA support to the recently-released Xbox One. Unfortunately, the feature doesn’t have a solid release date yet because, according to Hryb, use of DLNA streaming wasn't widespread with the Xbox 360.

“You know we’re looking to see what the right thing is. We noticed that some people were using that with Xbox 360. To be honest with you, not a lot of folks were. There were certainly some enthusiasts using it on a regular basis but that wasn't something that a lot of folks were doing,” Hryb said.

“So we certainly would like to bring that back, but we’re going to try to figure it out. It’s always a balance of time and resources when you’re building something like this … We want to make sure we’re doing it the right way and that it’s something that’s going to be the most appealing for everyone,” Hryb said.

Sony has also said they have plans to eventually bring DLNA content streaming support to the PlayStation 4. It is currently possible to stream content from your PC to the Xbox One through a rather complicated method outlined here, but the functionality isn’t the same as what the Xbox 360 was capable of. Another quick fix is plugging your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 into the Xbox One’s HDMI-in port, allowing you to access the console through the Xbox One (expect a significant amount of controller input lag though).

Hryb explained that Microsoft is committed to improving the Xbox One, particularly its operating system and that the Xbox One’s OneGuide premium features will come to Canada at some point in the future. (Source)

Thank Post
    After spending £450 and being told by MS it supports DNLA I think I have the right to be impatient! 😜

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    DLNA is a waste of time on any device I've found. Well I say that as I've only ever found a PC ( windows version ) that has MKV support. I'll stick to my Sumvision media player which even after 3 years still plays anything I chuck at it - Sumvision ( if played from an attached USB stick or hard drive ) 1080p, DTS, MP4, MKV etc.
    I have tried the DLNA aspect on it but again found it lacking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    DLNA is a waste of time on any device I've found. Well I say that as I've only ever found a PC ( windows version ) that has MKV support.
    I have tried the DLNA aspect on it but again found it lacking.
    Just convert the files with MKV2VOB and DLNA from a NAS is great.

MS shouldnt have said it supports DLNA with only push which requires other devices or additional runtime software, it was misleading to say the least.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 8th January 2014 at 08:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast