+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Pokemon X & Y in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by AlfaTech Coolio. That ought to do it I will ditch my current team and set about building ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    Coolio. That ought to do it

I will ditch my current team and set about building a proper 'competitive team' once I've completed the game. I probably won't import my competition 'mon from White 1/2 and just start again training them up in X. Although I might breed them in White 1/2 so they level up quicker once imported, maybe.

I'm currently training Gengar on the side, now I've bred one with it's best 'nature' for a Mega Gengar special sweeper. Mwuhaha!
    Modest, 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed

Shadow ball
    Focus blast[?]
    Thunder
    Energy ball[?]

Amirite? [From memory, I <3 Gengar.]

I may not be a competitive battler... But I know some movesets.

Plus you kind of need EV training for hax AI in battle [location].

Thank Post
    Yes definitely a Modest nature Well Gengar now has got access to a Fairy move; Dazzling Gleam, goodbye Dragons. I haven't fully decided on the set there are a couple of different move sets I like to use with Gengar, it's new ability 'Shadow Tag' will make it a living nightmare "help I can't switch out!" Mega Gengar is insanely Fast and has an insanely high Special Attack. Could be a game-breaker (if it don't get banned). Mwuhahaha.

Thank Post
    I've never given my hand to EV training or competitive play. It seems to be either an all-or-nothing thing. Either you spend a tonne of time researching what EV's you need, devising movesets, catching and training your 'mons (presumably from the lowest level possible?) all to have even a chance at beating some dude.

I have a feeling that most Mega Evolutions will be disallowed in competitive play, though?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I have a feeling that most Mega Evolutions will be disallowed in competitive play, though?
    Some seem to be pretty lame, TBH.

I've never given my hand to EV training or competitive play. It seems to be either an all-or-nothing thing. Either you spend a tonne of time researching what EV's you need, devising movesets, catching and training your 'mons (presumably from the lowest level possible?) all to have even a chance at beating some dude.
    To a certain degree. Full on competitive battling has devolved to the point you're only ever going to see the same few 'mons.

I usually just look at the base stats and get a nature that drops the lowest stat and increases the highest. [Or drops the lower attack stat and buffs the other one.]

Movesets are pretty simple. You just want to get different types that cover your weaknesses.

Egg moves, however, are a nightmare to work out.

Thank Post

Competitive battling is where it's at TBH, the game only just 'begins' after you've completed it (if you get what I mean). It's not necessarily about beating some dude, it's about having a team and developing the skills, breeding/training the 'mon that can pwn every dude - 'To be the very best like no one ever was' I'm not the best in our Pokémon clan, there are two better than me who beat me every time - one of those has a degree in particle physics and an excellent memory (which figures), the other is a girl (damn it) I will beat her one day. At the end of the day it's all good fun and really quite a sociable game as with all competitions it's not just about the winning, its about the taking part.

Megas? Yeah I'm certain some will definitely be banned, others not! The whole meta-game is all up in the air right now with the introduction of Megas and Fairy typing, it'll be interesting to see how it will all land. You never know some previously banned 'mon may have their restrictions lifted now. We'll see I guess.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Megas? Yeah I'm certain some will definitely be banned, others not! The whole meta-game is all up in the air right now with the introduction of Megas and Fairy typing, it'll be interesting to see how it will all land. You never know some previously banned 'mon may have their restrictions lifted now. We'll see I guess.
    People still aren't sure if Amie affects WiFi battles.

Some people are saying it does, others are saying it doesn't.

Max affection gets you:

Increased crit chance
    10% evasion boost
    Shed skin type ability
    Focus sash type ability
    [Bonus exp which doesn't matter in WiFi]

And there's rumours of it also giving a frisk type ability as well. [someone claimed that their 'mon detected the presence of an item in a wild battle.]

If it does affect it, THAT will be the biggest problem for Smogon.
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd October 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Haha! Well they really have shifted the game mechanics in this generation haven't they. It's all good and like you said about competitive battling getting a bit stale with the seeing the same old 'mon again and again, these changes should freshen things up a bit and make it a bit more interesting.

Yep I guess it's gonna take Smogon University a long time to rethink things - they've got a lot of work ahead of themselves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha! Well they really have shifted the game mechanics in this generation haven't they. It's all good and like you said about competitive battling getting a bit stale with the seeing the same old 'mon again and again, these changes should freshen things up a bit and make it a bit more interesting.
    FEAR [Rattata]

Switch to max HP Blissey

Substitute

Switch to Trick room user

Back to rattatta

???

Rage quit

So... much... fun. I call it "The Spanish Inquisition" because nobody expects it.

Yep I guess it's gonna take Smogon University a long time to rethink things - they've got a lot of work ahead of themselves.
    Not really, they're already talking bans.

Amie'd 'mon = banned. [and by extension Sylveon is banned regardless of how good/bad it is]

It's easy to tell if it's maxed. You get special entry dialogue.

Or, they just don't add Amie effects to their sim.

Le EDIT: Alpha, you may be able to answer this...

If the IV range is 0 to +31 to any stat, why is Serebii's stat ranges about 100 points for a neutral nature?
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd October 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Smogon University? Sim?

Wat

Thank Post
    Smogon University? Sim?

Wat
    The loved and loathed website of all things to do with Pokémon competitive battling... Smogon University - Competitive Pokémon Community.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The loved and loathed website of all things to do with Pokémon competitive battling... Smogon University - Competitive Pokémon Community.
    Aye... I hate Smogon because they tell me I'm not allowed to use certain things. [And GameFreak sometimes LISTEN TO THEM!]

But, I've gotten a few ideas for 'mons from there...

Also, forget about the 100 point stat range thing... I didn't realise Serebii add 252 EVs to the max value. Works out about right.

Le EDIT: Smogon use a simulator to do online battles. They set IVs to 31 in every stat and select which hidden power they want. It's easier than breeding. [Seriously... breeding for IVs is tedious. I don't bother.]
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd October 2013 at 01:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thought it might have been, but couldn't be bothered to research it given it's Pokemon related and I'm at work, thus, likely blocked.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thought it might have been, but couldn't be bothered to research it given it's Pokemon related and I'm at work, thus, likely blocked.
    Smogon isn't blocked here... [Though that could just be because RM.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol wut... Alakazam just swept the 2nd gym with no damage. The only [non-status] attack it has is confusion.

Also, Merlin and Kaleidos [Braxien and Quiladin respectively] are almost level 30... god damn exp share is awesome.

Thanks again, @AlfaTech. Once I've got a japanese ditto and the egg moves are out I'm trying for shinies.
    Last edited by X-13; 22nd October 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeah I was able to catch Mewtwo last night

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast