+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Steambox, would you buy one? HL8 Confirmed. in Fun Stuff; You can still use a keyboard and mouse....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can still use a keyboard and mouse.

Thank Post
    You can still use a KB and mouse. I also believe (can't say for definite as I haven't used one) that the controller works more like a track pad than a traditional analog stick, meaning you'd still get the faster turning etc. you'd get with a mouse.

Thank Post
    Meh... not to keen. Can't see why someone would buy this especially when these are going to be at least 100 more than a PS4, I don't think it would take off, also those using steam use it on a Windows gaming PC already so why would they want to spend additional 's for what they already have! I don't see how this is different to me plugging in a computer to my TV via HDMI socket and hooking up a wireless controller such as the Xbox 360 one. I'd love an excuse to buy one but they just don't tick ANY boxes for me and I can't see who this would tick boxes for!!! Personally I think this is a crap idea though I'd like someone to persuade me otherwise!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    ... I don't see how this is different to me plugging in a computer to my TV via HDMI socket and hooking up a wireless controller such as the Xbox 360 one...
    As far as I can see it isn't. With the exceptions of a smaller case that looks neater on your TV stand and the possible/rumored speed increase due to it been linux based.

I think it comes down to the target market, which I think is going to be younger console gamers that might not know how to set up a gaming rig etc.

Thank Post
    Ultimately systems live and die by their 3rd party developer and publisher support, this looks rather limited for linux only Steam.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Ultimately systems live and die by their 3rd party developer and publisher support, this looks rather limited for linux only Steam.
    For it to even have a chance the AAA titles need to be on it. Without those at launch I can't see it taking off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The idea is to converge PC gaming with the living room. Most people don't want a clod-hopping giant PC sat next to their TV in the lounge whirring away.

So, Steam came up with the idea of creating pretty set top boxes which don't overpower your room while allowing you to engage in PC gaming and allowing upgradability or for you to use it as a remote device with your normal PC being the 'host' of your games (if you already have such a PC).

It doesn't make much sense for me, as my TV is the same size as my PC monitor, and I don't want to game on my sofa, but for family type living rooms, it makes sense.

Thank Post
    Ugly? not if you have a gaming laptop or a small ITX build, plus from what I can see on this thread it seems the premade builds are once again going to be overpriced! Give it a year steam will have failed unless they get AAA titles and can compete with the prices of the Current Xbox One and PS4 they don't stand a chance! Younger kids won't use this either as none of them have heard about it! Everyone knows what the PS4 and Xbox is and if their mates have got a PS4 but you've got a steambox you can't game together. The only gap in the market that I can see is to make a console with same or better hardware specs as Xbox and PS4 but much cheaper and have that console integrate with it's own and the PS4, 360 server allowing you to play with anyone from any console otherwise it's not going to work!
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The idea is to converge PC gaming with the living room. Most people don't want a clod-hopping giant PC sat next to their TV in the lounge whirring away.

So, Steam came up with the idea of creating pretty set top boxes which don't overpower your room while allowing you to engage in PC gaming and allowing upgradability or for you to use it as a remote device with your normal PC being the 'host' of your games (if you already have such a PC).

It doesn't make much sense for me, as my TV is the same size as my PC monitor, and I don't want to game on my sofa, but for family type living rooms, it makes sense.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Ugly? not if you have a gaming laptop or a small ITX build, plus from what I can see on this thread it seems the premade builds are once again going to be overpriced! Give it a year steam will have failed unless they get AAA titles and can compete with the prices of the Current Xbox One and PS4 they don't stand a chance! Younger kids won't use this either as none of them have heard about it! Everyone knows what the PS4 and Xbox is and if their mates have got a PS4 but you've got a steambox you can't game together. The only gap in the market that I can see is to make a console with same or better hardware specs as Xbox and PS4 but much cheaper and have that console integrate with it's own and the PS4, 360 server allowing you to play with anyone from any console otherwise it's not going to work!
    I agree with the AAA titles and price points but I doubt the cross platform gaming would be an issue. Don't get me wrong it would be a great feature but Playstation and Xbox can't play cross platform and both sell OK.

Thank Post
    Steambox is probably aimed at me. I did build gaming rigs but then children came along and less time so I went down the console road and got an xbox 360. I was also surprised that the lesser graphics made no real difference to me so long as the game was good and the mouse made no difference as everyone was on a level playing field with a controller.

I have not jumped on the next gen band wagon but at some point will be getting either PS4, Xbox One or a Steambox. As things stand they are in that order with Steam my last choice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with AAA being an issue. The best thing they could do is launch Half Life 3, Portal 3 and a new Counter Strike game at launch - as they can control these themselves, but 3rd part AAA will be needed too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a PS4 but would seriously consider jumping ship to Steam around 2015 time if AAA support works out. That said, if I did convert to Steam, I'd build my own rather than buy any of the announced systems. As the 500 PC thread has shown, you can do a far better job of spec'ing components and then shove the SteamOS on the end result and buy a couple of steam gamepads.

The market for OEM built steam computers is exactly the same market as there was for OEM built 3D0's and mac clones in the early 90's. OEM's are never going to get a compelling price/performance because unlike MS and Sony they can't take a loss on the hardware.

The problem Valve have is convince Windows PC users to install SteamOS, atleast in dual boot, and getting a large enough installed userbase in SteamOS (Linux) to make AAA's want to develop for the platform. It's that chicken and egg that has Valve partnering with OEM's and I looks to me as if it might back fire on them.

Thank Post
    Looks nice, but a decent PC setup would be a better option for now - until they get SteamOS sorted with a few more games on it - could then be tempted to dual boot my (soon to be new) PC between a PC and SteamBox (if that's at all possible!)

Thank Post
    Plus if you have a powerful steambox which has steam os on it you're really limiting yourself. On a windows machine you could do internet browsing, watch on demand, edit photos and more but if you shove steam os on a computer you're not going to be able to do anything but game so surely even if AAA titles came out on it people would still choose to run windows on their systems as they can do so much more. Steam would love people to just use their OS for one reason price they only give you one store to buy from and that's steam! Where as on a Windows computer I compare PC Download prices with Steam, Amazon, Game and find the best deal! (which normally isn't steam)

They are taking away all the freedom from being a PC gamer being able to add mods will be a struggle also as I'm guessing you won't have a simple file explorer to mod files. I'm all for making PC games become better known and used but they've really not thought about this!

Thank Post
    im going to be building a new gaming rig soon and have made the choice of making it a mini itx so that will be my steambox however it wont be steamos untill i can build a second machine that will host the games that wont run on the steamos so that it can be streamed. and i could do it all for the cost of the alienware box :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast