+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Gaming Thread, Steambox, would you buy one? HL8 Confirmed. in Fun Stuff; It varies by title really. When I used TF2 I did find myself having to swap between KB/M and Gamepad ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It varies by title really. When I used TF2 I did find myself having to swap between KB/M and Gamepad though to set options and proceed in the training missions.

Thank Post
    In Big Picture mode, GTA4 loads directly with game pad selected. So does ARMA3, however there is not a game pad big enough to use with ARMA3! Way too many controls!

Indie games are awesome in Big Screen mode. Super meat boy for example!

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Buying it. Thank you Valve. Thank you.

Thank you. Thank you...... you may thank yourselves.... with all the thanks from me.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Last edited by Arthur; 27th September 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I think I'd have to feel and use the control before I decide whether I like it or not. Hard to get an idea of size form the pictures.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the touch pad idea. They're useless for gaming on laptops. We'll see though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They're useless for gaming on laptops.
    This is so true... I've played things where I couldn't move the camera AND move at the same time.

Thank Post
    Not sure about the touchpad idea. They're useless for gaming on laptops.
    It's just as well they are not like laptop trackpads then.

Select game developers used the Steam Controller. Here's what they said « Gamasutra

The most prominent, and for some developers and players off-putting feature of the controller are those circular trackpads. But developers who we spoke with essentially said to drop your expectations of what a trackpad is capable (or not capable) of.

"These are not like laptop trackpads," Tabar said. "Everyone is like, 'Oh we're replacing thumbsticks with trackpads, oh ****.' [laughs] But this is not at all like a laptop trackpad. It just feels good. It's a challenge to verbally describe it.

"When [your thumb] moves toward the outer zone of the trackpad, you can feel that. [The zones on the trackpad] are independent of each other," he added.

Other notable features of the controller include the shoulder and trigger buttons and the paddles on the back side. There's also that touch screen in the middle of the controller.

"As a gamer, I don't know if that touch screen is exciting, per se. But as a developer, it's really cool. You can swipe and do gesture motions on the little screen." That screen is a physical button too, offering a tactile "click" for players, an advantage over typical touch screens and pads.
    Chris Remo, designer and writer at The Cave developer Double Fine had a hands-on of the Steam Controller at the San Francisco studio.

Remo played a couple different games: Double Fine's upcoming point-and-click adventure game Broken Age and the already-released platform-adventure game The Cave.

"We just plugged it in, and it worked," he said. "We didn't have special support for it or anything. It worked really, really well. I was really impressed with the mouse imitation. It doesn't feel like a trackpad."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm still on the fence on this one. I have a preference to console style gaming and dispite the "PC master race" could never convince my self that pluggin a PC in to TV is a good idea. At the moment there are three problems and until Valve convince me they have it sorted, the PS4 looks a better buy in my eyes...

SteamOS. How does it work? What does it look like? How much has been designed around a game controller rather than a mouse? Sorry, but the announcement (from what I can see) hasn't said anything but - "look, we've made SteamOS".

Linux without Wine. This is the big one. They need publishers. They need publishers to be talking about developing games. They need publishers to be talking about developing current AAA new release games (Watch_Dogs?). They need publishers to be talking about developing current AAA new release games (Watch_Dogs?) in Linux natively. It's all quiet on the western front.

The other nigling concern is that it's been tried before, and failed. 3DO tried to get a "common hardware platform for gaming that any manufacturer could produce". It was too expensive. I think SteamOS on it's own is the wrong direction. Valve needed to take control of the hardware and release their own device. I suppose the plus here is that anybody can build their own PC and just put the OS on there - but, unless it's pre-install in the shops I can't see that being appealing to the average consumer.
    SteamOS has been developed for a number of reason.
    1. Becuase MS development of directx is terrible and its only succsess is now based on its massive user base and that AAA developers develop for it. DirectX is in direct competition with their Xbox sales, thus the evolution of the API is slower than any other because of it.
    2. PC gamers are slowly dying because the hardware manufacturers are leading the advancments of games, instead of developing for older hardware thats perfectly fine (GTA V Proved this most recenetly) they simply churn out games that use the most powerful hardware instead of optimising it for more users, theres a reason LoL/Dota/minecraft are the biggest games at the moment on PC and its largely because its so accesabile. Consoles don't have this type of hurdle its plug and play. OpenGL will give longer life to hardware as the API is proven better (in AMD anyway)
    3. They do have AAA developers developing for steam. The debugger they made has fixed a lot of hurdles for developers on a time scale.
    4. Valve hired WineHQ. Ages ago.
    5. We THINK steamOS will look like big picture with more control.
    6. Don't worry its not for everyone, there will still people who are perfectly happy with buying a console and paying 40quid for games that cost half that on PC and never know what 60fps in 1080p looks like

Not sure about the touch pad idea. They're useless for gaming on laptops. We'll see though.
    Apparently haptic... heptic... hats! is pretty neat and imitates resistance with fancy magnets. I'll buy one regardless I'm really looking forward to something new. If one of my mates tells me I'd be better at CS:GO with a mechnical keyboard I'm going to be sick. I've got a corsair m65 mouse thats made of space age technology and wizardrie. No tappy fappy keyboard will make me better. SteamPad might though :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    SteamOS has been developed for a number of reason.
    1. Becuase MS development of directx is terrible and its only succsess is now based on its massive user base and that AAA developers develop for it. DirectX is in direct competition with their Xbox sales, thus the evolution of the API is slower than any other because of it.
    If we're talking API's there's alway OpenGL on Windows. Direct-X is not in compition with XBox since it's the same API on both platforms. Even Sony's new GNMX API is based on Direct-X.

2. PC gamers are slowly dying because the hardware manufacturers are leading the advancments of games, instead of developing for older hardware thats perfectly fine (GTA V Proved this most recenetly) they simply churn out games that use the most powerful hardware instead of optimising it for more users, theres a reason LoL/Dota/minecraft are the biggest games at the moment on PC and its largely because its so accesabile. Consoles don't have this type of hurdle its plug and play. OpenGL will give longer life to hardware as the API is proven better (in AMD anyway)
    Are they? Consoles claim 42% of gaming market, says Microsoft - Gaming News - Digital Spy. $12bi says PC gaming is alive and well.

3. They do have AAA developers developing for steam. The debugger they made has fixed a lot of hurdles for developers on a time scale.
    Who? what? games? Detail? GTA:V?

4. Valve hired WineHQ. Ages ago.
    WINE is about Linux compatibility with Windows API's, and (especially for gaming) Direct-X. Seems very counter to the mission statement of SteamOS to me.

5. We THINK steamOS will look like big picture with more control.
    I THINK you are right, but we are doing a lot of thinking - detail?

6. Don't worry its not for everyone, there will still people who are perfectly happy with buying a console and paying 40quid for games that cost half that on PC and never know what 60fps in 1080p looks like
    Story, gameplay, comfort, environement immersion (weather effect, AI, etc), frame rate, then resolution. IMHO. Besides there's no evidence yet that either XB1 or PS4 are not capable of 1080p60 for AAA blockbusters. We just have lunch titles built with game engines ported from PC/current gen. Let's wait and see what the next year brings...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If we're talking API's there's alway OpenGL on Windows. Direct-X is not in compition with XBox since it's the same API on both platforms. Even Sony's new GNMX API is based on Direct-X.
    No but its against their Xbox startergy. Windows dons't advertise itself as a gaming platform, xbox deos. Dx is used this way becauase its the most popular and widley used by developers. Mantle is now a contender.

Are they? Consoles claim 42% of gaming market, says Microsoft - Gaming News - Digital Spy. $12bi says PC gaming is alive and well.
    Consoles have been shown to be gaining market. I'm not saying PC gaming is dead but its trends are noticed.

Who? what? games? Detail? GTA:V?
    No one really knows but if you look at steamDB.info more and more games are showing Linux support. Stuff like rome2 is latest rumoured. My money is on the likes of Bethesda releasing a Linux version of their new MMO as the lead dev has voiced very positive things for SteamOS as well as a number of other developers. RPS, Reddit, Polygon for ref

WINE is about Linux compatibility with Windows API's, and (especially for gaming) Direct-X. Seems very counter to the mission statement of SteamOS to me.
    Granted its compatibility. However these guys know their stuff on making stuff work on linux, from what I understand they worked on the debugger that game devs would use to be able to bundle games for Linux.

I THINK you are right, but we are doing a lot of thinking - detail?
    Agreed, but we can't take away from the fact that this is Valve, the man who made Windows what it is today in the game circles is Gabe and I wouldn't expect anything less!

Story, gameplay, comfort, environement immersion (weather effect, AI, etc), frame rate, then resolution. IMHO. Besides there's no evidence yet that either XB1 or PS4 are not capable of 1080p60 for AAA blockbusters. We just have lunch titles built with game engines ported from PC/current gen. Let's wait and see what the next year brings...
    None of the new launch titles have hit previously quoted spec, the new xbox rome type first person is playing in 900p (is that even a resolution) I'm not saying they can't do it, but they definatly can't do it as easily as PC hardware.

I'll be an early adoptor

Thank Post
    Valve Releases Specs for Prototype Steam Machine « AnandTech

Last week we analyzed Valve’s announcement of their forthcoming SteamOS, Steam Machines, and Steam Controller. There are still a lot of unknowns, but today Valve released the details for their prototype Steam Machine. When the actual Steam Machines begin shipping next year, it will be up to various system builders to decide exactly what configurations they want to ship, but the prototype system will give us a good idea of what to expect in terms of pricing and performance. Here’s what Valve will be shipping to the 300 beta testers in the next month or two – and note that there are going to be multiple CPU and GPU configurations:

Let’s quickly talk about pricing. Note that Valve’s statement mentions, “The hardware specs of [the retail Steam Machines] will differ, in many cases substantially, from our prototype.” There will be some Steam Machines likely priced close to $500, while others will probably cost $2000 or more. There’s a lot of wiggle room, but with a basic case and H81 motherboard the Core i3 + GTX 660 Steam Machine has a hardware cost of approximately $675 retail. Just the CPU and GPU alone at the high-end will set you back $1300+, with the total cost coming in around $1650. Ouch. And that’s not including a controller of any form.

Obviously the hardware manufacturers aren’t going to be paying retail prices for bulk orders, but even so there’s a long way to go before Valve’s Steam Machines would be even close to the pricing of the PS4 ($400) and Xbox One ($500). Okay, maybe the Xbox One is at least in reach, but only for the least expensive prototype Valve is sending out.

For what’s essentially a full-blown gaming PC, $600 is reasonable, but we have yet to see what the actual SteamOS experience will be like. There are rumors Valve will be building off Ubuntu (nothing confirmed that I know of), and just having a Linux kernel means it’s possible to run other Linux applications. Add a keyboard and mouse and if you’re willing to learn a new OS you should be able to do just about anything you need.

As noted in our original analysis, the bigger obstacle to overcome is the lack of native versions of so many games. Streaming means you would have to have a second gaming PC elsewhere in the house, and if you already have that I’m not sure even a $400 Steam Machine would be all that big a draw. Still, we haven’t been able to actually try out SteamOS yet, so we’ll withhold any judgment until it starts shipping.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [Censored] you beat me to it

I was still reading it on Ars.

I can see these being expensive... the i7/Titan even more so.

And just when I was thinking about forgoing a gaming PC and getting a SteamBox.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I can see these being expensive... the i7/Titan even more so.
    Even if you make do with a GTX 780, it will still be over £1,000.

Code:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£215.99 @ Aria PC) 
    Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£61.37 @ Dabs) 
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£109.99 @ Amazon UK) 
    Storage: Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (£66.60 @ CCL Computers) 
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  (£544.79 @ Aria PC) 
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case  (£64.34 @ Amazon UK) 
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  (£77.28 @ Novatech) 
    Other: SteamOS (£0.00)
    Total: £1140.36

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    And just when I was thinking about forgoing a gaming PC and getting a SteamBox.
    Considering the game streaming feature is limited to Windows PCs and Mac's, you might as well get one of those cheap (~£100?) Steam Boxes, connect that to a TV and build your own/upgrade your existing gaming PC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why has noone batted an eyelid at the case?
    Am I the only one thinking "Holy Mother of <insert deity here>" - an i7 4770 and Titan, with 1TB SSHD in a 12"x12"x3" case?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast