+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Gaming Thread, Steambox, would you buy one? HL8 Confirmed. in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth Plus if you have a powerful steambox which has steam os on it you're really limiting ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Plus if you have a powerful steambox which has steam os on it you're really limiting yourself. On a windows machine you could do internet browsing, watch on demand, edit photos and more but if you shove steam os on a computer you're not going to be able to do anything but game so surely even if AAA titles came out on it people would still choose to run windows on their systems as they can do so much more. Steam would love people to just use their OS for one reason price they only give you one store to buy from and that's steam! Where as on a Windows computer I compare PC Download prices with Steam, Amazon, Game and find the best deal! (which normally isn't steam)

They are taking away all the freedom from being a PC gamer being able to add mods will be a struggle also as I'm guessing you won't have a simple file explorer to mod files. I'm all for making PC games become better known and used but they've really not thought about this!
    Hang on - isn't this their chief complaint with Windows 8.x and the Windows Store?
    Why would they complain loudly about Win8.x and then go and do the same thing themselves...??

Thank Post
    This is what slightly frustrates me Alienware are more expensive do to the sheer quality of the materials used and if you add them all up together Alienware make around £60 profit per machine (though I'm sure they buy in bulk for a bigger discount) Thinks like built in Bose speakers would have cost a fortune and they do an half make a difference to your gaming experience! I could name loads more such as the keyboard has reinforced aluminium behind so you can't break the keys when you game but I don't want to bore you to much. QUALITY not quantity is always the better option in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bushby View Post
    im going to be building a new gaming rig soon and have made the choice of making it a mini itx so that will be my steambox however it wont be steamos untill i can build a second machine that will host the games that wont run on the steamos so that it can be streamed. and i could do it all for the cost of the alienware box :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Plus if you have a powerful steambox which has steam os on it you're really limiting yourself. On a windows machine you could do internet browsing, watch on demand, edit photos and more but if you shove steam os on a computer you're not going to be able to do anything but game so surely even if AAA titles came out on it people would still choose to run windows on their systems as they can do so much more. Steam would love people to just use their OS for one reason price they only give you one store to buy from and that's steam! Where as on a Windows computer I compare PC Download prices with Steam, Amazon, Game and find the best deal! (which normally isn't steam)

They are taking away all the freedom from being a PC gamer being able to add mods will be a struggle also as I'm guessing you won't have a simple file explorer to mod files. I'm all for making PC games become better known and used but they've really not thought about this!
    I take it you've not ran SteamOS? it has a file explorer, it has other linux software. You can run an office productivity suite etc... So, it actually opens things up more to you as you are also running Linux which is open source.

Thank Post
    If you look on Youtube etc... Steam OS is basically a bigger Steam store with the same options as you get in steam! Unless they are planning on adding support to download game from anywhere but I highly doubt that feature will come along anytime. Plus I've installed third party apps not hosted on the Windows app store before with some messing about with files so it is possible if you look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Hang on - isn't this their chief complaint with Windows 8.x and the Windows Store?
    Why would they complain loudly about Win8.x and then go and do the same thing themselves...??

Thank Post
    Ah I stand corrected haha, Watching the youtube videos last year just showed Steam store in big view with a library and nothing else, did they add these features recently then if so that's a lot better good on steam!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    @alexbillbridgnorth - I'm sorry but you're obviously talking about something you don't know a lot about. SteamOS has always been Linux based. This is why we have the chicken and egg situation whereby AAA producers need to support Linux but won't if there isn't a strong enough user base. Valve want to create this user base with the help of SteamOS, but will struggle until at least one AAA producer takes a leap of faith. It's all riding on Valve getting good third party support at this point.

The way I see it, SteamOS is trying to bridge that gap between console and PC gaming - they want to create an environment that's as easy to use as a console while maintaining the upgrade-ability and general future proof nature of a PC. This comes at the cost of "removing" (they're still there in the background but not as obvious as a Windows/Ubuntu PC for instance) some of the things you'd normally use a PC for but then that's not the point - this is intended as a purely-for-gaming machine, not your general purpose PC.

I'm not convinced it will work at the moment as we're getting closer and closer to release and yet we still haven't heard anything that would make most people take the leap. Valve are going to need some awesome launch titles to get this off the ground, possibly even making them SteamOS exclusive for the first couple of months (though that will create a backlash from seasoned Steam users so might not be the best idea).

As for your comments RE Steam forcing you to buy everything from them - sorry, that's just wrong. You can shop around for Steam keys to get them cheaper, although to be honest I find Steam's own prices very reasonable usually, especially if you wait for the regular sales. Valve displays less of a monopoly over Steam titles than MS or Sony do over the XB1/PS4 - you only have to look at the sheer number and variety of titles available to see that. Yeah OK, wherever you buy your Steam keys from, Valve still control the DRM, but that's no different to any of the consoles, they all produce their own discs or have only their own store available for downloads. Additionally, you can add any game/program installed on your machine to your Steam library. Granted it's only a shortcut, but this opens up the possibility of adding other Linux titles (not a lot of those outside of Steam admittedly) to your SteamOS menu and continue to launch them from there. No way to do anything like that with a console.

Nobody mentioned Alienware so far as I can tell so I'm not sure where that came from but when it comes to pre-built PCs, it's simple - if you want an easy life, buy prebuilt. If you want VFM (and know what you're doing), build your own. Simple.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 8th January 2014 at 12:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's a good point. About 30% of my Steam library has come from Humble Bundle purchases and boxed media with a steam key included.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Valve are going to need some awesome launch titles to get this off the ground, possibly even making them SteamOS exclusive for the first couple of months (though that will create a backlash from seasoned Steam users so might not be the best idea).
    And here in lies the problem: Valve won't develop exclusive games for SteamOS, Steam Machines | Joystiq

Valve are not interested in system exclusives. They're are not really interested in defining the hardware (see the disperate nature of machines annouced, and wild price fluctuations - no real standards). They are only really interested in promoting the OS because they "don't like Windows 8". Not making the best reading for a business model no matter how good the core idea of a "steam machine" might be.

They need to be stricter on hardware standardisation and they need AAA exclusives. I don't think they will get either...

Thank Post
    @LosOjos - Some very good points there. I didn't do enough research into the OS I just saw a YouTube video a while back and all it showed was basically a big steam library. Just because it's Linux based doesn't mean you automatically get Linux components. People put their own "skin" on top of Linux limiting or enabling people to do certain things. So for example if Valve decided they didn't want you to use anything else and just force run Steam at startup and have generic Linux running in the background they could. I'm pretty sure when it was first announced all they were going to offer you to use was Steam Store platform restricting you from using anything else. Then gamers complained and Valve have been adding more functionality I just haven't kept myself updated and I apologise for that. Yes you can shop around for STEAM keys but as you said STEAM still own it meaning you still need to go through STEAM to download the game and no matter where you go, Greenman Gaming etc... STEAM still set the prices for Greenman Gaming to offer it at a discounted price it's all about marketing. But you can't download a game from Amazon or anywhere like that... UPlay etc.... That's the issue so I don't think you're right there steam are locking you into their platform and the whole point of PC gaming and especially Linux is that you should be able to acquire these games where you see fit, it's open platform for god sake.

Bottom line - it won't work!

Thank Post
    @alexbillbridgnorth - we could go round in circles all day with this but I think you're missing the point of the Steam box - it's not intended to replace your PC, it's there to provide Steam games in a console style format. It's a totally new way of doing things (or at least the first attempt by a major company) and I think the potential is fantastic, the problem is that they're kind of falling victim to their own success. There are people with HUGE Steam libraries who would theoretically be your early uptakers (I have over 150 games and I wouldn't class myself as a hardcore gamer by any means) BUT those people already own their own gaming PCs that many of them have spent a fortune on, so they're unlikely to buy a new box just for Steam and they'll also be hesitant to convert their existing box as it is their main PC also (I'm making sweeping generalisations here I know). You've got to stop looking at the Steam box as a PC and start looking at it as what it is - a console. It's not like any other console out there, granted it's a lot more like a PC, but the aim (or so it seems) is to break in to the console market. All consoles lock you in to their infrastructure and Steam is no different.

As for your bottom line - unfortunately, as much as I'd like SteamOS to take off, I don't think it will. Valve have handled it poorly.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 8th January 2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Steam/SteamOS - too many...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Steam don't set the prices at all. Prices are set by the company selling the game. Steam just get a cut, like with any reseller.

Also, SteamOS has never been announced as being locked to the Steam library alone, in fact it would fly directly in the face of Gabe's views on lock-in. The first release of the software to download is like a normal Linux OS. The Steam client for Linux was the precursor for it also - and that runs on Ubuntu and (with fettling) other distros.

SteamOS was a reaction to Microsoft's initial announcements to increase lock-in in Windows - they discussed only allowing installation from the Windows Store, eliminating things like Steam entirely. They also at one point wanted to lock machines down to prevent dual booting outside of an OEM setting it up (ie. removing home users ability to install Linux), but everyone and their brother argued against this and they now release SecureBoot records without too much hassle.

Thank Post
    This post may be slightly old but here we go anyway. Yes and No. I would (And have to an extent) consider buying a Steambox, especially with SteamOS looming around the corner. However, much like when ANY new OS comes out, I would wait. It could be a huge flop, we have never seen an OS from valve before and if the rumours are true and it is just a glorified version of steams "Big Picture" view then I wouldn't bother.
    On the other hand I love the idea of having a customizable console for friends and family to enjoy the extent of PC gaming on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Steam Controller ditches the touchscreen for better backwards compatibility « The Verge

According to two game developers tweeting from Valve's Steam Dev Days developer summit, Valve has decided to remove the controller's central touchscreen. While it sounds like the gamepad's twin trackpads will remain intact, the touchscreen was deemed redundant and possibly even distracting from games, as Valve wants players looking at the television instead of their hands. That doesn't mean there won't be customizable controls in the center of the gamepad, though. Players will simply use a feature that Valve's calling "ghost mode."

We saw an early demo of "ghost mode" at Valve's headquarters a few months ago, and it's fairly simple: when you move your thumb on the Steam Controller's touchpad, you can see a ghostly image of your thumb on your TV screen as well, and you can press virtual buttons placed there.
    Last edited by Arthur; 16th January 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Raspberry Pi and Android become Steam Machines with Limelight « CNet

Limelight Pi is a client (written in Java with JNI bindings for decoding) for Nvidia Gamestream. You can use it to stream games from your computer to your Raspberry Pi. It's port of Limelight PC which is available on https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-pc. It uses the hardware for video decoding and the cpu for audio decoding (The opus codec is currently unsupported by the hardware). (Source)

Thank Post
    I was reading with interest about Valve's plans to implement something very similar in SteamOS. Whether the performance will be any better than this or not is anyone's guess but it's a great way to easily hook up another room with your Steam library

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast